Generic Virus Thread

villakram

During the first lockdown it was such a shock that everyone accepted that everyone had to stay at home. Then the logical extension of that was 'we need a few people to keep the lights on' so it would only be emergency services and food delivery, plus people to keep utilities going etc.

Now it's turned into anyone who can't do the exact same computer based office job from their dining room.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, darrenm said:

During the first lockdown it was such a shock that everyone accepted that everyone had to stay at home. Then the logical extension of that was 'we need a few people to keep the lights on' so it would only be emergency services and food delivery, plus people to keep utilities going etc.

Now it's turned into anyone who can't do the exact same computer based office job from their dining room.

A thing people will need to grapple with medium-term is what this implies for the *next* pandemic, because frankly if it is even in the next 10 or 15 years I suspect it will be impossible to recreate the level of commitment to social distancing that occurred last spring.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, darrenm said:

But its being fed down from the top of these organisations, people are being told “you’re a key worker, send your kids to school so you can carry on being fully productive for us”.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Chinese takeaway near me is still open, I was wondering if going to collect from there would consist of grocery shopping or daily exercise?

Pity the country itself won’t fully open the doors to investigators who want to find out the true cause of the virus, which is pretty important I’d say.  With all the chaos and heart break they have caused, you’d think it’s the least they can do. 

3 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

**** end my existence. 

it was an 'official' thing? i just thought it was something that people 'did' following a social media campaign or something which just ran its course.

anyway...at least tescos will be nice and quiet at around 8pm again. it was a great time to get shopping done last spring

2 hours ago, darrenm said:

Government won't be providing laptops to any kids without them so they'll be classed as 'vulnerable' and have to go into school.

So along with the businesses classing everyone as key workers now and the gov's refusal to supply laptops to kids, the schools aren't really closed after all

I’ve came home from work to “We need another laptop” . We have one that our two eldest have to take turns sharing. No chance I’m I getting another one. Also the missus has literally been teaching the kids all day, whilst the teachers are sat at home getting full pay probably doing sweet FA. Some schools have online classes which is a must imo. Instead some schools are leaving it to the parents to home teach which is just wrong on many levels . 

5 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I’ve came home from work to “We need another laptop” . We have one that our two eldest have to take turns sharing. No chance I’m I getting another one. Also the missus has literally been teaching the kids all day, whilst the teachers are sat at home getting full pay probably doing sweet FA. Some schools have online classes which is a must imo. Instead some schools are leaving it to the parents to home teach which is just wrong on many levels . 

I recommended against Chromebooks for student use until recently because they weren't great while schools were so focussed on Microsoft stuff and there would inevitably be some software, package or something which couldn't be used.

Now schools use either Office 365 with the rich web apps or Google suite, they're fine. They all work with Office online, Zoom, Teams, etc and they're good to not allow kids to mess them up.

Cheapest £229 which isn't too bad https://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/chromebook/device/hp-chromebook-14-g5-uk/ 

Chromebooks run on Chrome OS – an all-new operating system designed by Google for a new generation of computers. It’s browser based, cloud powered and boots up in seconds, which allows you to connect to the Internet almost instantly. And, thanks to Chrome OS, updates are managed automatically1 so Chromebooks actually become faster and more secure over time.

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

It seems like that, yet the actual list of categories from the Gov't hasn't changed  - people/companies are definitely gaming the system/trying it on, I think.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

frankly if it is even in the next 10 or 15 years I suspect it will be impossible to recreate the level of commitment to social distancing that occurred last spring.

Possibly - though I wonder if the opposite won't be true? Whether there won't be an impulse almost to do what we did last time. Of course you'll always get a minority who dissent, but I wonder if the majority with memory of the fungus won't, of their own accord, just adopt the cautious approach, even if it's not imposed from above.

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

Hmm, I couldn’t possibly fathom why that might be.......I mean, it’s not as if there have been a string of high profile political figures breaking the very rules they want us to obey.......

3 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

I'm annoyed they didn't think of a new name though.

Dance for our doctors

Rap for our respirators

Kneel for our nurses

Burp for Boris

I had a nurse kneel for me one new years out the back of the Gary Owen, she gave me a rusty trombone, first and last time ever, never even found out its correct 'name' until years later, memories eh 

• Haha 1

Teachers got lied to like the rest of us. For weeks after the government were warned to close schools, they insisted they'd be reopening as normal, and they informed the schools they needed to plan for normal lessons as well as testing students.

With a night's notice, they had to pivot and support remote learning as well as the in-person teaching of key workers' children. Teachers have been shafted more than any of us. To accuse them of doing sweet FA at the moment is as offensive as it is misinformed. 

This failure is entirely the government's, as usual, and fighting each other is just playing in to their hands of removing accountability from Downing Street for this colossal **** up.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

I had a nurse kneel for me one new years out the back of the Gary Owen, she gave me a rusty trombone, first and last time ever, never even found out its correct 'name' until years later, memories eh 

I’m a 1 timer for that too. I didn’t request it either, just happened.
No, it’s not for me thank you. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

No, no, no, no, no.

They are working harder than most, all day every day. 

My sister spent her entire Christmas holiday getting her school ready to administer vaccines, collecting food for vulnerable families and driving it to their houses. Other teachers are doing the same. They are still in school every day teaching hundreds of kids, and don't get any protection via the vaccine any time soon.

Now, especially now, is not the time to go after them. They are just as key as the healthcare workers who were, and will be getting clapped every week and heralded as heroes. Whereas teachers will lazily, insultingly be labelled as scroungers. Not on at all. 

Was more on about the school my kids were going too. It’s meant to be a high scoring school but their preparation is terrible . First time round I’d understand , but they have had months to organise for this . Teachers work hard I agree, and they do a fantastic job. Plenty are working their arses off, but to leave the teaching to the parents is wrong on many levels . There’s obviously some preparation still being done from home , but they are getting paid full pay for something they are not doing which they get the aid to do. Basically my argument is against schools that are not doing online teaching. 

16 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

whilst the teachers are sat at home getting full pay probably doing sweet FA.

I hate things like this. I genuinely struggle to see how anybody can have this viewpoint at the moment. Its not ideal that your wife now has to put some time into helping to teach the kids due to the current situation.

Now put yourself in the position of a teacher who is supposed to ensure that around 30 kids in a class are all able to learn in one way or another with next to no notice that schools were going to be closed. Teaching is a job which I couldn't do under normal circumstances. I dread to think how much stress and pressure some of these teachers are under at present and wouldn't be surprised to see a real surge of teachers leaving the profession as a result of the way this is.

I find it pretty shocking that someone could be trying to blame teachers at the current time. What I find worse is that I don't doubt that teachers are having to field difficult, agressive and stressful phone calls from parents equally as lacking in understanding of the current situation as you seem to be judging by the comment above. 

• Like 4

@Rugeley Villa I am not a teacher so I haven’t got skin in this game but I know teachers and staff at schools and trust me they aren’t doing that. They are teaching still, over teams or face to face kids for key workers. They aren’t having any time off at all.  

Edited by Seat68
  • Like 1

Â