Relegation thread

Knutserov13

15 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

You seem to think you are refuting my argument, but you’re actually supporting it

Rather than make an uneven comparison between Bruce and Smith this season where they are managing different squads at different stages of development, a more realistic comparison should be based on what they could do with the same players (Jack Grealish, Tammy Abraham, Elmo, John McGinn, El Ghazi etc)

Please explain how this is “blinkered” or “having my cake and eating it”

NB I wasn’t a fan of his football but I was a supporter of Bruce until very late on - I’ve no axe to grind with him but feel that Smith has done a much better job in his time here 

I much prefer to watch Deans football in general.

Dean did a better job when he took over granted, but they were good players Steve Left, some say otherwise was my point, thats not fair.

Part of our team then ,was  players left by Steve Bruce, not the other way around.......If it was the other way around, I would give acknowledgement to Dean for leaving them......just like Vic Crowe left Ron some decent kids, but could not emulate the success.

I understand the comparison, but a large part of Deans team that season was left by Steve and Dean was generous enough to admit that....its just Dean got more out of them, thankfully.

.......Look we need to drop this now, its peeing everyone off and we don't want to do that.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I've been off this forum for almost a year..  

Arriving back and seeing Bruce debates are still going on is just incredible.

Sticking with the current situation... Will you be avoiding watching the game tomorrow afterall Omariqy?

I wish I could but I will give I'm sure 

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I much prefer to watch Deans football in general.

Dean did a better job when he took over granted, but they were good players Steve Left, some say otherwise was my point, thats not fair.

Part of our team then ,was  players left by Steve Bruce, not the other way around.......If it was the other way around, I would give acknowledgement to Dean for leaving them......just like Vic Crowe left Ron some decent kids, but could not emulate the success.

I understand the comparison, but a large part of Deans team that season was left by Steve and Dean was generous enough to admit that....its just Dean got more out of them, thankfully.

That’s all true but wasn’t the point I was making

2 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

That’s all true but wasn’t the point I was making

never mind....folk are getting bored with it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

You cant count ifs and buts else you have to consider the goal sheff united scored against us, the last minutes goals we did score against brighton and watford. For me, everyone has these moments in a season, they tend to balance out over the season.

Very true but other than the sheff utd incident we really have had not much luck with var. We have had so many gk against us its ridiculous and very little in our favour

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Thank you for so eloquently responding to that with the exact same message I wanted to convey. 

It's also the same reason we aren't doing a Fulham. 

I can't believe people can't grasp that although we spent so much money, the majority of it was to put us back to being the 5th best team in The Championship.   We would then need to spend a few more million quid to haul ourselves up to the level of Norwich. 

Our net spend to create an actual team to Challenge in the Premier League was then quite small.   People have to look beyond the numbers and look at what we had to do. 

Minor quibble but although I agree with all of this I would say we were the 3rd/4th best team in the Champ not 5th. I know we finished 5th but by the time we hit our stride we were some distance better than the other teams in the playoff places (except a sliding Leeds which is why I say 3rd/4th). But your key points are absolutely right.

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

Pretty sure he won't be going anywhere, nor will Dean or Purslow.  If you get rid of Suso you probably end up losing all the work and scouting of players we have done and have to start again.  If we stay up then we can hopefully attract the first choice targets rather than the second or third choice and suddenly our recruitment looks fine after all.

Think you might be right, if people have all the excuses in the world for why Deano hasn't hit the ground running, the limitations he has had to endure etc. What makes them think Suso hasn't been hampered by obstacles as well, and has actually done good groundwork in the background which will take a bit more time to be fully realised?

Not saying that is or isn't the case obviously.

Ultimately you are hoping the board knows best.

• Like 2

I’m not that worried, West Ham’s players have got nothing to play for, their heads will be full of holiday ideas safe in the knowledge they’re premier league players. As long as they get the running stats up and keep the score respectable they’ll be satisfied with their collective performance in the run in.

The Villa players know this game is an absolute must win, which will decide if they drop to the second division or remain premier league players. 

2-0 Villa, hugs and high fives all round. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MrSmirch said:

I’m not that worried, West Ham’s players have got nothing to play for, their heads will be full of holiday ideas safe in the knowledge they’re premier league players. As long as they get the running stats up and keep the score respectable they’ll be satisfied with their collective performance in the run in.

The Villa players know this game is an absolute must win, which will decide if they drop to the second division or remain premier league players. 

2-0 Villa, hugs and high fives all round. 

Yeah but Brady & Co have probably put them on a 1M per man bonus if they win. Long memory that Brady! 

2 hours ago, TRO said:

All that is true Rob....but a bad workman blames his tools, its life in this league.....most clubs have a story to tell....except the top ones, who seem to avoid bad desisions ( hush my mouth)

We have to focus on what really matters ......us and getting better.....clumsy and untidy play, can attract poor decisions, shouldn't but they do....thats why the lower teams seem to suffer more.

This isn’t a case of a bad workman blaming his tools @TRO.

That would be me including the slips and trips like Engels against Spurs or Davis missing the chance against Arsenal, or including the tight VAR calls like Wesley’s heel being 1mm offside for a goal.

You could just chalk off anything you wanted with that ‘bad workman’ statement if you wanted, but that doesn’t make it valid.

I believe we genuinely have had more ‘actually wrong’ wrong ref/VAR decisions than most clubs this season. Most clubs probably had 2-3 wrong and then a couple that went in their favour. 

Talk of clumsy play and ironing out errors is a completely different discussion. But it just feels like you’re trying to twist something unrelated into your ‘we’ve not been good enough’ spiel.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

It's funny how so many people feel that Everton will be on the beach, yet West Ham will be bang up for it. 

Same people that think all Premier League teams want us relegated

On 24/07/2020 at 14:18, LondonVillian said:

One win and suddenly everyones sucking off ds - even if we stay up he has to go

That just leaves a bad taste in the mouth. 

• Haha 2