Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

With regards to signing players from the SPL (or Championship for that matter), I believe you need to properly scout them and evaluate them across various metrics and also consider your team's playing style.  Purely signing players on their stats is a mistake and why the likes of Hogan and McCormack did not work out.

Edited by nepal_villan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

You're talking about a league where we sold Scott Sinclair to Celtic and he followed it up with a 22 goal season. 

Poor players, or non PL quality players, can score stupid amounts of goals in that league. 

So, no.

Taking a punt on the f.o.t.m. of that league is not a gamble we should be taking at this point. 

And considering they are reportedly asking £ 30-40 million, I'm not sure the term 'punt' qualifies here. 

Mcginn, Robertson, van dijk, Tierney.

There's probably more. 2 of those are current Pl Champions. I agree that the SPL is a weak league, but to dismiss it out of hand is crazy IMO. Certainly when we are a club who avoided relegation by the skin of our teeth. We CANNOT sign the best players from the teams above us. No matter how much YOU want us to.

9 hours ago, thabucks said:

No problem with that, we need quality competition, especially in midfield. No one should be assured of their place in the team. 

That's exactly true, every player needs to know that the better they do compared to the man behind there back gives them there place while if you are underperforming the man chasing your position starts if he performs better. My only concern is that Smith and co will still use players that are underperforming, even when it's a clear message to change them for better options be it better performing or youth,Smith has a tendency to stick by favourite players to much.

That is why we need depth in the squad now. Hopefully recruitment gets it spot on and Smith gets who he desires. It's going to be an exciting season coming up but we must not forget that we have no covid 19 get out of jail free card this time to regroup ourselves, we have to get this season right straight away.

Hurry up a signing at least, want to see what transfer capability we have and see if were targeting what the media says we are or entirely different pool of players.

1 minute ago, Mjvilla said:

Mcginn, Robertson, van dijk, Tierney.

There's probably more. 2 of those are current Pl Champions. I agree that the SPL is a weak league, but to dismiss it out of hand is crazy IMO. Certainly when we are a club who avoided relegation by the skin of our teeth. We CANNOT sign the best players from the teams above us. No matter how much YOU want us to.

That goes both ways. Craig Gordon, McFadden, McGeady, Maloney. Though I guess you can argue McFadden had some minor success. 

And you're creating a complete strawman here. I'm not dismissing it. Nor am I saying I want us to sign the best players from the teams above us. 

9 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

We CANNOT sign the best players from the teams above us. No matter how much YOU want us to.

Might not be able to sign the best players in the business from teams above us. But we could sign players from teams above us and abroad who are better players than from the leagues below the premier level from top clubs. It's not impossible, it's just tougher because were not in europe, have just survived a relegation battle, however somewhere along the line we are going to have to start luring players with better capabilities who are much better quality. We have to start testing the waters in those areas as well, if we can survive next season much much better without relegation even becoming a thing at all then there is no reason why we cant up our transfer game.

25 minutes ago, Kingman said:

When do the players return back for training?

Within 10 minutes of your post, Bham mail twitter posted your answer.

The case against the press having nout to do but scouring the forums is rested M'Lord. 

Edited by Phil Silvers
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

You're talking about a league where we sold Scott Sinclair to Celtic and he followed it up with a 22 goal season. 

Poor players, or non PL quality players, can score stupid amounts of goals in that league. 

So, no.

Taking a punt on the f.o.t.m. of that league is not a gamble we should be taking at this point. 

And considering they are reportedly asking £ 30-40 million, I'm not sure the term 'punt' qualifies here. 

13 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

That goes both ways. Craig Gordon, McFadden, McGeady, Maloney. Though I guess you can argue McFadden had some minor success. 

And you're creating a complete strawman here. I'm not dismissing it. Nor am I saying I want us to sign the best players from the teams above us. 

Not quite sure what you have to say to actually dismiss it then?

Petrov, Stuart Armstrong, Fraser Forster, wanyama. All signings which would improve this current squad. All from scotland. 

I know you didn't say about signing the best players from the team above, but I really don't know who you'd expect us to sign considering virtually all links have been dismissed (want me to find the quotes?) by you? I'd say all players we've been linked with would improve this squad and 95% of them would improve the first team. 

12 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Although I don’t want anyone to feel safe in their position, there are members of the team that we shouldn’t look to be replacing with £20/25m+ players until we’ve replaced the ones we need to.

Heaton (injury aside), McGinn, Luiz, Mings & Grealish are probably our best players currently. Why bring in competition for any of them, when the money could be spent on replacing the likes of El Ghazi, Trez, Hourihane, Wesley etc?

If we spent £25m on a player to push McGinn to the bench, then it’s likely we’d end up seeing one of El Ghazi, Trez or Wesley in the first team regularly next season.

When you’re looking at the likes of Benrahma (25-30m), Watkins (22m+) another striker (20-30m) and also a goalkeeping solution for while Heaton is away, I don’t think we’ll be spending similar fees on a player that’ll push one of our best players to the bench.

I would think any money spent on such positions would be in addition to our greatest needs, not instead of.

13 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Not quite sure what you have to say to actually dismiss it then?

Petrov, Stuart Armstrong, Fraser Forster, wanyama. All signings which would improve this current squad. All from scotland. 

I know you didn't say about signing the best players from the team above, but I really don't know who you'd expect us to sign considering virtually all links have been dismissed (want me to find the quotes?) by you? I'd say all players we've been linked with would improve this squad and 95% of them would improve the first team. 

Okey seems this is difficult to grasp, but all I'm saying is that the success stories from the SPL involves a big risk, as they are playing in a really poor league and there's no guarantee they will handle the championship, nevermind the PL. 

I'd be far more comfortable about Watkins that has shown he's able to hold his own in the championship, than a striker that's doing well for Celtic and the SPL. Doing well in for Celtic in that league doesn't say a whole lot. 

Maybe he'll make the step up and be worth the risk, but at the quoted £ 30-40 million fee you can probably sign 2 players else where with the same amount of risk involved. 

I'm not utterly sold on Watkins either, but at least based on where he has performed to a high level before, he's got a better CV than this Celtic bloke. 

I'm not sure you know that mind, cause you literally said otherwise. Thus I pointed it out. 

In the end it's just about Deano for me. He needs to get the players he wants, whoever they are. And I will support that. But we also got X amounts of money available for transfers, so we need to be smart about it. 

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Okey seems this is difficult to grasp, but all I'm saying is that the success stories from the SPL involves a big risk, as they are playing in a really poor league and there's no guarantee they will handle the championship, nevermind the PL. 

I'd be far more comfortable about Watkins that has shown he's able to hold his own in the championship, than a striker that's doing well for Celtic and the SPL. Doing well in for Celtic in that league doesn't say a whole lot. 

Maybe he'll make the step up and be worth the risk, but at the quoted £ 30-40 million fee you can probably sign 2 players else where with the same amount of risk involved. 

I'm not utterly sold on Watkins either, but at least based on where he has performed to a high level before, he's got a better CV than this Celtic bloke. 

I'm not sure you know that mind, cause you literally said otherwise. Thus I pointed it out. 

In the end it's just about Deano for me. He needs to get the players he wants, whoever they are. And I will support that. But we also got X amounts of money available for transfers, so we need to be smart about it. 

Have you seen Edouard play? Not being snarky, genuine question.