Generic Virus Thread

villakram

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Gove can't even be bothered to keep a straight face, it's like the worlds funniest joke but only the government elite are in on it.

How can we have evolved so much as a species and yet end up here, being governed by total and utter morons.

image.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I've just had a look on Facebook and worryingly the vast majority of people on my news feeds are supporting him. 

I say worryingly because I'm not sure what it says about me given that these are my "friends". 

4 minutes ago, av1 said:

I've just had a look on Facebook and worryingly the vast majority of people on my news feeds are supporting him. 

I say worryingly because I'm not sure what it says about me given that these are my "friends". 

At least you can see that they're out there. My FB feed is a real echo chamber - 95% of my friends (and friends of friends) share my views. Which can be very misleading. 

• Like 1

Yep. Genuinely saddened by them pretty much laughing at us and pushing every day to see what more they can get away with.

We are in a bad way here.

Actually had the first ever conversation in our house yesterday around the idea of is it too late to upsticks and go somewhere else. I think it is too late, but never even been a topic of conversation before. When we’ve had the ‘where would you live if you won millions’ conversation previously, it’s always been somewhere coastal around here and an apartment in a big city.

Yesterday the answers were Ireland, France, Austria, Malta, New Zealand, Iceland...

The pipe dream has changed.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Straggler said:

This is what worries me the most. I can see the lies and the hypocrisy, it is not hard to see as the government are not hiding it, I don't understand how so many people either are taken in by it or don't care. The thing is we have been down this road before and the people who won through, or despite their lies are at it again. It's worse than there being no consequence, it is actually being rewarded as these frauds hold all the positions of power.

I don't have any faith that there will be consequences this time either. Morals and truth are being surgically removed from society, whilst we merrily self lobotomize to get to a point we believe this crap.

This is the worry for me and Mike is right that most of us live in an echo chamber. Work, friends, twitter, VT seem to reflect my feelings so often that I struggle to conceive how others can't see it the way I see it. Every once in a while, I encounter someone who isn't on the same page and I'm intrigued how they drew their conclusions but I'm so often met by resistance to discuss it, I never learn anything. My sister, for example, clearly doesn't believe the same as me but every time I try to discuss it, all I get is that she disagrees with me and she's entitled to her opinion so I just have to accept it. I suspect this behaviour is prevalent on both sides of the political discourse but it's just seemingly impossible to have a reasoned debate these days. We have it in spades on VT as it seems 90% of VT'ers are relatively politically aligned (at least the ones who engage are) but we get the same response to every issue - whataboutery and defensive posturing. It seems that these days very few people are ever willing to accept that there is another valid point of view. I know I'm generalising here but having listened to the radio a bit this morning, we are now a nation divided more than ever and we will just continue to entrench into our perspectives and build up more resentment to those who aren't in our tribe. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, choffer said:

This is the worry for me and Mike is right that most of us live in an echo chamber. Work, friends, twitter, VT seem to reflect my feelings so often that I struggle to conceive how others can't see it the way I see it. Every once in a while, I encounter someone who isn't on the same page and I'm intrigued how they drew their conclusions but I'm so often met by resistance to discuss it, I never learn anything. My sister, for example, clearly doesn't believe the same as me but every time I try to discuss it, all I get is that she disagrees with me and she's entitled to her opinion so I just have to accept it. I suspect this behaviour is prevalent on both sides of the political discourse but it's just seemingly impossible to have a reasoned debate these days. We have it in spades on VT as it seems 90% of VT'ers are relatively politically aligned (at least the ones who engage are) but we get the same response to every issue - whataboutery and defensive posturing. It seems that these days very few people are ever willing to accept that there is another valid point of view. I know I'm generalising here but having listened to the radio a bit this morning, we are now a nation divided more than ever and we will just continue to entrench into our perspectives and build up more resentment to those who aren't in our tribe. 

I dunno. I usually agree but something about this story really pissed off the nation.

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

I dunno. I usually agree but something about this story really pissed off the nation.

I hope you're right and that something does change as a result.

Maybe I'm just having a particularly glum lockdown day today.

11 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Yep. Genuinely saddened by them pretty much laughing at us and pushing every day to see what more they can get away with.

We are in a bad way here.

Actually had the first ever conversation in our house yesterday around the idea of is it too late to upsticks and go somewhere else. I think it is too late, but never even been a topic of conversation before. When we’ve had the ‘where would you live if you won millions’ conversation previously, it’s always been somewhere coastal around here and an apartment in a big city.

Yesterday the answers were Ireland, France, Austria, Malta, New Zealand, Iceland...

The pipe dream has changed.

We had similar. If we didn't have close family near by i think we'd be off soon. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We had similar. If we didn't have close family near by i think we'd be off soon. 

Move to another country and before you know it you have another bunch of c**nts in charge of wherever you’ve moved too. It’s why I think you sometimes have to try and detach yourself from things out of your control.  It doesn’t mean you don’t have to care. Just try not to let it get you down. Things change. Tories won’t be running the country for ever. 

I know, I know. I deserve this government right?

Try and keep your chins up lads. Things can always be worse. 

The thing is, I’m not naive enough to think the grass is much greener in many other places.

Superficially Iceland and New Zealand look good but that’s with no in depth knowledge. But I can accept them having faults as I’m not invested in them. If I was to move to Turkey then I’d concentrate on the good aspects, the bad stuff I’d have to put up or shut up, not my country.

Here, it’s different. I can see what people have worked for and what we’ve been and what we could have been. Instead, we have a race to be little Trumpland. I can’t stomach it. We are being laughed at by a Westminster ruling elite. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Move to another country and before you know it you have another bunch of c**nts in charge of wherever you’ve moved too. It’s why I think you sometimes have to try and detach yourself from things out of your control.  It doesn’t mean you don’t have to care. Just try not to let it get you down. Things change. Tories won’t be running the country for ever. 

I know, I know. I deserve this government right?

Try and keep your chins up lads. Things can always be worse. 

I’m not criticising you for your views, but again if everyone just sat there and thought “we’ll there’s nothing I can do so why get upset?” Or “it could be bad somewhere else too so there’s no point in moving” then you end up with a government who can do whatever they want because nobody cares

• Like 3

Â