Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

He's the kind of player we should have bought instead of Trezeguet.

Man, Trezeguet sucks. 

He was also about 23 million cheaper 

England U18 player Jeremy Sarmiento is rumored back to England from Benfica. Anyone know anything about him?

I'm really hoping we keep targeting young players in the ilk of Barry because it's the only way we'll be able to get them. That step where they feel they have to move to further their development by playing against better opposition. (Yes I know Barca and Benfica are both bigger clubs than Villa). Once they get to 20 or so bigger guns will have taken them.

For this to happen thou we firstly have to keep hold of the big talents we have in the youth teams and equally important show that we are willing to give young players a chance with the seniors if they show promise. Something Villa have been terrible at for ages.

Anyway, Jeremy Sarmiento, anyone know anything about him?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, sne said:

England U18 player Jeremy Sarmiento is rumored back to England from Benfica. Anyone know anything about him?

I'm really hoping we keep targeting young players in the ilk of Barry because it's the only way we'll be able to get them. That step where they feel they have to move to further their development by playing against better opposition. (Yes I know Barca and Benfica are both bigger clubs than Villa). Once they get to 20 or so bigger guns will have taken them.

For this to happen thou we firstly have to keep hold of the big talents we have in the youth teams and equally important show that we are willing to give young players a chance with the seniors if they show promise. Something Villa have been terrible at for ages.

Anyway, Jeremy Sarmiento, anyone know anything about him?

Have we been linked with him? I suppose being English, this might be a Portuguese player that Wolves are less than 99% likely to sign. 

41 minutes ago, thabucks said:

What about Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg . The right age and highly rated at Bayern but haven’t seen enough oh him ... Calling our resident scout @Villan4Life ... is he a suitable player or too similar to Luiz & Nakamba ?

Plays for Southampton now (joined for around £12.5mil in 2016) He was very promising at Bayern but i feel he hasn't really stood out for Southampton in his few years there.

Rumours Spurs are linked... i feel for what Southampton would be after for him there is better options out there.

He's a better player than Nakamba. Has similar potential to Luiz.

Just my view of course. UTV

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Thanks 1

Edens was quoted recently as saying that he'd been speaking to the Liverpool and Arsenal owners about player recruitment, saying that we need to get the data right, so seems he knows that things need to improve in this regard, what changes it leads to in our recruitment policy though remains to be seen.

All I took from that is we'd continue to scout under 25 players with minimal top level experience.

When you think of guys like Mellberg, Laursen, Bouma, Petrov, Carew etc they'd all played for their countries in major tournaments and/or the champions league and we got them all for reasonable fees. Those players helped us to 6th place finishes so that's the template to find some more players of that ilk who can help our inexperienced players. Carew obviously helped Gabby at the time develop.

Edited by VillaChris

Smith was quoted the other day as saying that he wanted more premier league experience in the summer...

"We made a lot of changes during the summer as everybody knows," he said. "You look back and you think in hindsight would we have done anything differently? We'd have probably wanted a lot more experience of the Premier League but, at that time, we couldn't get it. It was either too expensive or unobtainable, so we did the business that we did."

Pressreader

6 minutes ago, useless said:

Smith was quoted the other day as saying that he wanted more premier league experience in the summer...

"We made a lot of changes during the summer as everybody knows," he said. "You look back and you think in hindsight would we have done anything differently? We'd have probably wanted a lot more experience of the Premier League but, at that time, we couldn't get it. It was either too expensive or unobtainable, so we did the business that we did."

Pressreader

"I don't want anymore of Suso's shit signings"

• Like 1

I did read DS saying that in the Birmingham Post last week but then the article referenced the ones DS actually wanted....Kalvin Phillips, Benharama and Naul Maupay. Now as good as those look/looked in the championship that dosen't strike me as huge top level experience right there at club or international level. We also considered Gary Cahill of course but club decided against it, whether that was DS or Suso call I don't know.

Just now, VillaChris said:

I did read DS saying that in the Birmingham Post last week but then the article referenced the ones DS actually wanted....Kalvin Phillips, Benharama and Naul Maupay. Now as good as those look/looked in the championship that dosen't strike me as huge top level experience right there at club or international level. We also considered Gary Cahill of course but club decided against it, whether that was DS or Suso call I don't know.

Them 3 would of cost us close to 100 mil  that was the issue 

Our issue was also none of the players we let go brought in any significant fee's so it was all Net outlay and we had to Spend a significant sum just to keep Mings and AEG 

2 minutes ago, Nabby said:

Them 3 would of cost us close to 100 mil  that was the issue 

Our issue was also none of the players we let go brought in any significant fee's so it was all Net outlay and we had to Spend a significant sum just to keep Mings and AEG 

I've watched Kalvin Phillips much more this year. He's a pretty decent DM but it's stretching it a bit to think he could've transformed us like Ngolo Kante did for Leicester.

Maupay did well for Brighton up to xmas and the had fizzled out since then. Often quoted on here he hasn't scored much more than Wesley.

Benrahama is pretty skilful but we've seen before those types struggle at higher levels. Whenever I see him I think of Adel Taarabt who really struggled in premier league for QPR.

If those were our top 3 summer targets I'm struggling to see how much more we'd have had to bring in 3-4 good experienced solid pros unless it would've just been free transfers like Cahill would've been.

Perhaps we wanted to sign them instead of the likes of Jota but he actually came in right at the start of the transfer window, we signed him second week of June.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

I've watched Kalvin Phillips much more this year. He's a pretty decent DM but it's stretching it a bit to think he could've transformed us like Ngolo Kante did for Leicester.

Maupay did well for Brighton up to xmas and the had fizzled out since then. Often quoted on here he hasn't scored much more than Wesley.

Benrahama is pretty skilful but we've seen before those types struggle at higher levels. Whenever I see him I think of Adel Taarabt who really struggled in premier league for QPR.

If those were our top 3 summer targets I'm struggling to see how much more we'd have had to bring in 3-4 good experienced solid pros unless it would've just been free transfers like Cahill would've been.

Perhaps we wanted to sign them instead of the likes of Jota but he actually came in right at the start of the transfer window, we signed him second week of June.

Maupay as far as I have read, Brentford quoted us more than he went for so we moved for Wesley

Benrahama I think is very good but again they wanted silly money and he was injured at beginning of season. Everyone knows we have 2 rich owners so you can bet they prices quoted all inflated and with no Prem exp to spend 90-100 mil on those 3 was too much and Maupay has 8 goals to Wesley 5 , with Wes not playing since Jan

We probably were interested in Maupay,  Phillips and Benrahma, but I think the article was just guessing when they tied them with Smith's quotes about wanting more premier league experience, especially considering that those players hadn't even played in the premier league as of last summer. I don't think it's specifically premier league experience that we need/needed, players of similar experience from other top european leagues would probably be just as beneficial as long as they're decent players to begin with.

I think its tough for teams going up to get in PL exp or even oversea's .

I think Cahill was the CB we wanted but he didn't want to leave London other than him I am struggling to think of a CB that moved in Summer we could of gotten.

2 minutes ago, Nabby said:

I think its tough for teams going up to get in PL exp or even oversea's .

I think Cahill was the CB we wanted but he didn't want to leave London other than him I am struggling to think of a CB that moved in Summer we could of gotten.

Adam Webster who went from Bristol City to Brighton, I’ve only seen him a few times on tv. I thought he was excellent at Villa Park for Brighton