Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 minute ago, bickster said:

What could Starmer say though? Yesterday He called for a National Lockdown, today he got what he asked for. ABout the only thing he could say is I agree and I'm glad the Prime Minister has seen the error of his ways. Anything else would be pounced on.

I'm really not sure which stick people are beating Starmer with here. I agreed yesterday he sould have called for all schools to close more specifically than he did but when he's called for a lockdown and Johnson actually does it the very next day. What is he supposed to say?

He could do the obvious as you’ve suggested, plus he could point out that the Labour govt next door went in to lockdown on 28th December.

He could mention this is now a problem made significantly worse due to their lack of strategic planning or ability to see what is obvious to the rest of the country.

Huw Edwards was clearly surprised by the lack of opposition and gave him a second bight of the cherry, which he refused a second time.

10 minutes ago, bickster said:

What could Starmer say though? Yesterday He called for a National Lockdown, today he got what he asked for. ABout the only thing he could say is I agree and I'm glad the Prime Minister has seen the error of his ways. Anything else would be pounced on.

I'm really not sure which stick people are beating Starmer with here. I agreed yesterday he sould have called for all schools to close more specifically than he did but when he's called for a lockdown and Johnson actually does it the very next day. What is he supposed to say?

All through the weekend, last night and today he refused to openly say "close the schools" and deflected each time to "a national plan" or "close the zoos" because he clearly doesn't want to be seen as overly friendly with the unions. Some might suggest these things are a bit more important than optics.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

He could do the obvious as you’ve suggested, plus he could point out that the Labour govt next door went in to lockdown on 28th December.

He could mention this is now a problem made significantly worse due to their lack of strategic planning or ability to see what is obvious to the rest of the country.

Huw Edwards was clearly surprised by the lack of opposition and gave him a second bight of the cherry, which he refused a second time.

I think it could be argued thats something that should be for the days ahead and not today

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I agree that he's very good at wriggling out of the consequences of his disasters; of course the flipside is that nothing will stick if Starmer never tries anything in the first place.

Starmer made a rod for his own back in that he didn't back the calls last week, or even yesterday with any conviction, for schools to not reopen. Had he have done so he could now be sticking the boot into Johnson and the DFE as to why parents have been left with12 hours notice that their child's school will be shut tomorrow and the knock on effects of that.

It is a shambles that a decision that could/should have been made 2 weeks ago has been made after the horse has already bolted. Just as shambolic that the leader of the opposition didn't feel he could call the government out on it as he failed to push for them to be closed when he should have. Another open goal missed and the country is again let down by the government and, to a lesser extent, the opposition.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

I think it could be argued thats something that should be for the days ahead and not today

Yeah, ask the BBC for a prime time lessons learned slot when its all a bit less critical.

People will tune in in their millions.

• Like 1

So this new mutated Version 2 is said to be 70% more contagious/infectious spread than V1, 

If that's the case shouldn't the 2m social distancing rule be amended accordingly to circa 3.5m  to facilitate V2 strain?

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Virtually all shops (well the ones that are still left open), indoor gyms, swimming pools, and you are supposed to go outside to exercise once a day.

Which additions shops above the “essential” ones have been closed?

Local Poundland to us planned ahead and has some freezers installed with some food to stay open.

Edited by Genie

17 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Yeah, ask the BBC for a prime time lessons learned slot when its all a bit less critical.

People will tune in in their millions.

He said this only Saturday

And this must be the year we rebuild our country. Tory incompetence is holding Britain back. We have one of the worst Covid death tolls in Europe and the worst recession of any major economy.

We are just three days into 2021 and we’ve already had a chaotic last-minute U-turn on schools. Confusion reigns among parents, teachers and pupils over who will be back in school tomorrow and who won’t.

Boris Johnson has been found out. A Prime Minister without a plan who has dithered, delayed, overpromised and underdelivered. Britain deserves better.

I want our health and education systems to be the envy of the world, our businesses to be selling across the globe and our town centres to be a place of pride.

I want to end the cronyism in Westminster and have a Government that is giving our key workers a pay rise, not wasting billions on dodgy contracts.

And this yesterday

Sir Keir said the Prime Minister must act now, telling reporters: “The virus is clearly out of control. And there’s no good the Prime Minister hinting that further restrictions are coming into place in a week, or two or three.

“That delay has been the source of so many problems.

“So, I say bring in those restrictions now, national restrictions, within the next 24 hours.

“That has to be the first step towards controlling the virus.”

What should he be saying today that he hasn't covered in the previous two days (with the exception of close schools now, which he should have said yesterday).

It's not like he isn't saying mostly the right things

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, darrenm said:

All through the weekend, last night and today he refused to openly say "close the schools" and deflected each time to "a national plan" or "close the zoos" because he clearly doesn't want to be seen as overly friendly with the unions. Some might suggest these things are a bit more important than optics.

I refer you to my posts on this matter yesterday. That isn't what I'm talking about though. I disagree with your reasoning as to why he didn't say it but I agree that he should have called for that

1 minute ago, bickster said:

He said this only Saturday

And this yesterday

What should he be saying today that he hasn't covered in the previous two days (with the exception of close schools now, which he should have said yesterday).

It's not like he isn't saying mostly the right things

Maybe he could have said it on prime time TV after a national address by the PM.

It’s kind of part of his job.

All the tory MP’s lined up to slate the Labour Govt the day they announced the Wales lockdown, this is one way traffic and then we all stare at the voting intention polls and can’t work out why Labour aren’t 20 points ahead.

It is, quite frankly, pathetic.

• Like 3

Just now, chrisp65 said:

Maybe he could have said it on prime time TV after a national address by the PM.

It’s kind of part of his job.

All the tory MP’s lined up to slate the Labour Govt the day they announced the Wales lockdown, this is one way traffic and then we all stare at the voting intention polls and can’t work out why Labour aren’t 20 points ahead.

It is, quite frankly, pathetic.

Without being flippant, how does he achieve that? We're still just over an hour after Johnson finished speaking

I still don't see how he achieves it today, when Johnson did today what Starmer called for yesterday. I don't see what his avenue of attack is without "But he did what you demanded him to" being thrown right back at him

• Like 1

Â