Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

10 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Why the hell didn't we got for Benrahma over Trezeguet?

Would have cost at least twice as much, but he is twice as good I suppose.

Could have got Robert Skov in ahead of Trez, also twice the player but cost the same. Or Filip Kostic, also twice the player but half the price.

Many many many options, including just keeping the £10m was a better choice than lumber ourselves with Trezeguet.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Could have got Robert Skov in ahead of Trez, also twice the player but cost the same. Or Filip Kostic, also twice the player but half the price.

Many many many options, including just keeping the £10m was a better choice than lumber ourselves with Trezeguet.

Lumbering ourselves with Trezeguet? I think for the price we paid, he has done well, £8.75m in today’s market is nothing. £20m doesn’t even guarantee you a good Premier League player these days 

9 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

He’s far more than twice as good IMO, but the price would be the issue as you point out. I guess at the time we couldn’t spend that much on one player when we needed a whole new team.

If we stay up though, I hope going forwards we would spend double on quality rather than half on 2x kind of shite players. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

For me, this Summer’s transfer activity is vital for the club as always, we need to go all out for me. Obviously, we need to have a strategy, rather than just spending for the sake of it. It is imperative for the club that we stay in the Premier League but if the worst happens and we do get relegated, I’d back Smith to bring us straight back up, that’s the worst case scenario. For me, we need to stick with Smith whatever happens, chopping and changing manager doesn’t help anyone

I think the strategy will already be in place, list A and list B, list A for if we miraculously turn things around and stay up but most likely list B should we be relegated. List B will be a lot shorter than list A. Completely disagree on Smith needs to go if we are relegated (should probably go anyway) but that's for another thread.

5 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Lumbering ourselves with Trezeguet? I think for the price we paid, he has done well, £8.75m in today’s market is nothing. £20m doesn’t even guarantee you a good Premier League player these days 

Buy cheap buy twice! He's simply not good enough for the PL.

Will be OK if we go down though.

5 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I'd agree he has bought us some goals, at times those goals were the kind of goals that we desperately needed and on occasions sure Trez won us the match.

If anything we  wed to keep him and Ghazi around for a while push them out to be subs and have much better playing in the positions.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dave-R said:

I'd agree he has bought us some goals, at times those goals were the kind of goals that we desperately needed and on occasions sure Trez won us the match.

If anything we  wed to keep him and Ghazi around for a while push them out to be subs and have much better playing in the positions.

Do you know of anyone we could poach? Dwight McNeil perhaps?.

5 hours ago, zab6359 said:

Buy cheap buy twice! He's simply not good enough for the PL.

Will be OK if we go down though.

Disagree. I think he’ll struggle in the championship. He’s not quick enough, fit enough or clever enough to make it over here. 

• Like 1

Another summer where we will be forced to do our business super quick and late due to uncertainty of what league we will be in.

Last year the transfer window was 3 weeks shorter than normal because of that silly change that it had to close before the first round and we went up via the play off.

This year it's just chaos. No one knows anything about anything. It's going to be a mess again.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, sne said:

Another summer where we will be forced to do our business super quick and late due to uncertainty of what league we will be in.

Last year the transfer window was 3 weeks shorter than normal because of that silly change that it had to close before the first round and we went up via the play off.

This year it's just chaos. No one knows anything about anything. It's going to be a mess again.

Anyone using just agents to get all their players will get lumbered with some right shit.

Oh dear.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Anyone using just agents to get all their players will get lumbered with some right shit.

Oh dear.

Yeah let's hope we don't do all our scouting via Björn Engels agents contacts this summer regardless of what league we end up in.

We are linking with 33 year old Jose Callejon. Who's out of contract in summer.  His agent is Manuel Garcia Quilon, a long-time associate of sporting director Jesus Garcia Pitarch.

Manuel Garcia Quilon also looks after Baston and Pepe Reina.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-everton-handed-boost-18333812

Jose Callejon is a striker in demand.

The experienced forward is set to leave Napoli on a free transfer in the next window, and Aston Villa are one of the sides who have been credited with an interest in him.

They’ve been joined by Everton, who are currently managed by Callejon’s former Napoli boss Carlo Ancelotti. 

Callejon, once of Real Madrid, has been in Naples since 2013 and in that time he’s gone on to make over 330 appearances for the club, but his time is now up and at the age of 33 he’s looking for his next career move.

Sevilla, Getafe and Valencia have all been touted as potential destinations for Callejon, who would all offer him the opportunity to return home to his native Spain, though the latest reports from Spain claim that Valencia are not as keen as first believed - that would mean one less rival for Callejon’s signature for Villa, who it has been suggested were interested in Callejon in January.

They ended up with Mbwana Samatta and Borja Baston.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, zab6359 said:

I think the strategy will already be in place, list A and list B, list A for if we miraculously turn things around and stay up but most likely list B should we be relegated. List B will be a lot shorter than list A. 

I think list B will be longer than list A - if we stay up we need five or six and if we go down, we'll lose five or six before we even start looking at additions. 

11 hours ago, Spoony said:

He’s far more than twice as good IMO, but the price would be the issue as you point out. I guess at the time we couldn’t spend that much on one player when we needed a whole new team.

If we stay up though, I hope going forwards we would spend double on quality rather than half on 2x kind of shite players. 

Benrahma also had quite a bad ankle injury during the summer window from what I remember.  I'm sure we would have enquired about him, same with Maupay.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Just watching Football Focus, would anyone take Andros Townsend? I’ve always admired him 

You are Tim Sherwood, maybe we should bring in Aaron Lennon on the right and Jake Livermore to partner Drinkwater in the middle 😉

• Haha 2