Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He got an assist and put at least another 2 on a plate for Watkins. That we didn't have even more goals to our name is definitely not down to Trezeguet. 

Just goes to show how once an idea takes hold, in this case that Trez isn't quite up to it, it's pretty hard to shake. 

Whilst this is true in the case of many players I think with Trez he just didn’t look on the same level as the rest of our attacking players because of how high we’ve raised the bar.  McGinn, Luiz, Barkley, Grealish and Watkins are top players.  

Trez is doing superb and did an excellent job.  Deserves to stay in the team.  Saying he isn’t on the level of the players mentioned isn’t a criticism. It’s a testament to how far the club has come. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, sne said:

Current transfer window system was introduced in 2002/2003

Fair point, but can we agree if we are going to limit the reference time period, then the use of the word ‘ever’ is probably a little misplaced ?

A bit like the phrase ‘best ever in the premier league’.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Villaphil said:

Fair point, but can we agree if we are going to limit the reference time period, then the use of the word ‘ever’ is probably a little misplaced ?

A bit like the phrase ‘best ever in the premier league’.

Sure.

But as others have said it's way too early to judge this window, it's not even closed yet :D  Let's see what we think at the end of the year. But looks really good so far.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He got an assist and put at least another 2 on a plate for Watkins. That we didn't have even more goals to our name is definitely not down to Trezeguet. 

Just goes to show how once an idea takes hold, in this case that Trez isn't quite up to it, it's pretty hard to shake. 

Perhaps, but please don't take it as me being negative about him, as I've stated many times I'm very happy with and proud of him.

I think maybe we were so good as a collective that every minor mistake was noticed.

I's still rather have him in the team over the others currently.

Not many, if any negatives I could take from the game, that was just me nit picking.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Whilst this is true in the case of many players I think with Trez he just didn’t look on the same level as the rest of our attacking players because of how high we’ve raised the bar.  McGinn, Luiz, Barkley, Grealish and Watkins are top players.  

Trez is doing superb and did an excellent job.  Deserves to stay in the team.  Saying he isn’t on the level of the players mentioned isn’t a criticism. It’s a testament to how far the club has come. 

Trezeguet is playing a pivotal role in this team and it’s becoming more evident with every passing game.

Consider his role in the team, most of what we do goes through Grealish and down the opposite flank, so Trez knows his opportunities will likely be somewhat limited, in some respects he’s playing a selfless role in the team.

His fitness levels are evident both in terms of his physical condition and his match duration, I think his improvement has been significant since this time last year.

As I’ve said before, I’ll not knock the guy again after his goals against Palace and Arsenal last season but beyond that I really think he’s becoming an important part of what we do as a team, and I’m not sure Traore is of the same mindset to carry out that role.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Man Utd are in massive debt.

It’s like 400m.... I wouldn’t call that massive with their revenue and it’s all from the purchase of the club by those vampires.

can you imagine how much they would spend with a normal PL owner, it would be shocking

2009 was arguably our best one in recent times. Dunne, Collins, Warnock all massively improved our backline although we didn't get much longevity out of any of them. Downing also came in but was better the following season when he was 100% fit.

January 2007 was brilliant aswell. Carew and Young signing on same day, proper meltdown day (we knew Young was coming but Carew deal happened pretty quickly).

January 2011 a big what if. Bent came in and did the job required short term but would've been so much better playing for longer with Young and Downing. Michael Bradley signed but hardly played, proved to be a good box to box player in Serie A for next 5 years. Makoun good player in France but never happened here, nice jumper though. And Kyle Walker on loan.

And of course August 2015. Veretout, Gana, Amavi, Ayew, Adama. All look pretty good nowadays. Shame we signed them to replace Vlaar, Benteke and Delph and surrounded them with so much s***.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

2009 was arguably our best one in recent times. Dunne, Collins, Warnock all massively improved our backline although we didn't get much longevity out of any of them. 

This is one of the main reasons why I’m not as keen on signing older players. They do a job for now, and it all looks good, but after a season or two, you’ll be getting diminishing returns. Just like the names above. 

the trick is getting players on the up, so we get more out of them, and for whatever reason we have to sell them, we can get some profit out of it too.

like the Watkins vs Wilson debate. In terms to investment to the club and squad we are more likely getting a better return from ollie, he has better chances to be in the team longer and improving each season with us, which makes the club better and if the club chooses/needs to sell him, it will get a nicer return from him. However, Wilson is at his peak, and each season he is closer to regressing due to his age. So if that does happen, it only brings down his value, to his potential sell on fee and to the squad. 

how I would of seen each signing is in the terms of short term and long term.

callum fixes the problems of now, such as ensuring safety  

ollie fixes the problem of building a challenging squad for the future. also, so far he looks like he’s fixing the problem of now too.. nice business villa 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

2009 was arguably our best one in recent times. Dunne, Collins, Warnock all massively improved our backline although we didn't get much longevity out of any of them. Downing also came in but was better the following season when he was 100% fit.

January 2007 was brilliant aswell. Carew and Young signing on same day, proper meltdown day (we knew Young was coming but Carew deal happened pretty quickly).

January 2011 a big what if. Bent came in and did the job required short term but would've been so much better playing for longer with Young and Downing. Michael Bradley signed but hardly played, proved to be a good box to box player in Serie A for next 5 years. Makoun good player in France but never happened here, nice jumper though. And Kyle Walker on loan.

And of course August 2015. Veretout, Gana, Amavi, Ayew, Adama. All look pretty good nowadays. Shame we signed them to replace Vlaar, Benteke and Delph and surrounded them with so much s***.

And Cleverley!   

Great window so far. I didnt want mass overhaul, as despite performances last year, squad morale was clearly very good. Major changes were just as likely to upset the balance on morale, as they were to improve us.

The improvement we've got from the relatively low turnover is, on evidence so far, immense.

Happy if we get one more in,  happy if we don't.  

• Like 1

As we kept saying, Championship top players could usually be helpful in terms of building teams. Cash and Watkins shown already their quality. McGinn, Mings and Konsa all considered as Championship players. Possibly even Grealish who’s been down there for too long. It’s hard to get quality from the PL, so it’s either to scout well abroad or get the talents from the Championship. So far we could keep improving by signing top players from the Championship. Henry and Benrahma for example will improve our team for sure. I don’t want to mention Brooks or Sarr...etc as they’ve been playing in the PL. 

1 hour ago, CarryOnVilla said:

This is one of the main reasons why I’m not as keen on signing older players. They do a job for now, and it all looks good, but after a season or two, you’ll be getting diminishing returns. Just like the names above. 

the trick is getting players on the up, so we get more out of them, and for whatever reason we have to sell them, we can get some profit out of it too.

like the Watkins vs Wilson debate. In terms to investment to the club and squad we are more likely getting a better return from ollie, he has better chances to be in the team longer and improving each season with us, which makes the club better and if the club chooses/needs to sell him, it will get a nicer return from him. However, Wilson is at his peak, and each season he is closer to regressing due to his age. So if that does happen, it only brings down his value, to his potential sell on fee and to the squad. 

how I would of seen each signing is in the terms of short term and long term.

callum fixes the problems of now, such as ensuring safety  

ollie fixes the problem of building a challenging squad for the future. also, so far he looks like he’s fixing the problem of now too.. nice business villa 

Well yeah, but younger players are, are all things remaining equal, more expensive than older alternatives. Of course if possible we all would like to get young up and coming players, but we don't have infinite money. 

And to a certain extent, the higher return you can get from selling improved players in the future is also balanced by said higher fee you have to pay for them. Which ideally shouldn't be too much of a problem, but the thing with buying young players is not all of them actually improve with you. So you might just as well make a loss on them.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

5 minutes ago, Danishlad said:

Wasn’t Halilovic supposed to be an amazing talent. Anyone know what happened to him, over the years?

From what I've read he didn't have the right people around him with his father calling the shots making some less than successful moves. That and the Freddy Adu factor of being hyped up too much at too young an age.

2 hours ago, DevonVillan said:

Every week we follow,

The boys in claret and blue,

We even beat the Champions 7 F**king 2, 

The Villa boys from Aston,

We're never gunna stop,

Smashed the f**king Scoucers,

In front of Jurgen Klopp,

Allez Allez Allez Allez Allez Allez

Back on topic..... no links yet?

Well Birmingham Live have put up a new story today, about our  "Hopes" of signing Rashica being boosted, if that makes you feel any better.

👀

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

As we kept saying, Championship top players could usually be helpful in terms of building teams. Cash and Watkins shown already their quality. McGinn, Mings and Konsa all considered as Championship players. Possibly even Grealish who’s been down there for too long. It’s hard to get quality from the PL, so it’s either to scout well abroad or get the talents from the Championship. So far we could keep improving by signing top players from the Championship. Henry and Benrahma for example will improve our team for sure. I don’t want to mention Brooks or Sarr...etc as they’ve been playing in the PL. 

I'd argue, just as in a video I saw of Simon Jordan today, that Watkins can go to the VERY top, along with us.

As a matter of fact all the ones you have named.