Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

I'd put caution to picking brentford dry, one maybe two players at most, cant go turning this place into Brentford 2.0.

Need to be looking else where for talent to.

Surely brentford will now need the money and prices will drop for there stars since no premier league for them which I feel for.

1 minute ago, jonjon said:

I agree with that, I have seen most home games this season and that was the worst performance of the lot, not one of our players turned up last night, disappointed, yes I am, downhearted, no I'm not, after our amazing run we just run out of steam in the last few games.

Benrahama, Watkins & Henry we expect to be sold, no doubt for a good profit, as usual we appear to have replacements lined up ready for this, just looking to go again with better luck next season.

I now can't see Chelsea being in the frame for any of them, Villa would appear to be favorites for one of them.

Gutted for you guys mate. I agree with you, that was not the "Good" Brentford which turned up last night at all.

Someone in another thread wondered if there was a "mentality" issue, how is it that the team is so good but often fail at the last hurdle?

You really should have gone up automatically.

It happens though.

• Like 2

Finally watched Odsonne Edouard highlights based on the countless suggestions here.

Looks very good, however doesn't look like a straight up striker to me.

Seems another which often actually collects the ball from deep as well?

Don't we have enough "Defensive forwards" as some of us put it? lol

"Eze is sensational" highlight reel is probably still the one I'm most impressed by so far.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

36 minutes ago, hippo said:

I don't think Benrahma to Leeds is that off the wall TBH.  i don't think Chelsea will follow up there interest. I think he is known to Smith so that would give us the edge IMO 

I can see him going to Leeds but if he had the choice I'd be surprised if he picked them over us.

Anyway, we've had window after window to sign him and Smith has never pursued. I certainly wouldn't lose sleep if we missed out. But we need somebody of his quality in.

10 hours ago, M_Afro said:

If we offered Celtic £25m they would have to take it. That’s huge money for them. I think we may be able to tempt him too. Make it happen Dean 

They took 20m for Dembele and he was slightly better than edouard

If you were going solely on the evidence of last night’s playoff final then the players that looked better transfer prospects were probably Josh Onomah, Joe Bryan, and Rico Henry. And we know two of them very well. I think us fans can have a tendency to hype players far too much, and we should know better after the struggles of the season just gone. The Premier League is very different gravy to the championship (or Belgian, Scottish, insert many other countries leagues) and many creative/goal scoring players that have lit up other leagues simply cannot cut it in the Premier League, certainly not straight away. We need 2 or 3 players minimum who are at a level where the expectation is that they can and will hit the ground running, rather than players that you think and hope will come good. We have to seriously up our salary expectations as well as transfer fee expectations. I’m encouraged by the reports of a potential new contract for Grealish that’ll give him a 6 figure salary, players like him in the Premier League are on salaries in the region of £120k per week. If we don’t want players such as Mings having their heads turned by, say, an Everton, then we’re going to have to pay them accordingly. The reality is that clubs such as Bournemouth have been paying players 6 figure salaries. BOURNEMOUTH. We’ll seriously need to up our game in the season ahead, with clubs such as Leeds and Fulham replacing clubs like Bournemouth and Watford, the competition will be even more fierce. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hard to get too excited about a Celtic Striker. He does look good in highlights but Celtic is a special club in that league, they should be favourites to win every game they play. Even Scott Sinclair was tearing it up at one point for them. Although moussa Dembele has gone to Lyon and has a 1 in 2 record which is very impressive... 

3 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Benrahma looked every bit to me like the only player on the pitch who already knew he was in the PL next season. 

Look at the difference in intensity between him and Joe Bryan. Particularly in the last 20 mins when Brentford needed him most he clearly wasn't as bothered as everyone else. 

Question marks around his character maybe? But the ability is there no question, whether he's strong enough mentality and physically is an open question which given Jota's struggles I am sure will have been considered by the club. Is he better than El Ghazi and Trez, yes by a mile so he improves us no doubt. Is he better than other options available at his price. Only the club knows the real prices so we are just guessing really. 

Overall I'd still be very pleased to bring him in. Think he'd link up very well with Jack, Doug and Super John. 

Benrahma has a bit of nasty steak to him, elbowed someone in a game against Hull but managed to make it look sufficiently accidental so that there was no retrospective punishment. Wouldn't surprise me if that nature extends to other aspects of his character. We need some steel  and dare I say it, someone a bit aggressive. Our team has been way too soft for as long as I can remember.

20 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Would keep Trez, sell Ghazi and Jota.

I would keep all 3 and add 2 additional quality wingers.

We need to add quality and develop depth, the new season will be compact and tough on players, we need squad depth.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

------------------------------Watkins-----------------------------

Benhrama--------------Grealish---------------Buendia

-------------Douglas Luiz----------McGinn----------------

Shouldn't cost more than £70m. 

Sell Samatta and Trez for a bit of it and get that Scottish Left back in as cover for £1.5m and we've still got money for a CB and a RB.

Simples.

Don't think Watkins is anything better than decent at prem level and that's in a couple of years. 3 playmakers, player who do their best work with the ball and spend more time behind or alongside the ball when in possession means we'd be too static. You need one of your three constantly making forward runs and looking to get into the box with the striker. No real pace there either, which means teams will push up force us onto the back foot and make up play on the counter, neither Benrahma or Buendia offer any real protection to the fullbacks, so our defensively weak fullbacks will be constantly pressured. Another relegation dogfight likely!

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, jonjon said:

I agree with that, I have seen most home games this season and that was the worst performance of the lot, not one of our players turned up last night, disappointed, yes I am, downhearted, no I'm not, after our amazing run we just run out of steam in the last few games.

Benrahama, Watkins & Henry we expect to be sold, no doubt for a good profit, as usual we appear to have replacements lined up ready for this, just looking to go again with better luck next season.

I now can't see Chelsea being in the frame for any of them, Villa would appear to be favorites for one of them.

On the up side I think Frank's assessment was pretty good, getting to the final and being within minutes of the Premier League from how things were earlier in the season was a big achievement. I'd back you lot to be in the frame for top 2 if you have a good summer.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I would keep all 3 and add 2 additional quality wingers.

We need to add quality and develop depth, the new season will be compact and tough on players, we need squad depth.

I'd ship out Jota and El Ghazi. One just isn't prem quality and the later lacks stomach for a fight!

Anyone following Chinese or South Korean football?  

Apparently a lot of clubs are looking at S Korean CB Kim Min-jae who playing in China and is available for really cheap money. £1.5m or so.

Not watching my self but he looks great on Youtube :D . Apparently Red Bull Leipzig are among the clubs interested and they have quite they eye for CB's so might be worth a look.

He looks really fast, big, tall and strong with good technique and passing while also good in the air and the other stuff you want a CB to excel at. Only 23 y.o.

"The next van Dijk" and yada yada.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

I’d be going all out to obtain Ismaila Sarr. Exactly what we need in our team. Pace, power, goals. Big threat to pressing teams. Combine him on the right wing with, say, Iheanacho as CF, and you’ve got some serious improvement in pace and power compared to ElGhazi and Samatta. Seriously more goal threat. In our position I’d happily part with circa £80m to get the pair of them. Huge upgrade. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Gutted for you guys mate. I agree with you, that was not the "Good" Brentford which turned up last night at all.

Someone in another thread wondered if there was a "mentality" issue, how is it that the team is so good but often fail at the last hurdle?

You really should have gone up automatically.

It happens though.

It happens quite often doesn't it when the 3rd placed team loses an automatic promotion place which they had held for a while. It seems to just take the wind out of their sails and they struggle in the playoffs afterwards.

• Like 1

Ok, here is my take on the transfer window.

I wouldnt let any player other than Lansbury, Taylor and a couple of keepers leave. Still think we need to keep as much of the squad together as I think alot of them have the ability to grow as they have a PL season under their belts.

I would like to sign 5, maybe 6 players. I also wouldnt be against using the loan market, for example an experienced keeper until Heaton is fit and thereafter compete with him or a winger from the "bigger" clubs (eg. Hudson-Odoi) if we couldnt land our targets. The position of the 6 players: Striker, LW, RW/striker, CM, LB and GK.

My suggestions:

GK: An experienced goalkeeper on loan, should be an older head. There must be decent keepers out there not really getting game time at some big european clubs.

LB: Ludwig Agustinsson, Werder Bremen, 26 yo. Swedish international, sweet left foot, great pro, Lange connections, should enter his prime. Availiable for 7m £

CM: Weston Mckennie, Schalke 04, all action central midfielder. 25m£

LW: Eberechi Eze, QPR. Rumours they´ll want 16m £. Could also play central behind the striker.

RW/Striker: Ollie Watkins, Brentford. Rumours of a 18 m£ release clause. Works hard, really good at pressing, can score goals, can play out wide as well as a striker.

Striker: Odsonne Edouard, Celtic. Would 35m £ be enough? Scores alot of goals, is young and has the potential to be even better in the future.

That would land at approx 101 m£

Really decent players as I see it, only problem is they experienced enough? Can they cut it in the PL? After all, when everyone fit we have a decent spine of the team, Heaton-Mings-McGinn-Grealish.

Oh, and by the way, my transfer targets change everyday...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

I’d be going all out to obtain Ismaila Sarr. Exactly what we need in our team. Pace, power, goals. Big threat to pressing teams. Combine him on the right wing with, say, Iheanacho as CF, and you’ve got some serious improvement in pace and power compared to ElGhazi and Samatta. Seriously more goal threat. In our position I’d happily part with circa £80m to get the pair of them. Huge upgrade. 

I'd agree with that, but I Iheanacho is inconsistent so I wouldn't pay more than 20m for him. We can get Sarr for 40m I'd have thought.

34 minutes ago, jonjon said:

Hard luck. It's hard to figure why ye fizzled out, as Frank said the fine margins went against ye a few times this season.

Better luck next season.

• Like 1