Generic Virus Thread

villakram

28 minutes ago, bickster said:

Without being flippant, how does he achieve that? We're still just over an hour after Johnson finished speaking

I still don't see how he achieves it today, when Johnson did today what Starmer called for yesterday. I don't see what his avenue of attack is without "But he did what you demanded him to" being thrown right back at him

I can see that it’s best not to take the opportunity to repeat your case, which has been shown to be better than the government’s strategy, live, to an audience of millions, as it might not be seen as playing the team game.

Mine is a clunking old fashioned world where the opposition do some opposing at opportune moments, like live on prime time. Not self limit to Sunday, on Andrew Marr to an audience sometimes well in to double figures.

Too cosy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

Starmer made a rod for his own back in that he didn't back the calls last week, or even yesterday with any conviction, for schools to not reopen. Had he have done so he could now be sticking the boot into Johnson and the DFE as to why parents have been left with12 hours notice that their child's school will be shut tomorrow and the knock on effects of that.

It is a shambles that a decision that could/should have been made 2 weeks ago has been made after the horse has already bolted. Just as shambolic that the leader of the opposition didn't feel he could call the government out on it as he failed to push for them to be closed when he should have. Another open goal missed and the country is again let down by the government and, to a lesser extent, the opposition.

I complete agree with you, and couldn't have put it better myself. The one thing I would say is on the bolded, you're right he could have done that, but I don't think he ever would have, he's too timid.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

I can see that it’s best not to take the opportunity to repeat your case, which has been shown to be better than the government’s strategy, live, to an audience of millions, as it might not be seen as playing the team game.

Mine is a clunking old fashioned world where the opposition do some opposing at opportune moments, like live on prime time. Not self limit to Sunday, on Andrew Marr to an audience sometimes well in to double figures.

Too cosy.

Chris, I'm being serious, how does he do that today?

It's almost impossible I'd say to drown out the announcement of a National Lockdown, absolutely anything he said would just get lost.

I just don't get how its possible as well as not getting what he'd say

People's attention will be on what they can and cannot do and anything he says will be lost. He said we needed to lockdown yesterday, that is far more valuable than anything he can say today

Once todays dust has settled he should obviously go at him again but today... it's just a bit pointless

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I complete agree with you, and couldn't have put it better myself. The one thing I would say is on the bolded, you're right he could have done that, but I don't think he ever would have, he's too timid.

Yes, had he done that, that is the line that could have taken today but that has been his error all along

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Chris, I'm being serious, how does he do that today?

It's almost impossible I'd say to drown out the announcement of a National Lockdown, absolutely anything he said would just get lost.

I just don't get how its possible as well as not getting what he'd say

People's attention will be on what they can and cannot do and anything he says will be lost. He said we needed to lockdown yesterday, that is far more valuable than anything he can say today

Once todays dust has settled he should obviously go at him again but today... it's just a bit pointless

Did you watch it on TV? He was live on air after the PM, he was given two opportunities to put his case.

Unless you didn’t know that, I don’t understand your question of ‘how does he do it?’.

You cannot presume that in a day or two, your review of today’s news will be relevant, newsworthy, it’ll be chip paper. Today live on air is the time to point out today’s faults in government policy. 

Just now, chrisp65 said:

Unless you didn’t know that, I don’t understand your question of ‘how does he do it?’.

Ah, didn't know that. I had no intention of watching Johnson and have no idea what Starmer said this evening

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Ah, didn't know that. I had no intention of watching Johnson and have no idea what Starmer said this evening

I watched it as I had an urgent need to know about universities.

Johnson didn’t mention universities.

Neither did Starmer. As Hanoi rightly says above, real people watched that with real questions needing to be addressed.

Perhaps 80% of the electorate has quite rightly decided they are as bad as each other.

And just a reminder, this has been a recurring issue for months. We first had kids learning from home in March. Why is there still no nationwide plan for this? Other than the grand offer of laptops across the country. that was quietly withdrawn. 

Get in. Make the headlines. Get out. Don't worry about the fallout. Boris's premiership in a nutshell. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

Â