Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

33 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

So maybe Rashica/Sarr and Barkley/RLC for now & then review the squad in Jan and go for a CB and possibly a LB, we still have players to offload too.

We need to get Engels fit & involved as an injury/suspension  to Konsa or Mings will really damage us. Hause always concerns me and we need another CB to cover.

I don’t think it’s a viable option but how did Elmo do at CB? I guess he wasn’t that tested but he is decent in the air, can he fill in adequately?

I don't get this hause hate what do we expect from a back up player

He is the back up for reason I can't expect konsa or mings would be happy as back up or if we do get another he might not be good enough if he happy playing 2nd fiddle

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, picicata said:

In what way? We have improved the starting eleven and we have cover in all positions. Yes, we could be stronger depth wise but we can't do everything in one window with FFP and budget limits. 

We are stronger as a team than we were this time last year. 

We are stronger. But last year, we put all our eggs in the Wesley basket, we seem to be doing the same with Watkins. 

Davis has many qualities but we know that if we have to play long periods of games with him, we are going to struggle. 

1 minute ago, gaffer85 said:

He is the back up for reason I can't expect konsa or mings would be happy as back up or if we do get another he might not be good enough if he happy playing 2nd fiddle

Another common sense post. 

• Like 1

Just now, gaffer85 said:

He is poor on the ball and error prone, useful in the air though. 

My point was that Hause can’t be the only backup CB, we need another and ideally someone better than him as if we lose either or even both Konsa & Mings then we are in deep trouble. If we can reintegrate Engels then that will help but a Hause & Engels partnership is a worry too.

• Like 1

Just now, DCJonah said:

We are stronger. But last year, we put all our eggs in the Wesley basket, we seem to be doing the same with Watkins. 

Davis has many qualities but we know that if we have to play long periods of games with him, we are going to struggle. 

People realise the project and style of play though right? Traore can absolutely slot in at CF. Check his record. We're not signing a marquee CF and playing 2 up front and we're not signing marquee back up to sit on bench in case of injury

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

My point was that Hause can’t be the only backup CB, we need another and ideally someone better than him as if we lose either or even both Konsa & Mings then we are in deep trouble. If we can reintegrate Engels then that will help but a Hause & Engels partnership is a worry too.

There's no doubt we need another backup centre back. Maybe we could get an experienced one on loan or something like that. We are two injuries away from Elmohamady or Guilbert filling in at centre back because I don't see Engels playing again or even staying here.

• Like 1

Smith on recruitment: “We are always looking; we are probably one short in the squad at the moment. With Ally going, we are looking at the forward line, but also midfield.”

The most interesting part of that quote was the one not included,which was that we are looking for one player who can cover both positions. So, based on that, I don't think the RLC or Barkley are likely to be high up on our list, but Rashica would be. 

• Like 1

We still have a weak squad and if we’re only signing another 1 or 2 players (midfielder and forward) then that’s still the case... an injury to a key player will rock us and we may well struggle again.

A lot will depend on form & luck, we should and hopefully will do a lot better but maybe we will also have to lower expectations a tad.

Waiting til the close of the window anyway, we could be pleasantly surprised. Our first XI will be stronger in any case.

3 minutes ago, TheMightyVillans said:

Looks like Elmo at CB might happen more this season then.

Is he a realistic and capable option? How did he look against Bristol?

If he can excel there then it’s a good strategy to convert him to a reserve CB as he is getting on now and will be slowing down. He’s always been decent in the air too.

18 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

true we shouldn’t finish 17th but we aren’t going to be causing Burnley any sleepless nights in pipping them to 10th this season either  .. resigned to watching Hourihane, Trez and El Ghazi in our starting 11 at numerous points this season , when I had dreams of them being given the odd 10 mins here and there .

Disappointed all in all if it proves to be the case 

I'm curious as to what you expected from our business this window. We're not yet a properly establish PL team so we're bound to be lacking in true squad depth. We're still building a squad, and it will take at least another 2 or 3 windows before we're done with that.

Our business so far has been solid. Last season we were getting whatever we could to fill the gaping hole all the outgoing players left, this season we're improving on what we already have. Can't really argue with it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I don't know about that. Traore is arguably better as a CF than a winger. I'm also still holding out hope that Davis can become the complete CF we all know he's capable of being.

5 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I know what your saying but the way I see the first team has to be sorted before the squad 

I sure every team is in the the same position with the back up options 

Sure city even crumbled when they lost laporte last year

Just now, gaffer85 said:

I know what your saying but the way I see the first team has to be sorted before the squad 

I sure every team is in the the same position with the back up options 

Sure city even crumbled when they lost laporte last year

Agreed, the first XI is the priority. The best strategy is to sign superior quality so some of our first teamers are relegated to the bench, but we are limited (mainly by FFP).

I just can’t forget the fact that we barely survived last season (so we cannot compare ourselves to top half teams) and the squad was shown up to be crap basically. 

If not for Jack we would have gone down, and I dread to think where we would end up without him should he sustain a prolonged injury.

I remain positive & optimistic though and the quality of signings should ensure we can be competitive and have more of an attacking threat, have to score more goals and rely less on Jack to create & score.

Hopefully we have solidified and sorted the defence out for the long term, I like the Mings & Konsa partnership and it should continue to develop & improve.

14 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

There's no doubt we need another backup centre back. Maybe we could get an experienced one on loan or something like that. We are two injuries away from Elmohamady or Guilbert filling in at centre back because I don't see Engels playing again or even staying here.

Yeah I think we would be wise to continue to utilise loans & bring in 1 or 2, we have such a weak squad. Offloading players frees up wages so we should be able to do it, I really don’t want us to be in a situation where we lose a key player for an extended time and don’t have a decent replacement so struggle badly again.

Edited by Jas10