Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think that's a reasonable concern, because that's clearly what is animating the Steves Baker of the party. However, I think on balance destabilising the party is a risk I'm prepared to take.

We have another 4 years or more of this party at least its not something I want to risk. 

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

My life is amazing. My wife and I have decent paying jobs, we just bought a 4 bedroom house in a nice area, our kids will be attending an outstanding school in September and I have close family and friends all around me. I'm doing fine. But one of the things I hate about politics in this country is that mentality. I'm OK so **** people who aren't. 

The tories being in power won't make my life bad. Labour being in power would probably make little difference

Its just the tribalism, the racism, the shitting on the most vulnerable and the most in need of help. The consistent cuts to public services and the lying and manipulating around it. It upsets me to see where we seem to be heading as a country. Take this pandemic, it hasn't really affected me. My wife's parents had it but have come out fine. Me and my wife are still getting paid and I spend most days in a lovely garden with my children. But I'm still pissed and and embarrassed at the state in which this governement has handled things. 

This as well.

I'm comfortable myself and the party in power has little impact to me, but that makes me find it even more egregious when someone sneers at me for daring to be stupid enough to vote with empathy.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It’s sad to read how many people want to leave the country because of the government.  A real shame.

Personally I love this country and the opportunities it’s given me and my family since they migrated here.   I’m not going to let the current government ruin that. 

Have things really gotten that bad in the UK?

I'm not  backing the tories, but I think if Corbyn got in it would have been alot worse.

• Confused 3

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

I'm not  backing the tories, but I think if Corbyn got in it would have been alot worse.

Worse than the most deaths in Europe and losing more healthcare workers than any other country? 

I doubt it. I seriously doubt Corbyn would have been talking about shaking hands with people at the end of March. 

• Like 2

Just now, DCJonah said:

Worse than the most deaths in Europe and losing more healthcare workers than any other country? 

I doubt it. I seriously doubt Corbyn would have been talking about shaking hands with people at the end of March. 

He wouldn't have got it right. For one he would have had to self isolate from the start, so who would have been running the country??

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

See, this is interesting to me.

Why do you believe that? Is it it just because the general picture painted of him is one of incompetence? Is there something in his well publicised views that makes you think this?

I'm absolutely baffled by people chucking stuff like this out like we haven't dealt with this worse than all but probably 1/2 other countries.

I believe the decision to delay any lockdown etc was a political one (protect business), so why on earth would Corbyn have made the same decision rather than locking down earlier? And if he did lockdown earlier how on earth could it conceivably be worse?

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

He wouldn't have got it right. For one he would have had to self isolate from the start, so who would have been running the country??

He could have left his cat in charge and I'd wager it would have done a better job than Johnson

• Like 1

Anyone who imagines his defence of Cummings is born of loyalty is unfamiliar with the concept “Boris Johnson”. This is actually a simple story: man with no ideas is too terrified to sack his ideas man. Or to put it in the complex intellectual terms it deserves, some street heckler once shouted at David Hasselhoff: “Oi! Hasselhoff! You’re nothing without your talking car!” Cummings is the talking car to Johnson’s Hasselhoff.

The whole article is pretty great 😁

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/may/26/dominic-cummings-boris-johnson-terrified-sack-him?CMP=fb_cif&__twitter_impression=true&fbclid=IwAR3JYT2Idh9keEhaanD4ngiiyBlP2CxwRnJBSftTncDkmHYGspccM8LXwt8

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

He could have left his cat in charge and I'd wager it would have done a better job than Johnson

Errr, ok?

As I said i'm not backing Johnson, all i'm saying is Corbyn would have been a none starter.

7 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

so who would have been running the country??

Someone actually elected to run it which would, at least, be an improvement on the incumbent situation.

16 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Why would he not be able to run the country while self isolating? 

I just don't see how it could actually be much worse. 

What's lockdown looking like where people are? I only left the house today for a half an hour run, but the queues outside shops were busier than ever, the traffic looks close to normal, and there have been groups of kids playing football and hanging out in the park all day.

Normality is restoring, regardless of the law.

Just now, Davkaus said:

What's lockdown looking like where people are? I only left the house today for a half an hour run, but the queues outside shops were busier than ever, the traffic looks close to normal, and there have been groups of kids playing football and hanging out in the park all day.

Normality is restoring, regardless of the law.

Had to go to KwikFit today as I've a slow puncture and I need to get to a funeral on Friday. I was stunned at how many people were out and about, as if nothing was going on. The car needs new shoes so I had to book it in for the fitting - Friday morning was the first they could manage. Seems the whole of Richmond was out and about, very little in the way of masks and even less social distancing. 

It did make me wonder if I was victim to some Truman Show type ruse where I'd been isolating myself for months while everyone else was out living their best lives.

3 minutes ago, choffer said:

Had to go to KwikFit today as I've a slow puncture and I need to get to a funeral on Friday. I was stunned at how many people were out and about, as if nothing was going on. The car needs new shoes so I had to book it in for the fitting - Friday morning was the first they could manage. Seems the whole of Richmond was out and about, very little in the way of masks and even less social distancing. 

It did make me wonder if I was victim to some Truman Show type ruse where I'd been isolating myself for months while everyone else was out living their best lives.

But it’s allowed now, so why would people who have been stuck at home for 2+ months continue to be stuck at home now they’re not being told to do so? 

I don’t think many people are particularly bothered about actually catching the virus, the only real concern remaining is the prospect that you might catch it and pass it on to someone else who might die (guilt).

I popped out and the roads were busy which I admit took me back a little at first but then you realise it’s just normality, we’ve been conditioned to think of the most normal things as being heinous in nature over recent months, it’ll take a while for people’s brains to recalibrate again I guess.

40 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

See, this is interesting to me.

Why do you believe that? Is it it just because the general picture painted of him is one of incompetence? Is there something in his well publicised views that makes you think this?

I'm absolutely baffled by people chucking stuff like this out like we haven't dealt with this worse than all but probably 1/2 other countries.

I believe the decision to delay any lockdown etc was a political one (protect business), so why on earth would Corbyn have made the same decision rather than locking down earlier? And if he did lockdown earlier how on earth could it conceivably be worse?

Well considering he humiliated labour in one of the worat showings in laboura history i think that speaks volumes.  And that was a against a clown in boris.

• Like 1

Â