Generic Virus Thread

villakram

23 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

The (future) Mrs is fed up with the uncertainty of it

I think we all are but if the last twelve months (and more when you include other policy decisions) has told us anything it is that planning ought to be done with uncertainty at the forefront of our minds. We should not imagine that any view of the future is set in stone, absolutely certain or, even, anything more than merely one of many possibilities.

Beware anyone who tells you 'it (whatever it may be) will be all over by...[insert date]' - especially if they're some blonde clearing in the woods clasping their hands together on the telly like that gimp was last night.

Edited by snowychap
missed out important not!
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think by November the world will look a completely different place. If it’s not, then a cancelled wedding will be the least of our problems.

Well quite. I know in the grand scheme of hundreds dying daily, business closures and job losses it's trivial.

I mention it as it's an example of an every day decision we're faced with and I know other people are too. No one can plan anything or make any kind of big decision in their lives because of the state we're in - which admittedly isn't anyone's fault, combined with a complete lack of clarity, leadership, honesty and trust in where we're going to be in the next few months - that most certainly is someones fault.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I would be absolutely amazed if we're not back by November. 

They will have been able to vaccinate the entire population by then with both stages of the jab. 

And if the virus mutates they will have been able to adjust the vaccine by then also. 

This is the key part isn’t it...how badly will it be handled vs what is possible

BBC article at 8:30am Tuesday:

People in all of England and most of Scotland must now stay at home except for a handful of permitted reasons, as new lockdowns begin in both nations.

While the rules become law in the early hours of Wednesday, people should follow them now, the PM added.

...more

That's disgracefully shit reporting from the beeb.

Just now, fightoffyour said:

This is the key part isn’t it...how badly will it be handled

And reading between the lines of what was said last night, I'm not sure there's necessarily any intent to do both doses for any vaccine or at least in line with the regimens on which the clinical trials were carried out (I admit I may have got that wrong but that was the feeling that I got).

Let's hope that the absolute nightmare scenario (as outlined by a number of virologists, immunoligists, &c. - as a very unlikely, but still possible, outcome) of partial immunity for a period of time creating the perfect circumstances for fostering (current) vaccine-resistant strains doesn't happen.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, darrenm said:

All through the weekend, last night and today he refused to openly say "close the schools" and deflected each time to "a national plan" or "close the zoos" because he clearly doesn't want to be seen as overly friendly with the unions. Some might suggest these things are a bit more important than optics

"He refused to say" - that is optics - "him saying" is wholly optics, nothing else. He voiced his view, which was "national lockdown" - not piecemeal closures of this or that.

And on those optics, while people of a similar political persuasion to you (say) like him to be more publicly supportive of a Union leader's view or whatever, there are lots of people who have different kind of priorities - and those include "national unity" at times of crisis. People who will not want to "see politicians squabbling" while they struggle to cope with restrictions and job losses in the middle of a pandemic.

He'll have plenty of chances to say "I told you so" and "you've messed up yet again" and all the rest of it.

He's doing OK, nothing more, nothing less. He's not inspiring, he just presents a more capable, pragmatic kind of image than recent leaders of parties. Who knows how that will play with people come a time when it actually matters. Sturgeon is similar, though a better communicator and she has the advantage of actually being in power, but in essence their selling point is (whether actually the case or not) "I'm capable, I'm straightforward, clear and honest" when they pop up in a 2 minute clip that people might see on the news.

28 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

This is the key part isn’t it...how badly will it be handled vs what is possible

They will get the vaccinations done no problem I suspect. 

I have seen loads of GP's who think this is the easiest part,  especially with the AZ vaccine.

It's just the flu jab roll out on steroids 😀

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

They will get the vaccinations done no problem I suspect. 

I have seen loads of GP's who think this is the easiest part,  especially with the AZ vaccine.

It's just the flu jab roll out on steroids 😀

I certainly hope so, but I won't underestimate this government's ability to **** up literally anything.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, desensitized43 said:

My partner and I have a wedding booked in November. We've currently paid £1000 for the venue and a few hundred quid to secure the date with caterers and photographers. In total no more than £1500 paid out so far.

We don't have insurance that would cover cancellation due to covid as all the products were pulled last March when shit hit the fan. I know that's our fault as we planned to get it 18 months before so the timing couldn't have been worse.

We're due to pay the next installment for the venue - £2000 in February but we're getting very nervous about shelling out what would in total be around £6000 if we can't guarantee we can have the people we want there. To us both it seems pointless to have a big venue and all the meal/DJ etc with 15 people (from a limited number of households). Trying to anticipate what the country will look like in 11 months is impossible right now.

The (future) Mrs is fed up with the uncertainty of it and isn't too fussed about cancelling, writing off what we've paid already, and just booking a registry office wedding/reception with minimal family and just using the money we've built up over more than 2 years for a mega holiday and home improvements. I must admit although the prospect of a stripped down wedding and a holiday of a lifetime type thing does appeal, I do feel like we're surrendering to the circumstance and I'm disappointed we're having to make these decisions.

Our re-arranged one ( from May last year ) is June 2nd. But we can't be **** to think about it yet. We might be fine if they get all the vulnerable people vaccinated by April as planned ) - but then there's the stress of having to confirm things last minute with caterers, the band and numbers attending. It's become a thoroughly joyless thing to think about. My partner is refusing to think about it. I know in the grand scheme of things we're still very lucky that the worse thing we have to deal with is delays but it is stressful. For us, not normally showy people, we decided to splash out a bit when planning for it first time around, and a few grand is already committed including 75% of the venue. If we thought we could get it all back, we probably would, but we feel like that whatever happens we'll have to get married on this day anyway. But if it's only 15 people it would be a complete waste of the venue. 

Anyway, long story short, you have my sympathies, but November I suspect will be absolutely fine. 

5 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

I certainly hope so, but I won't underestimate this government's ability to **** up literally anything.

exactly this. a music festival i was due to attend last may got cancelled and all acts due to play were booked for May 2021. "ah no problem, will all be sorted by May 2021" we said. how wrong we were. literally nothing would surprise me anymore.

my biggest concern will be if (when) someone has a bad reaction or even dies from one of the vaccines. people have bad reactions to flu jabs every year, it'll happen. desperately hope the government don't put them back in the box when that happens

13 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

It's not really down to the Government this one though.

It's in the hands of the NHS now and whilst they have their problems, they ARE good at mass vaccinations.

I have the flu jab every year anyway but this year was very different.  Instead of being summoned by the Drs and booking an appointment on the phone, I went onto a new online system and picked my own slot from various days in various locations.  I got there and it was like a production line.  I was literally from door to exit in about 3 minutes.  

I have to say I was impressed.  Didn't sit down or wait at any stage.  Greeted at the door, directed to a lady sitting in the waiting area at a laptop who took my details then straight into the room for the jab and from there straight out a side door.

They have also picked up Mrs Sidcow who now qualifies for the flu vaccine and she's getting stuck tomorrow.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3

One of the best decisions we ever made was a holiday/wedding package.

Booked the holiday and invited the immediate family (14 of us in total), added on wedding package. No planning needed at all.

When we arrive we have a meeting with the holiday planner for a couple of hours to agree the details (day, time, meal, flowers, music). Then all we had to do was turn up. 
Seeing people spend shit loads of money, and the stress for months and months for a day that will probably also be very stressful... no thanks.

Booked a function room for a party when we got back for the extended family and friends.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

I know what you mean but this is out of their hands now to a certain extent,  unless they change the fundamental design of the needle I think we will be fine. (U-turn to a U-Bend shocker)

Also,  hardly any flu at all in the UK this winter.  It's there to lose.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Also,  hardly any flu at all in the UK this winter.  It's there to lose.

Is that right? I wonder if this is connected to them expanding the qualifying groups to help the NHS out this winter. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Is that right? I wonder if this is connected to them expanding the qualifying groups to help the NHS out this winter. 

I think its mainly because there has been less social interaction between people than normal, so the flu hasnt been able to spread as easily as previous years.

• Like 3

Â