Generic Virus Thread

villakram

3 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Are you allowed to be  in a support bubble if from another area? 

I assume it means the exercise shouldn't be outside your local area. So no trips from London to the Brecon Beacons under the guise of exercise.

Delivering groceries to your housebound grandmother in the next town who would otherwise starve = still fine.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kingman said:

Are you allowed to be  in a support bubble if from another area? 

It will depend on what the legislation says. I believe that's currently the case and the guidance simply says:

...if you form a support bubble, it is best if this is with a household who live locally.

Prepare to debate this point, however, if you're stopped by a copper.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I think its mainly because there has been less social interaction between people than normal, so the flu hasnt been able to spread as easily as previous years.

Doh...yes of course.

1 minute ago, bickster said:

I would imagine it was obtained from the local family run hardware store owned by a convicted paedophile

Always have the best colour ranges in all fairness 

• Haha 3

Wisconsin pharmacist who left vials out believed vaccine could harm people and change their DNA, police say

The Wisconsin pharmacist arrested last week after allegedly removing vials of the Moderna Covid-19 vaccine from cold storage is a conspiracy theorist who believes the vaccine could harm people, police say.

Pharmacist Steven Brandenburg, 46, is accused of intentionally leaving out 57 vials, prompting hospital officials to sequester most of the doses because they thought the vaccine was rendered ineffective.
In a probable cause statement obtained by CNN affiliate WTMJ, authorities say Brandenburg admitted to investigators he believed in conspiracy theories and believed "the COVID-19 vaccine was not safe for people and could harm them and change their DNA."

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/04/us/wisconsin-pharmacist-vaccine-vials-court-hearing/index.html

What a bat shit crazy country that is. A pharmacist?! 

• Like 1

On 23/09/2020 at 19:11, darrenm said:

I don't understand why no-one else is mentioning that this will probably be a non issue by the new year because of at least one of the vaccines.

When I said new year, I meant by the first quarter of the new year 🤔🤨

On 23/09/2020 at 19:44, HanoiVillan said:

@darrenm see @Genie's comment above. I don't want to rule out *any* vaccine having been distributed to *anybody*, but the approval, production, distribution and logistical challenges are substantial. I think you're too optimistic about the timelines, and by some distance (though of course I would be delighted for you to be proven right).

Shall we call it a draw? They started vaccinating in 2020 but won't scale up for the next week or so. Johnson is still saying they'll have all of the at-risk done by Easter..

On 23/09/2020 at 19:54, darrenm said:

Fair enough. I'm pretty sure the production already started a while ago. This was on the 5th June:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52917118

Since then the trials have gone better than expected with almost no interruptions and a strong immune response shown so if anything they will have become more confident to invest and ramp up production in readiness.

Distribution yes would be a challenge. Approval is decided by the governing body which is conveniently, the government. Perhaps I am too optimistic with the timescales but I'm basing it on how desperate I think the situation is about to get. The end of furlough, more lockdown restrictions of hospitality, businesses going bump everywhere - I can just see the government seeing this is their lifeline and parting the seas to get it through.

I think this was largely correct but it seems production hasn't been pre-scaled up as promised and all of the distribution hasn't been sorted out ready to go. But I think the latest lockdown coinciding with the vaccine rollout probably counts as them seeing it as their lifeline but I'm still to see a 'parting of the seas'

48 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Just had a quick look at villa twitter (I know, scary place) and found. 

"stop making the prime minister political ... i give up"

Who was it who said there won't be anyone left supporting him?

:crylaugh:

'His recent spell in an ICU' was in the first half of last year; he's been back at work for more than 6 months. If he doesn't feel up to handling a national crisis, what is best? To carry on failing, or to hand over to someone in a fit state to deal with it?

Risible excuses.

Edited by blandy
removed sweary quoted tweet
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

:crylaugh:

'His recent spell in an ICU' was in the first half of last year; he's been back at work for more than 6 months. If he doesn't feel up to handling a national crisis, what is best? To carry on failing, or to hand over to someone in a fit state to deal with it?

Risible excuses.

**** up and making bad decisions when other countries have shown the correct decisions can be made, yep not his fault.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

I hope so @sidcow. It’s amazing what some pleasant weather can do for your mood and outlook. 

On the flip side the weather was incredible during the first lockdown and it was frustrating I couldn't go anywhere.

Seem to know a lot more people who have it/have had it, this time round. Down our yard there’s 3 off with it and one of the wives is critical in hospital. She’s in her late 50s, overweight with health issues but it’s getting close to home now . It ended up killing my grandad which was a blessing in disguise, and expected, but yeah, it seems more common this lockdown compared to first lockdown. 

• Like 1

It's got into a residential home down here. Staff and a lot of patients.

The NHS is trying to prop it up, but resources are stretched already.

We don't need many more of these, or we'll really start to slide.

Â