Relegation thread

Knutserov13

We need Leicester to beat Bournemouth tonight and for Bournemouth to get a spanking v Man City. They may get something against Southampton but that is a South East Coast Derby so some pride at stake there. I see them taking 4 points maximum if they lose tonight. 

I am hoping West Ham beat Watford because Watford should lose the last two. That'll leave them on 34 points and hopefully with a gd of - 28+

If Villa can get a point v Everton and a win v West Ham on the last day, as long as we don't lose to Arsenal by more than we win by at West Ham, we would be safe. 

All that is not unfeasible guys. 

17 minutes ago, useless said:

Our goal difference is only four goals worse off than Watford, wouldn't take the most unlikely set of results for us to overtake them by gaining just four points...

If they were to lose to West Ham 2-1, Man City 4-0, and Arsenal 2-0, and we were to draw with Everton 1-1, lose to Arsenal 3-1, and beat West Ham 2-1...

Then we'd finisih above them.

Wonder what odds you would get for that run of results 

• Like 1

It doesn't have to be those exact results, it could be a variation on them, the most unlikely aspect to that scenario is probably Watford losing all three games, but that wouldn't be the most unlikely thing to happen. But guess what I've got a feeling we might sneak something against Arsnenal, we haven't been able to beat one of the better sides this season and that would be our last chance, maybe we'll do it at the last opportunity.

we really need west ham to be on the beach when they play us. with the stress of relegation looming over their players, for them to be safe would be massive for us, as they really wouldn't give a shit even if we spanked them. they're safe, that's what matters

9 minutes ago, Hobbit Feet said:

Norwich beat Man City at home this year. Nothing is certain we just got keep trying. If we go down fighting I will be happy it was the not trying that bothered me.

Norwich always look like creating chances though. Watford seem devoid of ideas and already got spanked 8-0 by them earlier this season, and 6-0 in the game before that. If they can overcome that mental block and beat City they might just deserve to stay up after all.

2 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Interestingly enough, West Ham beating Watford is the only result that would mean overtaking either of those two sides is out of our own hands.

Assuming, as we must, that we beat Everton, then if Watford beat or draw with West Ham, we would have to match the latter’s result against Man Utd in our game against Arsenal and then win on the last day to stay up.

Whereas if West Ham beat Watford it’s out of our hands to catch both. West Ham would probably be safe on the last day, though not necessarily.

In conclusion, I’m not sure what to conclude. Probably a draw is the best result, since it gives us the best chance of catching both/either of West Ham and Watford. It also matters little to the various scenarios if West Ham get either 0 or 1 points in that match, so it’s better for Watford to get 1 than 3 then. As long as we’re prepared for a final day shootout vs West Ham.

It’s definitely better for West Ham to beat Watford. We don’t need to catch both, we just need to catch one of them.

Watford’s fixtures after West Ham are both very tough games (Arsenal & Man City), therefore they’re the one and only team that we should realistically be aiming to climb above. This stuff about it not being in our hands and needing to match/beat their results doesn’t matter as much when you see them playing two teams that will likely (fingers crossed!) beat them by 2 goals or more.

100% the result we want is for a rejuvenated West Ham go beat Watford before they have to face two really tough teams. That’s our best chance of survival.

• Like 1

It’s simple. We have to get within 2 points of West Ham in the next two matches and beat them last day. Watford will be fine and Bournemouth look doomed so it’s a straight shootout.

Edited by R.Bear

4 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

It’s simple. We have to get within 2 points of West Ham in the next two matches and beat them last day. Watford will be fine and Bournemouth look doomed so it’s a straight shootout.

Watford are likely going to be thrashed by City going into the final day.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Arsenal are almost "at the beach" territory.

The loss today pretty much puts them into nothing to play for territory, along with Palace and Everton.

There’s a crack in the door for us...

Beat Everton and I might dare to dream.

2 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I can see Watford beating Arsenal. I don't think they're any good. Overrated Arsenal that is. 

But they don't like Watford. Have not lost to them since Deeney called them soft