Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

i like watkins too. he held the ball up once or twice, showing a lot of strength for someone that looks quite slight. wesley and samatta have never done that for us

• Like 2

Just now, carewjust4u said:

Sarr is also inconsistent. (Source: WhoScored.com)

image.thumb.png.325c20fde672a936b9d9208c524b04f9.png

I suspected as much but haven't watched Watford at all apart from the 2 match against Villa. But I think his qualities are exactly what we need otherwise. Plus we don't know how much playing in a relegated team affected his performances.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i like watkins too. he held the ball up once or twice, showing a lot of strength for someone that looks quite slight. wesley and samatta have never done that for us

He can play wide too I believe. We're crying out for that kind of versatility.

He's pretty strong I'd say. I thought he looked the opposite of slight. 

1 minute ago, Philosopher said:

I suspected as much but haven't watched Watford at all apart from the 2 match against Villa. But I think his qualities are exactly what we need otherwise. Plus we don't know how much playing in a relegated team affected his performances.

It's a fair comment, but I wouldn't be spending 40million on anyone that has question marks over his consistency.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Yes they have, they just do not score goals.

Benrahama, Watkins & Henry would all be upgrades on what we have.

The key question will be price.

If there is little to no market there could be way more value on the continent than in England.

We're probably all Belgian'd out, but if Jonathan David can be purchased in the same price range as the like of Wakins then we need to think strongly about where we spent our budget.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

If i had a choice out of all brentford players rico henry is the one i want

I'd take Watkins. Terrific attitude and improves year on year. Henry is very small and light. I think he'd find it tough. Defensively he's pretty average.

Watkins would be great at £5m  .. not so great at £20m  , he isn't going to carry the line and score as 20 goals a season in the Prem  ... he might develop into that player , but that isn't where we need to be next season  .... He's the sort of player we should be developing through our academy going forward   , hopefully we will see this in a few years

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Villastine said:

Benrahama, Watkins & Henry would all be upgrades on what we have.

The key question will be price.

If there is little to no market there could be way more value on the continent than in England.

We're probably all Belgian'd out, but if Jonathan David can be purchased in the same price range as the like of Wakins then we need to think strongly about where we spent our budget.

I hear shopping in West London can be expensive. I’d be happy with one incoming player from Brentford, but not 3. I can see Benrahma happening but not the other 2. 

I've been very impressed with Watkins this season, but I doubt we'll be signing him, we'll spending big on a striker that's scored goals at an highter level than the championship, even if we sign a second striker,  which is doubtful unless Samatta or Wesley leave, I doubt we'd pay the £20m plus it would take to get Watkins as a back-up option.

Not sure why everyone is going nuts over Watkins.

Not saying he is or isn't what we need, but he has had one good season as a striker in the championship and we are fawning over him.

The last championship striker who had one good season didn't end up doing too well here...

As I say, not saying he is or isn't any good, but at the same time other than one good season scoring 20+ goals in the champ, what makes us think he's a 10/15/20 goal man in the prem???

• Like 1

I'm not convinced on Edouard. Not that I don't think he's a good player, but I find it strange that people say that we should stay away from leagues like Belgium, but at the same time want a player from a far inferior league. Playing at Celtic is not really difficult, since there is little to no opposition in that league. His stats are great, but does that make him good enough for the PL?

I'd rather spend on Belotti, who has performed in a very good league for a mid table team. Him coming to us is mostly about him playing in a better league and hopefully staying at a mid table team.

Admittedly, I have not seen much of these players, but then again, I do not think many of us here have. Most shouts are about stats and a youtube video 🙂

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, AXD said:

I'm not convinced on Edouard. Not that I don't think he's a good player, but I find it strange that people say that we should stay away from leagues like Belgium, but at the same time want a player from a far inferior league. Playing at Celtic is not really difficult, since there is little to no opposition in that league. His stats are great, but does that make him good enough for the PL?

I'd rather spend on Belotti, who has performed in a very good league for a mid table team. Him coming to us is mostly about him playing in a better league and hopefully staying at a mid table team.

Admittedly, I have not seen much of these players, but then again, I do not think many of us here have. Most shouts are about stats and a youtube video 🙂

I call it the Scott Sinclair test. 

He was a bad player, sitting on the bench in our worst team ever. Went to Celtic and looked a world beater for a couple of seasons. 

40 million for any player from the Scottish league is a huge huge huge risk. That said 25-30 million for a Watkins whose only played in the championship is as well! 

Edited by pas5898
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, AXD said:

I get the caution, but Edouard is the real deal in my opinion. He didn’t just perform well in the Scottish Premiership he tore them a new bagpipe hole.

40 goals in 48 starts I think it was. I saw him play in the Champions League last year, against an Eastern European team (can’t remember the name) but he was so good.

Don’t forget Van Dijk played for Celtic, as did a few others who have gone on to do well, and our very own John McGinn was a player that stood out in that league.

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Not sure why everyone is going nuts over Watkins.

Not saying he is or isn't what we need, but he has had one good season as a striker in the championship and we are fawning over him.

The last championship striker who had one good season didn't end up doing too well here...

As I say, not saying he is or isn't any good, but at the same time other than one good season scoring 20+ goals in the champ, what makes us think he's a 10/15/20 goal man in the prem???

i think he's had more than 1 good season though. think a lot of his time has spent out wide. think it's more about what we consider to be realistic targets and the brentford lot are obvious links.

apparently smith already has his top transfer target in mind anyway, and considering how the wesley transfer broke so close to completion i can see similar happening here

7 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

Birmingham mail reporting we are are in for Edouard from Celtic. 40 million. 

Birmingham Mail

As great as this would be the article is just quoting a link in The Sun, so in reality there's more likelihood of Maddie appearing alive and well

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, AXD said:

Thing is Belotti is most likely not a realistic target, we are not there yet.

Fwiw I have no issue with us looking at Belgium or leagues like that, we "just" have to poach the right players. I'd be chuffed if we managed to sign Jonathan David for example.

I don't watch Scottish football but there generally seem to be one or 2 players every season who are sold and manages to perform outside the league. Wouldn't spend anything near £40m for Edouard thou.

• Like 1