Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

Just now, Nigel said:

Nope, absolutely no point in it for me....unless of course we can but them after!

....but what if a loan player makes such an impact, that it keeps us in the league? We shouldn’t always turn our nose up at them but all about opinions I suppose. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

This transfer window is probably Celtics last opportunity for a good size fee for Edouard, as I think his contract is up in 2022. Other than that, I couldn’t give any sort of judgement on the player as I’ve not seen a single minute of him playing. His goals and assists are incredible up there, but we have to balance that against the fact that the SPL is the equivalent of the Championship, at best. Let’s hope Villa have done their homework and whoever we sign helps us compete higher up the Premier League table. UTV

The quality of the defending in that league is worse than the championship. He gets so much time on the ball,  I really don't see his skills transferring to the Premier league. Same example can be made of Scott Sinclair.

Edit for balance: he's obviously young and has more strength than Sinclair ever had, but a lot of his on the ball skills are done with defenders standing off him. I don't think he's a £40m gamble we should take. Too many other clubs seem interested for the value to be as low as £20m-£30m. We need a more proven striker for that money for my liking. 

Edited by MrBlack

2 minutes ago, Farlz said:

It all sounds fantastic until you see [Sun]

Tbf the journalist, Graeme Bryce seems to have an in with Villa. Only other journalist who gets Vila stuff right apart from Percy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, rubberman said:

Sorry TRO - I don't understand this.  They were objectively terrible for the league they were in.  They came bottom and were relegated weeks before anyone else.  Not much point being designed for any other league than the one you are trying to compete in!

My point is Buendia shone in the PL this season, against the very best defenders, not in the championship.  He had stats up there with Jack and was playing in an even worse team. I'm not particularly advocating him for us BTW, though he would definitely improve us, but you can't write him off as not being able to do it in the PL, when he has just proven that he can.

Norwich were designed for the Championship and played an open game of attacking football, but never invested in players to help keep them in the Prem.....that was my point.....No defensive qualities to nullify the opposition, that is my idea of not being designed for the top league.

Did he, never studied him, buts stats are only part of it.....Did you see Benrama tonight?,similar player... very disappointing imo.

9 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

The quality of the defending in that league is worse than the championship. He gets so much time on the ball,  I really don't see his skills transferring to the Premier league. Same example can be made of Scott Sinclair

You think he won't translate because he get's too much time or is it other things as well?

10 hours ago, Dave-R said:

As much as I like this I just dont think we can if there is all but 100 mill to spend, we would still have to deal with a subs bench with no way to affect games as weve seen all this season.

Then what happens if any of those four signings get injured, the troubles start dont they because we have no one who can simply jump into there place and be effective enough. I just dont think four players is enough, I wished it were. If we had of had many more of last seasons signings be more better on field agree with this i would. Even after restart there were only a few that looked much better than before lockdown like Luiz, Mings, Trez. Ghazi, Nakamaba, Lansbury, Jota, Samatta, for one reason or another were a let down most of the season before and after lockdown Thats five right there alone that we should look to make signings to replace on subs bench just so we have players who are capable coming on field. Then there'd be your four players also above, that's nine signings right there alone wed be making, realistically I think we will be trying to make more signings than less.

I agree, those individuals were better after lockdown and the bench will need to be filled with the players that were starting and not performed and replaced by better footballers( Remember we pretty much have a championship team, we were just very lucky). My £100 million would be spent like this ideally. 105 million give or take

Tammy Abraham - £35M

OR 

Odsonne Edouard (Celtic) - £35M

Oleksandar Zinchenko - £20M

Milot Rashica (Werder Bremen - £30M

OR

Everton Soares (Gremio) - £25M 

Baptiste Santamaria - £20M

Jan Vertonghen - Free Transfer 

Edited by RicRic
Change of transfer
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Tbf the journalist, Graeme Bryce seems to have an in with Villa. Only other journalist who gets Vila stuff right apart from Percy.

I did recognise his name while reading the article to be fair and just having a very quick look he did get the Trezeguet deal last season as well. Hopefully there might be something in it then. 

I'd sign Benrahma (for a reasonable fee - circa 20m) and a faster more direct winger for the other flank. Grealish would play behind the front 3. Whoever the striker is will get shitloads of chances.

According to whoscored, Benrahma was the best player in the championship last season ahead of Pereira and Eze. 

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/7/Seasons/7840/Stages/18673/PlayerStatistics/England-Championship-2019-2020

He's a really good player but he essentially plays in the same position as Grealish so unless were going to change formation, not sure how you fit them both in?

Buendia plays more on the right side and is defensively stronger so he might be a better fit for us although he doesn't have the pace we need and has never scored a lot of goals either

Edited by Biskitt
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

You think he won't translate because he get's too much time or is it other things as well?

Have seen him a fair bit this season, and expanded my original post to try and clarify.  Defenders don't close him down, so it's really hard to judge how he'd fare being given no time on the ball.  

He's got good movement in the box,  and he's quick and strong, so he should still get 10+ goals,  I just don't think he's worth us blowing our load on. If we could get him for under £30m then he'd probably fare better than Wesley did,  but not the answer for me and I think too much interest in him for go for that little.  If he joins... if be very happy to be proved wrong

8 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

We absolutely shouldn't be signing squad players this window.

We need to sign players better than what we have and current first choice players become squad players in place of current squad players, that is how we need to improve.

Spot on.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Biskitt said:

According to whoscored, Benrahma was the best player in the championship last season ahead of Pereira and Eze. 

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/7/Seasons/7840/Stages/18673/PlayerStatistics/England-Championship-2019-2020

He's a really good player but he essentially plays in the same position as Grealish so unless were going to change formation, not sure how you fit them both in?

Buendia plays more on the right side and is defensively stronger he might be a better fit for us although he doesn't have the pace we need either and has never scored a lot of goals either

I would be reluctant to sign any championship players, better looking at players on the fringes of the top teams in the Prem.

We have to improve.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Biskitt said:

Buendia plays more on the right side and is defensively stronger he might be a better fit for us although he doesn't have the pace we need either

Benrahma on the left,  Grealish in the middle.  Or have them interchange.  I think they'd be the perfect foil for each other, creating space for the other and both comfortable on the wing or cutting inside.  He's been exceptional all season, and very good the season before.  Takes players on,  has a lethal delivery and an eye for goal. 

A similar player on the right,  and that front three, behind a quality striker is going to rip teams to shreds

Edit: Bunedia being better defensively as you say, or someone similar, could be ideal as when we lose the ball we need someone to drop back and give us more shape defensively. 

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

Benrahma is a no brainer for me. Cannot judge him on tonight. One game doesn’t define a player. His connection with Smith and the fact he is used to life in the country is vital. 

• Like 1