Generic Virus Thread

villakram

I know some don't like Owen Jones but this is worth a watch. A record of everything the government has got wrong, even without the benefit of hindsight, to explain why this country has coped so poor with COVID-19

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Because there is not enough staff to run it. 

Oh I understand that entirely. I also reasonably confident that it's been gutted of equipment and wouldn't be suitable for actual treatment even if we had the staff. It's a glorified discharge lounge and/or hospice at best.

But they still keep trumpeting on about its readiness should we need it. If only they'd had 9 months to come up with some sort of strategy. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I'm annoyed they didn't think of a new name though.

Dance for our doctors

Rap for our respirators

Kneel for our nurses

Burp for Boris

I've been cursing the [checks swear filter] "Clots"

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

Chinese takeaway near me is still open, I was wondering if going to collect from there would consist of grocery shopping or daily exercise?

They're specifically called out as being allowed to open for takeaway, even if it's collection. Well, takeaways in general, not specifically the Chinese by your house :D 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

They're specifically called out as being allowed to open for takeaway, even if it's collection. Well, takeaways in general, not specifically the Chinese by your house :D 

Not too bad then.

This lockdown really is nothing like the first one and I struggle to see it having a big impact. Kids at home will have some impact but judging by the fact they have already been home for 2 weeks and we’re still breaking records daily I’m not sure it’s the silver bullet.

3 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Wonder why it was crucial when spring was turning into summer, but now that it's freezing outside it's not important anymore...

Would love to comment on this but as it’s a public forum I won’t and can’t 😡

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

Same at my school, gone from 20ish in first (warm) lockdown to around 80 this time... In the cold. Funny that.

We ask but actually we haven't asked anyone to prove it as it's already quite a tense relationship with parents. A lot more people consider themselves keyworkers now and some seem very very suspect. They also seem to use one parent, even when we know the other is at home.

What's even stranger is most of our parents are unemployed so nearly every one of the ones who do have jobs are keyworkers. Really?!

The other thing that always winds me up is 'vulnerable children' - slight tangent but not allowed to say this publically; if they are in such a vulnerable situation to NEED school despite the implied risks, why are they a) allowed home at all and b) abandoned over weekends, holidays etc. Not saying not vulnerable, just seems a mixed rule that can only mean we're being too cautious or abandoning them. I don't see what we provide them during a lockdown that they don't have a right to all the time anyway. Not free school meals as hundreds get that through vouchers. Don't know answer.

But yes, currently about 20% full.

Government won't be providing laptops to any kids without them so they'll be classed as 'vulnerable' and have to go into school.

So along with the businesses classing everyone as key workers now and the gov's refusal to supply laptops to kids, the schools aren't really closed after all

30 minutes ago, darrenm said:

So along with the businesses classing everyone as key workers now and the gov's refusal to supply laptops to kids, the schools aren't really closed after all

Bunter said earlier that they had provided a load and there were another 100,000 in the pipeline - seems a contradiction?

• He said that 50,000 laptops had been delivered to schools on Monday for disadvantaged pupils, and that more than 100,000 were being delivered in the first week of terms.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2021/jan/06/uk-covid-live-boris-johnson-parliament-vote-new-lockdown-latest-updates

Edit - it's not a contradiction - I guess if any still don't have them after that, they they can go in to schools.

58 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Government won't be providing laptops to any kids without them so they'll be classed as 'vulnerable' and have to go into school.

We have 420 children in school and had close to 200 requests for places. 

Every adult who isn't a teacher has to be in the building and we still have large number of children inside. If this new variant spread as easily as they say, I can't see the current situation having a huge impact. 

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Government really need to define what a key worker is.

It seems to be interpreted as anyone who has a job and is at least mildly inconvenienced by having their child at home.

I work in financial services (customer service call centre) and I’m classed as a key worker as we’ve been processing mortgage payment holidays since March. 

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Government really need to define what a key worker is.

It seems to be interpreted as anyone who has a job and is at least mildly inconvenienced by having their child at home.

Unfortunately they have not provided this guidance clearly at any stage, and as we discussed the other day, lots of firms are demanding that staff return to the office even if it isn't really essential, and lots of companies that closed voluntarily last spring without being forced to are not doing so again now.

That, in turn, has a huge impact on schools, which is going to significantly reduce the effectiveness of the 'lockdown'.

However, the government will not force the issue, and will, in traditional fashion, try to fudge it and muddle through.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Unfortunately they have not provided this guidance clearly at any stage, and as we discussed the other day, lots of firms are demanding that staff return to the office even if it isn't really essential, and lots of companies that closed voluntarily last spring without being forced to are not doing so again now.

That, in turn, has a huge impact on schools, which is going to significantly reduce the effectiveness of the 'lockdown'.

However, the government will not force the issue, and will, in traditional fashion, try to fudge it and muddle through.

Yep and then blame the people for not doing the right thing. 

• Like 2

Anyone on here that has gotten the vaccine?

My job is now officially requiring us too and we should get our supply from our local health department by today so I will be getting mine in the morning

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Loxstock92 said:

I work in financial services (customer service call centre) and I’m classed as a key worker as we’ve been processing mortgage payment holidays since March. 

My wife works for the council part time in the planning department, they’ve told her that she is a key worker and can use the school if needed (we haven’t, we’ll keep them home).

My neighbour works in marketing for a company who amongst many other products supply PPE, they are also told they are key workers even though it’s marketing.

I think initially key workers were broadly considered to be doctors, nurses, paramedics etc as well as garages and car parts suppliers). Now there’s hundreds of roles in that category. 

Edited by Genie

Â