Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

On top of concerns of FFP, I cannot help but think that typically, when clubs have signed lots of players the team struggles to take some time to adapt. It's a huge change in terms of club culture, personality  understanding and tactical awareness. I think the approach of a handful of players each year, whilst leaving some initial injury gaps, is the best approach.

2 hours ago, Villarocker said:

If the links to Wylan Ciprien are true it certainly suggests the Rashica chase is well and truly over. However, Ciprien looks like he can do a bit of everything in midfield so looks like he'd a big help to Dougie and McGinn in there. 

Dare I say it that he looks like he could play the McGinn role if we had a more attacking central midfielder? 

They’re not apparently.

6 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Mate, everyone outside of the “big 6” have weak squads and are in a similar predicament than us, in terms of key injuries. 

So far our squad is a lot stronger than it was last season. And tactically the squad is a lot more comfortable with what’s asked of them, thanks to the lockdown changes.

without spending another £100m to “improve the squad” we are fine and we will survive with more comfort and 1 or 2 more signings will aid that 

So true. The Football Manager on the PC/Games console "sign everyone, release squad players" mentality posts are very tedious

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

So true. The Football Manager on the PC/Games console "sign everyone, release squad players" mentality posts are very tedious

It's not that really. I just think we need one backup experienced centre back because Engels obviously isn't going to play again so that leaves us with 3 first team centre backs. It makes me feel a bit uneasy.

12 hours ago, QldVilla said:

He’s a very good player, but he doesn’t necessarily stand out, but makes the team tick, he’s a conductor, something we’ve been lacking for a long time.

That's what Jack does when played in the middle. Dictates the play.

1 minute ago, Okonokos said:

It's not that really. I just think we need one backup experienced centre back because Engels obviously isn't going to play again so that leaves us with 3 first team centre backs. It makes me feel a bit uneasy.

That's not what I'm talking about though. It's the we need to sign 3-5 more first team players posts. How do you attract "back up" CBs? Maybe likes of Mepham? I found myself arguing on rational Villa FB group today with someone who called McGinn "utter shit"

13 hours ago, rayk said:

I agree with a lot of what you say but Benrahma and Beundia are very similar players imo.

I know what you’re saying about Jack and Benrahma occupying the same spaces.....which is why I’m more keen on Sarr or Brewster....but if Jack got injured Benrahma is the only player I can think of who could fill his boots.

I agree on Sarr. Not really Brewster as he's an out and out striker. Benrahma can replace Jack if Jack is being used as a left winger, but he doesn't have the same level of class. Not seen Benrahma in the middle so can't compare.

Buendia is proven in the Premier league, and plays on the right so rather than get in Jack's way he would compliment Jack and make his task easier as he won't have to worry about getting across the pitch, and can stay in the centre left position drifting out to the left. Then Buendia can drift inside to the centre when Jack drifts to the left. This then create space for cash to overlap. You lots of movement and changing of positions too as Watkins can drift right and open up space for Sarr or Rashica to move forward into the left centre striker position when Jack drifts left.

Buendia can also play in the middle. So you get an extra playmaker in the team which takes some of the heat off Jack but in a way that doesn't negatively impact Jack's effectiveness, and you get a replacement if he is injured or rested. Plus you get a player that created more chances in the Premier league than everyone bar Jack and De Bruyne. Add the fact that we have a distinct lack of invention on the right he would really be the ideal signing in my eyes.

Nearly forgot. The other thing you get with a cultured right footer on the right and a right footed inside forward is that final third cross field ball from the right winger playmaker in that inside right position from the edge of the final third across to the left inside forward around the corner of the 18 yard box which what Man City utilise so effectively with De Bruyne to Sterling.

Edited by Philosopher
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

People realise the project and style of play though right? Traore can absolutely slot in at CF. Check his record. We're not signing a marquee CF and playing 2 up front and we're not signing marquee back up to sit on bench in case of injury

Moving Traore, who hasn't played CF for a few years, then weakens us at CF and RW. I'm not sure that's the ideal plan. 

I'm not expecting a marquee signing as back up, but I feel we need someone else coming in to add to the depth.

17 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

That's not what I'm talking about though. It's the we need to sign 3-5 more first team players posts. How do you attract "back up" CBs? Maybe likes of Mepham? I found myself arguing on rational Villa FB group today with someone who called McGinn "utter shit"

That's just ridiculous that anyone could say that. It's why I only come on here to discuss Villa because believe it or not its the least taxing on your mental health.

We don't need 3-5 fist team players though, I agree. We definitely need 1 wide attacking first team player and a midfielder who can provide competition. I just won't rest easy unless we get centre back cover too. If Mings and Konsa can stay fit all season, then great but that is a big IF, especially with Mings. I think Mepham would be a good shout, he'd come here to work under Smith. Either that or an experienced centre half. Maybe someone like Domagoj Vida. We were linked with him last year for a while and I've seen links more recently too so that suggests we probably have some interest in him (smoke/fire). Would be available for less than £5m and is very experienced at 31 years of age. I'd just rest a lot more easily then knowing we'd have someone of his calibre to step in.

Edited by Okonokos
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I agree on Sarr. Not really Brewster as he's an out and out striker. Benrahma can replace Jack if Jack is being used as a left winger, but he doesn't have the same level of class. Not seen Benrahma in the middle so can't compare.

Buendia is proven in the Premier league, and plays on the right so rather than get in Jack's way he would compliment Jack and make his task easier as he won't have to worry about getting across the pitch, and can stay in the centre left position drifting out to the left. Then Buendia can drift inside to the centre when Jack drifts to the left. This then create space for cash to overlap. You lots of movement and changing of positions too as Watkins can drift right and open up space for Sarr or Rashica to move forward into the left centre striker position when Jack drifts left.

Buendia can also play in the middle. So you get an extra playmaker in the team which takes some of the heat off Jack but in a way that doesn't negatively impact Jack's effectiveness, and you get a replacement if he is injured or rested. Plus you get a player that created more chances in the Premier league than everyone bar Jack and De Bruyne. Add the fact that we have a distinct lack of invention on the right he would really be the ideal signing in my eyes.

Nearly forgot. The other thing you get with a cultured right footer on the right and a right footed inside forward is that final third cross field ball from the right winger playmaker in that inside right position from the edge of the final third across to the left inside forward around the corner of the 18 yard box which what Man City utilise so effectively with De Bruyne to Sterling.

The Buendia boat has sailed now sadly, now that we’ve brought in Traore for RW and our spending appears limited to 1-2 players in more pressing positions.

• Like 1