Relegation thread

Knutserov13

9 hours ago, villalad21 said:

A losing cup final is nothing to brag about.

Well at least to me it is. But maybe i have a different mentality than some.

17th isn't a good season. It's an acceptable season.

We have shown we are a better side than Newcastle over 2 games and yet they are mid table. Smith needs to get more out of these players on a consistent basis. It's no good just to turn up the last 10 games of the season.

This has happened in 2 seasons in a row now. You have to show these performance levels and desire from start to finish.

This is precisely why, despite what happens tomorrow, I really don't know whether he's the right man to carry on long term. As you say, we were a shower of shit for the majority of last season and only woke up for the finale. Same this season - only started to put in performances since returning from lockdown. Where has this been all season? Let's be honest, we've looked relegation fodder for the vast majority of the season and are fortunate that two teams below us are somehow even worse. We're AVFC, think big, not mediocre. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I'm not disagreeing with sacking Bruce at that point. It was the end of a cycle and we needed fresh ideas.

I just don't get the amount of shit he gets from fans when he was the man who stabilized us and brought in players like Hourihane and McGinn which we hugely benefit from even now.

He picked that fight.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

At one point? It was practically every game lol. Tuanzebe was also playing right back, it was a mess.

😂 Christ, I can’t remember, must have blocked it out. Remember the Chris Samba upfront fiasco too!?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MikeAVFC said:

This is precisely why, despite what happens tomorrow, I really don't know whether he's the right man to carry on long term. As you say, we were a shower of shit for the majority of last season and only woke up for the finale. Same this season - only started to put in performances since returning from lockdown. Where has this been all season? Let's be honest, we've looked relegation fodder for the vast majority of the season and are fortunate that two teams below us are somehow even worse. We're AVFC, think big, not mediocre. 

If he keeps us up he deserves a chance to prove that he can take us to the next level. Which would be a mid table finish.

Although i wouldn't hesitate a second to pull the plug if there were an actual chance landing either Gallardo or Pochettino.

24 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

At one point? It was practically every game lol. Tuanzebe was also playing right back, it was a mess.

I remember one game we ended up with 4 RB’s at the back 😂. I think it was Bruce’s last game.(Counting Tuanzbe as a rb at the time as that’s where he had started most games).

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Since Samatta scored against Bournemouth thirteen games ago Trezeguet is the only one of our players other than defenders that have scored for us. Really could do with some of Grealish, Hourihane, McGinn, El Ghazi, Samtta and Davis finding some goal scoring form tomorrow.

• Like 3

If we do go down I will think back to the Liverpool home game.

In the dying minutes ref played an advantage play flowed until a Liverpool shot on goal. The ref then deemed that as Liverpool hadn't scored they must have the free kick. Which resulted in a corner from which Liverpool scored. The ref quite blatantly got the rules wrong.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, useless said:

Since Samatta scored against Bournemouth thirteen games ago Trezeguet is the only one of our players other than defenders that have scored for us. Really could do with some of Grealish, Hourihane, McGinn, El Ghazi, Samtta and Davis finding some goal scoring form tomorrow.

Yep the law of averages for Davis must kick in soon.

Must admit I don't see us beating west ham - going to be a very nervy afternoon.

1 hour ago, MikeAVFC said:

Agree.

Questions have to be asked, regardless of what happens tomorrow.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jim said:

Agree.

Questions have to be asked, regardless of what happens tomorrow.

What is important is who is available.

We need to think big and act like a big club. Messed around with average British managers for far too long.

Hughton would be underwhelming. If that is the other option i wouldn't be that much against sticking with Smith.

Edited by villalad21

0252F465-4E06-4A63-9B2C-F37DB21ECF61.jpeg

Another way of looking at the permutations. Green means definitely stay up, red means definitely down. Orange means decided on goal difference. We have 12 scenarios in which we definitely stay up, Watford have 9. Bournemouth have only 4 where goal difference decides. 

Will be clutching this and watching nervously tomorrow.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Thanks 1