Relegation thread

Knutserov13

54 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

It was only 11 games into the season. 2 points off 6th

Not even remotely the same scenario. Smith had players like McGinn, Tammy Abraham, Axel Tuanzebe, El Ghazi, Grealish

The team Bruce inherited was so incredibly shit. I actually looked it up now. Truly horrendous squad. Took until the next season before Bruce managed to sort out much of the mess.

It was shit but you could easily twist it in to he had players like Chester, Jedinak, Amavi, Ayew, Kodija, McCormack, Gollini, Westwood.   Gabby, Grealish, Elphick, Adomah.

Then he had the luxury of adding Johnston, Lansbury, Hourihane and Hogan in January! 

yeah Bruce had an impossible job.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

It was only 11 games into the season. 2 points off 6th

Not even remotely the same scenario. Smith had players like McGinn, Tammy Abraham, Axel Tuanzebe, El Ghazi, Grealish

The team Bruce inherited was so incredibly shit. I actually looked it up now. Truly horrendous squad. Took until the next season before Bruce managed to sort out much of the mess.

Why did we sack him. 

On 24/07/2020 at 10:43, villalad21 said:

Ok sure.

Whelan and Jedi. Pretty easy pick for me. Premier League experience and i'm far from convinced Nakamba is any better. Thor as well is fine as backup. Is he really any worse than Lansbury? Nah. Out of all of them i'd get rid of Lansbury and bring in Luiz.

Elphick and Adomah is fine as back up players.

Hutton we wouldn't need because we already had Guilbert and Elmo.

Scott Hogan looked fine in Pre Season. Again would be perfectly fine as back up.

Keeping all these players would mean we could go for our main targets such as Maupay, Benrahma etc instead of rushing signing a bunch of mercenaries to make up a squad.

If this entire post isn't a joke then could you book yourself in for a psychological assessment please? I think Lockdown might have gotten to you

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Because the fans turned, cabbage and Whelan missed a pen :) 

Because performances were getting worse, players weren’t responding and we looked like there was no idea in tactics and formations.

Which caused the fans to turn.

43 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It was shit but you could easily twist it in to he had players like Chester, Jedinak, Amavi, Ayew, Kodija, McCormack, Gollini, Westwood.   Gabby, Grealish, Elphick, Adomah.

Then he had the luxury of adding Johnston, Lansbury, Hourihane and Hogan in January! 

yeah Bruce had an impossible job.

Terrible team compared to last season's team.

John McGinn and Tammy Abraham just makes all the difference. I'd even argue we had a stronger eleven last season than we have this season.

And don't forget it was Bruce who signed Tuanzebe and McGinn in the first place.

5 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

Because performances were getting worse, players weren’t responding and we looked like there was no idea in tactics and formations.

Which caused the fans to turn.

I'm not disagreeing with sacking Bruce at that point. It was the end of a cycle and we needed fresh ideas.

I just don't get the amount of shit he gets from fans when he was the man who stabilized us and brought in players like Hourihane and McGinn which we hugely benefit from even now.

Edited by villalad21

12 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

If we lose to west ham, I think we are down. One of them will get something.

Howe is saying they are going all out for the win but i mean he has to say that. Defensively, i think they are the worst of the 3 teams in it. They look very fragile when anyone comes at them. You'd have to think Everton will get chances. Arsenal will beat Watford.

21 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I'm not disagreeing with sacking Bruce at that point. It was the end of a cycle and we needed fresh ideas.

I just don't get the amount of shit he gets from fans when he was the man who stabilized us and brought in players like Hourihane and McGinn which we hugely benefit from even now.

Can’t you see he left us weak in defence and signed a lot of attacking players as a reaction to the criticism he was too defensive? Which highly rated manager starts the season with one half fit centre half and a second centre half played at right back? 

I personally think he engineered his own sacking and if people don’t believe that then they must think he is a really shit manager. I actually think he’s a decent manager that would never start a season with a team that weak at the back unless he no longer gave a shit. 

14 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Can’t you see he left us weak in defence and signed a lot of attacking players as a reaction to the criticism he was too defensive? Which highly rated manager starts the season with one half fit centre half and a second centre half played at right back? 

I personally think he engineered his own sacking and if people don’t believe that then they must think he is a really shit manager. I actually think he’s a decent manager that would never start a season with a team that weak at the back unless he no longer gave a shit. 

It was a difficult summer. Rumours going on saying we may go bankrupt.

I'd like to think he'd strengthen the defence if we had a normal summer. Who did he let go? Was it Elphick? Agree that was a strange decision.

Although i must say i found it highly disappointing that we would rather play an injured Chester than giving some in the U23 a chance. We even played Hutton as a CB.

I just find it really heartbreaking the little amount of faith we put in our youngsters.

Edited by villalad21

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I'd like to think he'd strengthen the defence if we had a normal summer. Who did he let go? Was it Elphick? Agree that was a strange decision.

Although i must say i found it highly disappointing that we would rather play an injured Chester than giving some in the U23 a chance. We'd even played Hutton as a CB.

I just find it really heartbreaking the little amount of faith we put in our youngsters.

Didn’t we play Jedinak as a CB too at one point? Desperate times.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Although i must say i found it highly disappointing that we would rather play an injured Chester than giving some in the U23 a chance. 

It was and Bruce was making all sorts of noises about how he was staying with the club like a hero. After the takeover everything changed.  I reckon he knew his days were numbered and he was no longer needed or wanted.

He let Steer and Green go too. Green maybe understandable but the former played a massive part in the promotion push. 

Anyway this debate has been done to death so leave it there. 

• Thanks 1