Generic Virus Thread

villakram

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Good to see Starmer giving the bastard hell and really not letting him wriggle off the hook.

Hasn't he done exactly what Starmer suggested? Admittedly breaching the deadline by a few hours?

What's Starmer been saying? Nice to see him have a firm opinion for a change. 

Edit: Oh. Other posters suggest you might have been being sarcastic. I've been on the stout :blush:

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

Taken from a locked Twitter account, but I have copied it here because I think it's useful for people to set their expectations about what is and isn't possible from a lockdown (TL,DR - it won't be like March last year):

'There's a few related factors in play: (1) completely impossible to replicate the behavioural conditions. "we" have now had approx 10 months of this, it is no longer novel and the median "comfortable level" of lockdown activity is more relaxed than it was in (say) late March

(2) the weather is different! people are indoors more and indoor settings have less ventilation. I am quite surprised this is not used as a more straightforward explanation for the December cases surge, esp in secondary schools.

(3) in lockdown #1, lots of businesses that could legally stay open (eg B&Q, McDonald's) chose to close for some weeks, then reopened when they were 'virus secure'. No comment on whether they are or not, but they're not closing again and that's lots more people going to work.

(4) similar picture in some offices. Plenty of workplaces quite rigorous about wfh, plenty of others hate the idea and will instruct people to come in regardless and (because of the behavioural change above) will feel more comfortable doing so now than in spring.

(5) then there are the various other carve outs that are highly unlikely to change, including quite a degree of supposedly-but-not-actually 'essential' business travel. And I assume no one is calling for elite sports to be halted?

So in summary I think the best we can hope for is take the edge off the case numbers until the vaccine starts working, anything more than that is a pipe dream.

Another good one I'd forgotten - public cynicism much higher, "we're in this together" sentiment lower'

(account is https://twitter.com/simonk_133/with_replies- a good follow)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, S-Platt said:

Elite Sport??? 

Honestly I don't see a problem with this, depending on how they define "elite".

If every competitor is being regularly tested, and they cancel games if there's an infection, I'm all for it. It's incredibly low risk, and does a lot to raise the spirits of millions. I've found it a great form of escapism over a really tough Christmas break. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

He'd be hit with "Now is not the time" if he did.  Nothing sticks with this lot, the pm hid in a fridge to not answer questions on the day of election and won.

I agree that he's very good at wriggling out of the consequences of his disasters; of course the flipside is that nothing will stick if Starmer never tries anything in the first place.

Just now, Davkaus said:

If every competitor is being regularly tested, and they cancel games if there's an infection, I'm all for it. It's incredibly low risk, and does a lot to raise the spirits of millions. 

Well some guy on the news commented its off but seen no confirmation!  Looking after a 5 year old for 6 weeks is bad enough but if they cancel the footy I am going to go mad!

Just now, S-Platt said:

Well some guy on the news commented its off but seen no confirmation!  Looking after a 5 year old for 6 weeks is bad enough but if they cancel the footy I am going to go mad!

Oh, I thought you were questioning why it's not subject to lockdown, sorry for assuming!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Plenty of workplaces quite rigorous about wfh, plenty of others hate the idea and will instruct people to come in regardless and (because of the behavioural change above) will feel more comfortable doing so now than in spring.

I’ve been working from home since March but more and more last few weeks my employer is pushing people to go back to the “safe” office.

It comes up every week. “Please think how you could collaborate better with your colleagues in the safe office space”.

Ive only been in once to get my laptop repaired.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

He'd be hit with "Now is not the time" if he did.  Nothing sticks with this lot, the pm hid in a fridge to not answer questions on the day of election and won.

Best we don’t hold the government to account at this difficult time.

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

If every competitor is being regularly tested, and they cancel games if there's an infection, I'm all for it. It's incredibly low risk, and does a lot to raise the spirits of millions. I've found it a great form of escapism over a really tough Christmas break. 

What pissed me off last time was because all kids grass roots football was off, but kids in academy’s were still playing games all over the country, and training twice a week. They weren’t tested either.

The first lockdown was proper. Everything else has been luke warm which many can find a loophole in. 

Just now, Genie said:

What pissed me off last time was because all kids grass roots football was off, but kids in academy’s were still playing games all over the country, and training twice a week. They weren’t tested either.

The first lockdown was proper. Everything else has been luke warm which many can find a loophole in. 

I absolutely see that frustration.

I'm not sure what the actual rules are, if it were my decision, I'd say only televised games can be played. Sorry everyone else, but if you're not even providing entertainment, what's the **** point? I'd also ban all non-domestic competition, whether it's for club or country.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Best we don’t hold the government to account at this difficult time.

What could Starmer say though? Yesterday He called for a National Lockdown, today he got what he asked for. ABout the only thing he could say is I agree and I'm glad the Prime Minister has seen the error of his ways. Anything else would be pounced on.

I'm really not sure which stick people are beating Starmer with here. I agreed yesterday he sould have called for all schools to close more specifically than he did but when he's called for a lockdown and Johnson actually does it the very next day. What is he supposed to say?

• Like 1

Â