Relegation thread

Knutserov13

Just now, Genie said:

The loss today pretty much puts them into nothing to play for territory, along with Palace and Everton.

There’s a crack in the door for us...

Beat Everton and I might dare to dream.

I don't think i can handle the West Ham game if it will be win or bust.

The nerves man... would be like a proper play off final

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I can see Watford beating Arsenal. I don't think they're any good. Overrated Arsenal that is. 

I think our competition is with West Ham, We need Watford to beat them and leave them catchable by us.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

I don't think i can handle the West Ham game if it will be win or bust.

The nerves man... would be like a proper play off final

It would be mental, and the pubs are back open 😬

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

that's where i'm at. call me misery guts but i wasn't jumping around the room today. we HAVE to beat everton and west ham. as crap as they are i see arsenal beating us

It would be really sweet leaving our first win against the big 6 until the penultimate game that leads us to safety.

Also Nathan Ake looks done. Bournemouth getting pulled apart. I think that's them down now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

If it's an all or nothing between us and the hammers we'd beat them. The only thing in their favour is the fact there's no crowds. Their lot are more pessimistic than us.

I don't really see it like that. They've been pretty good at home since Moyes came in, only lost to Burnley due to a Nick Pope masterclass in goal.

Much rather go there with them mentally on the beach.

What would make the last game even more stressful would be the unlikely scenario we beat Everton and Arsenal and go into the last game out of the relegation zone knowing lose and we’re down. 
I know it’s technically better, but I wouldn’t trust us to try and see out a draw and park the bus.

West Ham can turn it on at any time. They have players like Yarmolenko, Fornals, Anderson and now Haller coming back from injury etc. Wouldn't want to play them with their tails up. They're not like Watford who are actually crap.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I don't really see it like that. They've been pretty good at home since Moyes came in, only lost to Burnley due to a Nick Pope masterclass in goal.

Much rather go there with them mentally on the beach.

We need them to be catchable on the last day otherwise it’s out of our hands. If they are safe we could beat them on the last day and still go down if Watford win.

I don’t see Watford as competition now, we need them to beat West Ham and whatever they want want versus Arsenal.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

It’s definitely better for West Ham to beat Watford. We don’t need to catch both, we just need to catch one of them.

Watford’s fixtures after West Ham are both very tough games (Arsenal & Man City), therefore they’re the one and only team that we should realistically be aiming to climb above. This stuff about it not being in our hands and needing to match/beat their results doesn’t matter as much when you see them playing two teams that will likely (fingers crossed!) beat them by 2 goals or more.

100% the result we want is for a rejuvenated West Ham go beat Watford before they have to face two really tough teams. That’s our best chance of survival.

I agree that Watford will probably lose at Man City and/or Arsenal, which would put it into our own hands (again assuming that we beat Everton first of all), I just prefer certainties not ifs and buts. Fact is that West Ham beating Watford still means us relying on them to drop points in their next 2 games. As you say, they probably will, but they might not. I just thought this point was one worth making given that most people are hoping for a West Ham win in that match, and it should also help people to see the positive side if that result doesn't happen.

Watford winning, on the other hand, doesn't really help us, as I've already made the point that if West Ham don't win then it doesn't change much whether they would lose or draw (since we would have to beat them on the last day and therefore gain 3 points on them). It would then be best if Watford only gained 1 point rather than 3, since then we can still catch both teams. And I know that we don;t have to catch both, but if two teams above us are catchable, then it's more likely that we can catch 1 out of 2 of them than 1 out of 1.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

What would make the last game even more stressful would be the unlikely scenario we beat Everton and Arsenal and go into the last game out of the relegation zone knowing lose and we’re down. 
I know it’s technically better, but I wouldn’t trust us to try and see out a draw and park the bus.

I think most of us would still be grateful just to take it to the last day.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

The loss today pretty much puts them into nothing to play for territory, along with Palace and Everton.

There’s a crack in the door for us...

Beat Everton and I will believe we actually have a chance. Not for anything less than a win, though.

• Like 1

West Ham could still go down.

Arsenal play Liverpool and Man City before they play Villa and Watford. If they fail to win those 2 games their season will be over and  they will be beaching it against us and Watford.

Would be pretty unthinkable though. West Ham's squad is very good.

Edited by villalad21