Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

4 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Yeah, McKennie would be an absolute game changer of a signing for us. The type of player who'd come here and probably win player of the year in his first season. I really, really hope we're in for him.

He looks quality but not sure we’ll spend the rumoured £25m. And he’d have to take SJM’s slot unless Jack stayed wide.

13 minutes ago, rayk said:

He looks quality but not sure we’ll spend the rumoured £25m. And he’d have to take SJM’s slot unless Jack stayed wide.

We need options. 

McGinn got injured last year and the best player we could replace him with in Jan was Danny’s Wadinginwater.

A quality addition in the middle of the park is almost as critical as wingers and a striker for me. 

Never seen this Weston McKennie but he looks great on YT. Yes that’s dangerous but looks really dynamic and carries and aerial threat too which is something we really lack. 

23 minutes ago, rayk said:

Yeah, exactly what the two above said. More options = better squad. I'm a firm believer that you need at least two players for every position on the pitch. McKennie would be a fantastic option. Also, more competition for places produces better quality performances. He's well worth the £25m. Absolutely no doubt. Also, he can fill in in numerous positions (RB, wide midfielder).

Edited by Okonokos

10 minutes ago, VillaHatesMe said:

I'm an American who didn't start paying attention to this sport until his early 20s, and the idea of the lower leagues of English football being used by B-teams seems like sacrilege to me. The lower leagues are a huge part of what makes English football great. To get rid of teams and further "corporatize" things so that it's roughly 20 clubs owning the entire country would destroy the very fabric of the game.

Spot on.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, villaglint said:

We need options. 

McGinn got injured last year and the best player we could replace him with in Jan was Danny’s Wadinginwater.

A quality addition in the middle of the park is almost as critical as wingers and a striker for me. 

Never seen this Weston McKennie but he looks great on YT. Yes that’s dangerous but looks really dynamic and carries and aerial threat too which is something we really lack. 

Star Trek Applause GIF

9 hours ago, rayk said:

There’s Celtic, Rangers in the past, one or two others and then there is the rest of the SPL.

Celtic would be good enough for the Prem over the years.....certainly as good as many Championship clubs that get promoted.

So, yes.

You're talking about a league where we sold Scott Sinclair to Celtic and he followed it up with a 22 goal season. 

Poor players, or non PL quality players, can score stupid amounts of goals in that league. 

So, no.

Taking a punt on the f.o.t.m. of that league is not a gamble we should be taking at this point. 

And considering they are reportedly asking £ 30-40 million, I'm not sure the term 'punt' qualifies here. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

You're talking about a league where we sold Scott Sinclair to Celtic and he had a 22 goal season. 

Poor players, or non PL quality players, can score stupid goals in that league. 

So, no.

Taking a punt on the f.o.t.m. of that league is not a gamble we should be taking at this point. 

That Mousa Dembele lad hasnt done too badly 😉

7 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

There will always be exceptions, so that's not really the point. 

But fwiw doesn't Moussa play in Ligue 1, not the PL? 

He does but he also just scored 2 goals to knock City out of the champions league

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

You're talking about a league where we sold Scott Sinclair to Celtic and he followed it up with a 22 goal season. 

Poor players, or non PL quality players, can score stupid amounts of goals in that league. 

So, no.

And considering they are reportedly asking £ 30-40 million, I'm not sure the term 'punt' qualifies here. 

Normally agree with not paying to much attention to players scoring loads of goals in Scotland but I have watched a fair bit of this lad and he is strong quick and can finish which I are still qualities that can cross the border. Plus I don’t see Celtic being able to turn down £25 mill so no way we would pay 40 at least not up front 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

So, no.

Scott Sinclair was at his peak, had nearly 100 PL appearances behind him and only managed that scoring season once. Edouard has consistently scored goals, at a very young age including at u21 and in Europe.

Don’t look at the league (which I admit is pretty poor), look at the player. He has all the attributes required to be a top player. He will always be a handful for defences and he will score goals. He could easily be a £100m player in a year or two. It is a lot of money but you are paying for raw ability and potential.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VillaHatesMe said:

I'm an American who didn't start paying attention to this sport until his early 20s, and the idea of the lower leagues of English football being used by B-teams seems like sacrilege to me. The lower leagues are a huge part of what makes English football great. To get rid of teams and further "corporatize" things so that it's roughly 20 clubs owning the entire country would destroy the very fabric of the game.

Well said 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

39 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Or he won't make the step up. There's no guarantees. And I'd personally not stick our hopes this season on an SPL player, but each to their own I guess. 

VVD did alright when he came south, dembele did alright vs city at the weekend

you have to take each player on an individual basis, celtic are (and should) increasingly be a stepping stone to the PL for a lot of young players, can see ajer down here one day too

id much rather him than morelos 

• Like 1