Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

2 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

That's just ridiculous that anyone could say that. It's why I only come on here to discuss Villa because believe it or not its the least taxing on your mental health.

We don't need 3-5 fist team players though, I agree. We definitely need 1 wide attacking first team player and a midfielder who can provide competition. I just won't rest easy unless we get centre back cover too. If Mings and Konsa can stay fit all season, then great but that is a big IF, especially with Mings. I think Mepham would be a good shout, he'd come here to work under Smith. Either that or an experienced centre half. Maybe someone like Domagoj Vida. We were linked with him last year for a while and I've seen links more recently too so that suggests we probably have some interest in him (smoke/fire). Would be available for less than £5m and is very experienced at 31 years of age. I'd just rest a lot more easily then knowing we'd have someone of his calibre to step in.

I agree only I'd add genuine competition for Targett to that. For what we NEED. My icing on the cake signing to add to that would be Buendia. In fact if we just got Sarr / Rashica and Buendia I'd be in dreamland.

12 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I agree on Sarr. Not really Brewster as he's an out and out striker. Benrahma can replace Jack if Jack is being used as a left winger, but he doesn't have the same level of class. Not seen Benrahma in the middle so can't compare.

Buendia is proven in the Premier league, and plays on the right so rather than get in Jack's way he would compliment Jack and make his task easier as he won't have to worry about getting across the pitch, and can stay in the centre left position drifting out to the left. Then Buendia can drift inside to the centre when Jack drifts to the left. This then create space for cash to overlap. You lots of movement and changing of positions too as Watkins can drift right and open up space for Sarr or Rashica to move forward into the left centre striker position when Jack drifts left.

Buendia can also play in the middle. So you get an extra playmaker in the team which takes some of the heat off Jack but in a way that doesn't negatively impact Jack's effectiveness, and you get a replacement if he is injured or rested. Plus you get a player that created more chances in the Premier league than everyone bar Jack and De Bruyne. Add the fact that we have a distinct lack of invention on the right he would really be the ideal signing in my eyes.

Nearly forgot. The other thing you get with a cultured right footer on the right and a right footed inside forward is that final third cross field ball from the right winger playmaker in that inside right position from the edge of the final third across to the left inside forward around the corner of the 18 yard box which what Man City utilise so effectively with De Bruyne to Sterling.

Did you miss the Traore signing? 

• Like 1

hmmm.
Before this window started I thought we needed a striker, a LW and a RW and that's without anyone leaving. We have a striker and RW yet have let a player go. I feel like we're an injury or two away from really struggling again if we only bring in 1 more player. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, AV82 said:

Really makes you wonder what was promised to Grealish.

Been thinking the same... a statement signing? Guarantee of further spending & improvement in coming years but, as Jack stated in a recent interview, we are aiming for 12th or higher this season so need a certain calibre of player... there will be little to no tolerance for another relegation scrap this season.

8 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

hmmm.
Before this window started I thought we needed a striker, a LW and a RW and that's without anyone leaving. We have a striker and RW yet have let a player go. I feel like we're an injury or two away from really struggling again if we only bring in 1 more player. 

Striker - Watkins

RW - Traore

I’m sure we’re working on bringing in a LW (Rashica/Sarr, maybe settle for Benrahma if unsuccessful with those two) and a CM (Barkley/RLC). 

Once that’s sorted, defence is the next area of concern (think the wingers will fill in at CF if/when Watkins is unavailable).

We’ll likely wait til Jan to sort that though, flipping FFP.

An injury to Mings, Konsa or both is a real concern and Targett needs genuine competition.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, AV82 said:

Really makes you wonder what was promised to Grealish.

The promise to him was definitely about investment over the length of his deal and not just this specific window. 

• Like 1

A good CM in and we've had a great window considering we'd now be in a situation where we have a starting XI where every player is (or at least seems very likely to be) comfortably good enough at this level. That's a lot more than we could say last season.

A winger on top of that and there's even less to complain about. I'm sure we all want more competitive options at both centre back and left back too but there's only so much of an overhaul you can have in a single window and we had to prioritise. It's not like it can't be addressed in January anyway if it comes up as an urgent issue.

Such a bad offseason for most clubs with COVID concerns. I think we’ve done enough to push several clubs below us in the table. West Brom and Fulham look nailed on to go down to me. West Ham are imploding. Burnley have added one player, and may yet lose their star defender. Southampton have net spent 10. Sheff Utd don’t seem the same since the lockdown - albeit that they’ve moved a few bodies in. I think Leeds will be top 10 by Christmas and fade below us.

Anything else in the door from here is a bonus. I think one more, and keep some powder on the table for January depending on the evolving shape of the squad and what’s working out.

I think we’ve done enough to 14th or better this season. Max upside of 10th.

1 hour ago, Philosopher said:

That's what Jack does when played in the middle. Dictates the play.

He’s a different type of player to Grealish.

Doesn’t matter anyway as Smith has said there’s no truth to the rumour.

1 hour ago, Okonokos said:

That's just ridiculous that anyone could say that. It's why I only come on here to discuss Villa because believe it or not its the least taxing on your mental health.

We don't need 3-5 fist team players though, I agree. We definitely need 1 wide attacking first team player and a midfielder who can provide competition. I just won't rest easy unless we get centre back cover too. If Mings and Konsa can stay fit all season, then great but that is a big IF, especially with Mings. I think Mepham would be a good shout, he'd come here to work under Smith. Either that or an experienced centre half. Maybe someone like Domagoj Vida. We were linked with him last year for a while and I've seen links more recently too so that suggests we probably have some interest in him (smoke/fire). Would be available for less than £5m and is very experienced at 31 years of age. I'd just rest a lot more easily then knowing we'd have someone of his calibre to step in.

tumblr_ncjjsnUvOr1qf9csoo1_400.gif

• Haha 4