Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Just now, foreveryoung said:

Getting tore to shreds by Hunt.

Not just Hunt. I was late to tune in but it seems that almost everyone is giving him a rough ride and he’s floundering with every response. 
I’d previously thought that all the Conservatives were entirely on-message but their willingness to stick it to him does give me a glimmer of hope. 

6 minutes ago, choffer said:

How can anybody watch this and not see a clueless idiot as our PM?

Anyone with even a cursory interest and an ounce of sense has been able to use the last twenty years of his career to see that. 

• Like 1

So from what he's saying on contact tracing, if you're contacted, you must stay at home self isolating for 14 days. If you don't and leave the house you may be sanctioned , e.g. fined

Is anybody going to ask the obvious - what happens in that situation if you have a young child and are worried about actually getting Ill and being incapacitated? Presumably you can leave isolation to get help with care without being fined?

Just now, ml1dch said:

Anyone with even a cursory interest and an ounce of sense has been able to use the last twenty years of his career to see that. 

I know. I guess I’m just reiterating my ongoing frustration that people who I’d previously credited with having that ounce are still unable to see it. 
None so blind as cannot see, and all that. 

• Like 1

Swedish model still the way to go according our government and they guys running the show.

The same people who a month or 2 ago where comparing our numbers to other countries and boasted about our results are now saying we must wait at least a year or 2 to compare and that you can't really compare between countries anyway. Wonder why.

Country with highest mortality rate in covid-19 per million inhabitants, seven-day average

May 27 Sweden

May 26 Sweden

May 25 UK

May 24 Great Britain

May 23 UK

May 22 Ecuador

May 21 UK

May 20 Sweden

May 19 Sweden

May 18 Sweden

May 17 Ecuador

May 16 Ecuador

May 15 Sweden

May 14 Sweden

5 hours ago, snowychap said:

... when you get your 'strong' leader they don't listen to other people, they plough on with what they have decided to do because this is what makes them 'strong' and they rarely correct course, at least in a transparent way accepting an error of judgement initially, as this would make them look weak.

This is straying in to wider political matters but it is also relevant to this virus response across the world.

What you seem to be describing (and there are plenty of examples) is NOT (to me) strong leadership. It's the exact opposite. You've described (in my view) an example of weak leadership. Trumpian leadership. For me strong leadership involves determining what the leader can do, where he or she needs assistance, where they can delegate, taking a close interest and involvement in the core issues, setting a framework for agile and effective decision making, monitoring outcomes and adapting or adjusting based on evidence... loads of stuff. Trying to look "strong" by shouting and "I'm in charge"-ing and refusing to explain or apologise and all that kind of stuff is anathema to strong and effective leadership.

But we all see things differently. Merkel and her virus response has been strong, but also consensual and strong enough to follow the evidence and so on. Ditto New Zealand. South Korea has a different model, but their leadership has worked well. The types of leader you describe are more self proclaimed "strong" leaders like Trump and Bolsonaro and so on, who do enormous damage with their deluded, needy, weak imitation of good strong leadership. Everywhere with these types of leaders has done terribly, pretty much. Russia, USA, Brazil, China etc.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, chips'ngravy said:

He's rolling around the ropes ....can't see through either eyes...looking for the trainer's towel

Probably best go for a drive then. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

In your opinion but everything that sounds like a conspiracy to you is dismissed as nonesense 😉

Nope, conspiracy theories that ARE nonsense are dismissed as nonsense.

This isn't even a conspiracy theory though. What you're saying makes no sense. It's not a conspiracy. It's nonsense.

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

How do you know that they dont listen to others? Just because they arr strong doesnt mean they wont listen to others. That is complete speculation 

Of course it's 'speculation' because you haven't actually explained what you, personally, mean by this strong leadership you're talking about.

In response, I've had to put forward a few things that generally characterize those who are viewed (by those that want them) as 'strong' leaders.

Give us a few examples of who you7 might mean and what traits you deem they have/require in order to make them 'strong' and then we might have a clue what you're on about.

Â