Generic Virus Thread

villakram

24 minutes ago, Xela said:

Maybe i'm misunderstanding your quote, but we have had 3 general elections in  5 years so this country is hardly a dictatorship. If the people want a change then the tories will be voted out at the next election (which I think they will be as Starmer seems ok)

And each recent vote was totally dictated by and dominated by data manipulation populism and lies. More so than before (preemptive all politicians lie)

When countries went down the shitter previously, it wasn't instant. It took time and the eroding of normality, facts and intellectualism. 

They are lying to our faces, they know we know they're lying and they don't give a **** because they'll still win. 

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Xela said:

The UK isn't perfect by any means but it is still the envy of most of the world IMO. Thats why a lot of people from Europe and all over the world strive to be here and enjoy the opportunities this country brings for people. 

Interestingly that's another thing I've noticed in the last few years. This simply doesn't seem to be the case any more. Not in developed countries at least and I'm not sure people from war torn nations wanting to come here is that much to gloat about.

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

What you've described is horrible and i'm sorry you feel this way but you can't be naive enough to think other countries don't have their own problems as well? Anyway, probably drifting off topic!

Of course I don't. I was specifically answering the question "have things really got that bad in the UK?" with my experiences of the last few years.

It might not be a particularly admirable stance to take, but I also feel if I moved to another country I'd just worry about myself and get on with it. It's more difficult here as I know so many people with first hand experience of being **** over and I obviously have a much more in depth understanding of what has gone on.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

What were the Q&A mate? I didn't see it. 

Peston’s question was something like “you managed to stay at home when you and your wife had covid despite having 3 children, what’s the difference between you and Mr Cummings?”

And Hancock just said “Difference is I had childcare readily available in London and he didn’t. Next question”

(it’s a lie but it was funny to think Peston thought he’d really got him and he answered it with one sentence and then moved on)

not the first time he’s totally shut down Peston. But ironically when he does it’s the only time he actually answers questions. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Couldn’t disagree more but then we’ll never know will we, what we do know is we have a totally incompetent PM being driven by shady background characters, a PM who lies pretty much every time he opens his mouth.

But sure, Corbyn would be worse because the daily mail said so.

Agreed we wont know mate so there is no point us pursuing that area of the discussion! 😁

My only thing about your post is your last bit. Why because i dont think corbyn would be a good pm does that make me influened by the daily mail? I dont read that garbage 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

So staying in Europe would have been way worse for the economy as more people voted to leave?

This isnt about europe this is about how corbyn performed in the elections- his result was one of the worst ever for labour.

Not sure why corbyn was so loved on this site. He was a absolute disaster and i blame him severely for boris being pm as if labour had a half decent leader they would be in power now

• Like 1

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

I'm not  backing the tories, but I think if Corbyn got in it would have been alot worse.

I doubt it would have been much different. PPE shortages - no different, business relief - no different, lockdown the same, lockdown timing maybe better, maybe the same, maybe worse, care home protection - unlikely to have been any different, Nightingale’s the same, ventilators the same...Government unity, probably worse, part time PM - probably the same or worse - Corbyn was a part time oppo leader, after all. Media strategy. - probably equally but differently bad, etc. Labour’s front bench was largely woefully incompetent too, nearly all the capable ones were as exiled by Corbyn as Johnson has exiled any capable tories. Tendency to want to control things via a tight circle and favoured, unelected advisors - the same.

But regardless of all that, ultimately huge numbers of people considered him totally unfit to be PM, so it’s all completely irrelevant. Now Corbyn has gone, better more able front bench types, picked on talent, not loyalty to the 1970s throwback, have a chance to enable people to see a valid alternative to the fetid, rotten, lying, cheating scumbags we’ve ended up with.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

This isnt about europe this is about how corbyn performed in the elections- his result was one of the worst ever for labour.

Not sure why corbyn was so loved on this site. He was a absolute disaster and i blame him severely for boris being pm as if labour had a half decent leader they would be in power now

I know it has nothing to do with Europe. My point is the number of votes he got isn't evidence of anything apart from him being a poor campaigner and not politically savvy. It's a complete strawman.

Speaking for myself, I supported him throughout his time as leader as he was always the better alternative and I didn't think it was constructive to batter the man for every tiny thing while excusing the actual party in power as it's what we expect from them.

I definitely also got caught up in the siege mentality because of the amount of absolute bollocks being written about him. Also how much people were willing to excuse the government with pure selfish motives as they wore better suits.

Edited by Sam-AVFC
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

Now Corbyn has gone, better more able front bench types, picked on talent, not loyalty to the 1970s throwback, have a chance to enable people to see a valid alternative to the fetid, rotten, lying, cheating scumbags we’ve ended up with.

Be careful not to rewrite history. Don't forget he picked a lot of the sort of people you're talking about for shadow cabinets and they kept resigning or refused positions. You can definitely argue he didn't do enough to work with them other than giving them positions. There's plenty to go at him on without making stuff up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

Obviously there have been lots of incredulous summings up of the whole affair to pick from but I thought this one was really good. 

His nieces had offered themselves as tribute. :D

19 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Agreed we wont know mate so there is no point us pursuing that area of the discussion! 😁

My only thing about your post is your last bit. Why because i dont think corbyn would be a good pm does that make me influened by the daily mail? I dont read that garbage 

Replace daily mail with any media outlet, the mail is just an easy one to throw in there.

12 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Be careful not to rewrite history. Don't forget he picked a lot of the sort of people you're talking about for shadow cabinets and they kept resigning or refused positions. You can definitely argue he didn't do enough to work with them other than giving them positions. There's plenty to go at him on without making stuff up.

You’ve got a point, but it only goes only so far.  You’re right, there were a lot of resignations, which maybe tells us a few things. But you can’t deny that going into the election, which had he won he’d have kept the same people on, many of the cabinet were there because...Abbott, McDonnell, Long Bailey, that really really dim one -Burgeon?, Dawn Butler Ian Lavery, Barry Gardiner and so on - basically not much different in lack of ability to the Tory clowns.

Just now, blandy said:

You’ve got a point, but it only goes only so far.  You’re right, there were a lot of resignations, which maybe tells us a few things. But you can’t deny that going into the election, which had he won he’d have kept the same people on, many of the cabinet were there because...Abbott, McDonnell, Long Bailey, that really really dim one -Burgeon?, Dawn Butler and so on - basically not much different in lack of ability to the Tory clowns.

I have no doubt he'd have kept them on, but I think choices were pretty limited by that point once you cross out ones who have already refused to work with him, resigned or publicy called him an antisemite!

I can't remember at all what his  shadow cabinet looked like when he first became party leader apart from McDonnell and Abbot.

If I were The Media, unless there are new specific revelations to come out (and I'd be surprised,  even this bunch of morons won't be silly enough to leave themselves open to that) I think it needs a hard pivot away from the minutiae of the County Durham trips and back to the Government and how it is handling things. 

First question I'd be asking would be something along the lines of:

"Given Mr Cummings has stated that he has to make hundreds of decisions each day and has to judge which ones to check with the Prime Minister first, can the PM give some other examples of decisions taken by his unelected Special Advisor which he, the PM had not agreed to beforehand? 

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

If I were The Media, unless there are new specific revelations to come out (and I'd be surprised,  even this bunch of morons won't be silly enough to leave themselves open to that) I think it needs a hard pivot away from the minutiae of the County Durham trips and back to the Government and how it is handling things. 

First question I'd be asking would be something along the lines of:

"Given Mr Cummings has stated that he has to make hundreds of decisions each day and has to judge which ones to check with the Prime Minister first, can the PM give some other examples of decisions taken by his unelected Special Advisor which he, the PM had not agreed to beforehand? 

I half agree.

But if the media stops asking the questions about Cummings it lets them off the hook and people forget about it. It'll run and run.

I'm dying for some evidence of another trip or part of the trip he's admitted to not being true to come out

• Like 1

Â