Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

19 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He’s only 32. Was a decent player. 

Would've been a good addition at the time he was first linked, when he was at Liege. He's had constant injury problems over the last several years, though, which is probably why he's a free agent.

Götze's only 28, but has turned into a human balloon.

10 hours ago, Philosopher said:

For an attacker like Welbeck who relies on his athleticism 30 is the start of one's decline. For an injury prone attacker that's more like 27. 29 is too old unless we need a cheap short term fix.

Gabby is the prime example was was in decline at 26 / 27 finished at 29.

He looked o.k at Watford in the run in, scored a couple. It's an understatement to say his finishing isn't great but I actually think with his energy he'd fit into our squad quite well and he can play wide in the front 3 which is probably what we're still lacking from a forward option given Watkins and Davis would both play centrally if starting.

The problem of course is his awful injury record in last 5 years. Loads at Arsenal and missed most of last season for Watford. As a back up I'd be o.k with a 1 year deal.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

That would be making the same old mistake again, would it not?

He would not be playing for free, hence a salary, hence a contract. Getting rid of these types of signings is a problem that has dogged us for years.

Just offer him a 1 year deal (in reality 8 months). If he thinks he's too good for that off he trots to another relegation team like Fulham.

Not many in favour of signing him but for those who are don't think anyone is saying he should get a 3/4 year deal like McCormack and Lansbury, we're obviously learnt that lesson.

We signed Borja Baston 6 months ago so even a declining Welbeck is still comfortably better as an option off the bench.

6 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Gotze's going to PSV. Kwadwo Asamoah would be by far our best left back, but is often injured. Wouldn't say no to Garay/Mandzukic/Clichy if we could get one on a short-term contract

Apparently in talks with Reading. What happened to him?

4 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Hopefully all is OK.

On a serious note yeah, hope he hasn't taken it too hard.

He was apprehensive to share in the first place for fear of abuse.

Surely he knows he's due the friendly banter though? lol

EDIT: And obviously we hope nothing else has happened, not normal of him to be away so long.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

That's why I said a short-term contract. He played for a title-winning side last season and would clearly be better than Taylor, and probably Targett too

Another dig at Targett who was excellent the other day. If you said that to Dean Smith I reckon he'd laugh in your face

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Another dig at Targett who was excellent the other day. If you said that to Dean Smith I reckon he'd laugh in your face

Sorry for wanting to improve our squad. Not sure he was excellent. Salah scored twice from his area of the pitch, with Targett poorly positioned for the second at least. Either way, not having a dig at him, merely commenting on a listed of free agents quoted by another poster

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Apparently in talks with Reading. What happened to him?

Asamoah is 32 soon and Inter had the perfect system for him yet he was 3rd choice come the end of the season. Conte didnt seem to think he was up to it and either have the rest of Europe if he is going to Reading

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Asamoah is 32 soon and Inter had the perfect system for him yet he was 3rd choice come the end of the season. Conte didnt seem to think he was up to it and either have the rest of Europe if he is going to Reading

Conte is bizarrely obsessed with full-backs. He literally signs 5 or 6 every window! He loaned out Perisic last season, as he deemed him unable to play as a wing-back, only to now call him back and start him ahead of the multitude of wing-backs he's spend fortunes on! He's also tried to force out Icardi, Nainggolan, Godin, Skriniar, etc, etc, so players he doesn't want aren't always bad.

Back OT, I can't even think of who the last free agent we signed was, and I can't see us bucking that trend now. Hopefully one more in from the Championship, and that'll be it at most

6 minutes ago, Mat Kendrick's Dentist said:

Sorry for wanting to improve our squad. Not sure he was excellent. Salah scored twice from his area of the pitch, with Targett poorly positioned for the second at least. Either way, not having a dig at him, merely commenting on a listed of free agents quoted by another poster

Both goals were more Mings fault than Targett but obviously you've picked your scapegoat

• Confused 1