Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I think he would keep struggling under your previous coach.

Kolo and Brendan seem to have made the difference. Not just with him but the whole team. That's what good coaches does, they improve players.

Definitely agree. I've always thought that Brendan was a bit shaky on the defensive side of things but Kolo seems to have made a difference.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Well, I disagree, he has already had success here. If he keeps us up this season, then we can push on

He just doesn't seem to be able to build a defence. It's not possible to survive in the Premier League without being defensively responsible.If he keeps Villa up then a bona fide defensive coach is needed.

11 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Well, I disagree, he has already had success here. If he keeps us up this season, then we can push on

Success? If we get relegated we are back to square one.

4 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

If he keeps Villa up then a bona fide defensive coach is needed.

It's the style of play though.

You can have the best defensive coach in the world but when the fullbacks and midfield are bombing forward you'll always leave yourself exposed at the back.

Defensive set pieces has been a joke though. A defensive coach can absolutely improve there.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

It's the style of play though.

You can have the best defensive coach in the world but when the fullbacks and midfield are bombing forward you'll always leave yourself exposed at the back.

Defensive set pieces has been a joke though. A defensive coach can absolutely improve there.

Then the problem lies with Smith if he can't organize a team to cover for players pushing forward. I'm all for offence but there has to be a plan in place to protect the defence.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gurru991 said:

Then the problem lies with Smith if he can't organize a team to cover for players pushing forward. I'm all for offence but there has to be a plan in place to protect the defence.

The system being the problem has been obvious for me all season.

It's been naive. It's the same with Norwich.

What has shocked me the most is not being able to defend defensive set pieces. Such a basic thing and it doesn't seem to get addressed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gurru991 said:

He just doesn't seem to be able to build a defence. It's not possible to survive in the Premier League without being defensively responsible.If he keeps Villa up then a bona fide defensive coach is needed.

Is JT not esteemed enough for you? I agree with the rest of your post though, you have to build from the back and take it from there. In the early weeks, we looked great at the back with the back 6 of Heaton-Guilbert-Engels-Mings-Targett-Nakamba. Hopefully, when the season resumes, we can get back to that

29 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Is JT not esteemed enough for you? I agree with the rest of your post though, you have to build from the back and take it from there. In the early weeks, we looked great at the back with the back 6 of Heaton-Guilbert-Engels-Mings-Targett-Nakamba. Hopefully, when the season resumes, we can get back to that

JT was an amazing defender but he has shown me nothing as a defensive co-ordinator. The verdict is still open on him for me right now. I don't know the politics between DS & JT and don't know how much freedom JT has but he is not proven for me yet.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, John said:

With Dutch football now suspended again,  if we stay up, we might be able to buy a bargain or three at a decent price. 

Is Sneijder still available.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

JT was an amazing defender but he has shown me nothing as a defensive co-ordinator. The verdict is still open on him for me right now. I don't know the politics between DS & JT and don't know how much freedom JT has but he is not proven for me yet.

I think you are right

16 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

But he isn't hired as a defensive coach.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

But he isn't hired as a defensive coach.

So you don't feel he has anything to do with the defence ?