Generic Virus Thread

villakram

43 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

He wouldn't have got it right. For one he would have had to self isolate from the start, so who would have been running the country??

I agree with you. Corbyn is the only person who person who would be worse than boris

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I agree with you. Corbyn is the only person who person who would be worse than boris

Couldn’t disagree more but then we’ll never know will we, what we do know is we have a totally incompetent PM being driven by shady background characters, a PM who lies pretty much every time he opens his mouth.

But sure, Corbyn would be worse because the daily mail said so.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Well considering he humiliated labour in one of the worat showings in laboura history i think that speaks volumes.  And that was a against a clown in boris.

So staying in Europe would have been way worse for the economy as more people voted to leave?

A lot of the problem in our response have been down to deep-lying systemic issues, including inadequate funding of the health care service, as well as a number of poorly-conceived organisational reforms (for which Labour under Blair were just as guilty), a decades-long whittling down of our manufacturing industry, poor operational standards in care homes (especially private ones) and a lack of sick pay for workers in many of those homes, and an increasing casualness and ineptitude around contingency planning.

I don't think a Corbyn government would or could have solved all or even many of these problems in just three months, so the response probably wouldn't have been perfect or anything close to it. What they would have done, though, is take the scientific advice more seriously, and been less disposed to bluffing and assumptions of British exceptionalism, and just that difference would have led to significantly better outcomes.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

What's lockdown looking like where people are? I only left the house today for a half an hour run, but the queues outside shops were busier than ever, the traffic looks close to normal, and there have been groups of kids playing football and hanging out in the park all day.

Normality is restoring, regardless of the law.

EYfxuj9WsAA2oyg?format=jpg&name=small

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Errr, ok?

As I said i'm not backing Johnson, all i'm saying is Corbyn would have been a none starter.

But based on what?

Because you've been told that Corbyn is incompetent?

I'm no massive fan of Corbyn and I'm glad he's no longer leading the opposition. But it's hard to imagine how he could have done any worse than us. By all accounts we've handled this about as badly as anyone else in the world. Apart from maybe USA, Belarus and Brazil

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, choffer said:

Had to go to KwikFit today as I've a slow puncture and I need to get to a funeral on Friday. I was stunned at how many people were out and about, as if nothing was going on. The car needs new shoes so I had to book it in for the fitting - Friday morning was the first they could manage. Seems the whole of Richmond was out and about, very little in the way of masks and even less social distancing. 

It did make me wonder if I was victim to some Truman Show type ruse where I'd been isolating myself for months while everyone else was out living their best lives.

You're allowed to be out and about now. They should be abiding  by social distancing, but it's no surprise peolpe are out and about when the government have told them they can be.

And not to overstate it, but I imagine the weekend's events have given a large part of the country a mind to just say "**** the rules" and do what they want.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ml1dch said:

Shocking, there's no way that seagull is 2m away from you.

I had my lunch wandering around the garden, it was like a scene from a Hitchcock movie!

As soon as I went out there with a plate and a cavalier attitude to crumbs, all the seagulls took off from local roofs and started circling the garden.

Threw some chicken skin to a magpie last week, **** me! Won’t be doing that again, the poor bugger took a right kicking from a bunch of seagulls.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

He could have left his cat in charge and I'd wager it would have done a better job than Johnson

Well, I'll take any excuse to post pictures of cats... 

Jeremy Corbyn's cat:

CjDPaLvXEAEWBeM?format=jpg&name=small

Or the Chief Mouser:

Larry_Chief_Mouser.jpg

To be fair, I would probably prefer either of them to be in charge instead of Johnson or Corbyn...

• Like 2

One of the things I'm finding particularly amusing is the way the Tories and their supporters are suddenly fulminating about criticism from their former stormtroopers in the press. 

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

I had my lunch wandering around the garden, it was like a scene from a Hitchcock movie!

As soon as I went out there with a plate and a cavalier attitude to crumbs, all the seagulls took off from local roofs and started circling the garden.

Threw some chicken skin to a magpie last week, **** me! Won’t be doing that again, the poor bugger took a right kicking from a bunch of seagulls.

We walked down to the canal last weekend to feed the ducks, never known anything like it. None of the ducks were interested. I’m guessing everyone is having the same idea and they are being very well fed.

• Like 1

Just now, DCJonah said:

Its just sad, that at this point in the pandemic we've still got our major leaders dodging and refusing to give straight answers. 

Sadly I think that’s just modern day politics - the answer to a question apparently isn’t important. 

13 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Obviously there have been lots of incredulous summings up of the whole affair to pick from but I thought this one was really good. 

That's brilliant. 

3 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

Yep. Sleepwalking into dictatorship.

What initially is 'it's only politics' has a government rounding up people of a certain type and the population not giving a ****. 

Maybe i'm misunderstanding your quote, but we have had 3 general elections in  5 years so this country is hardly a dictatorship. If the people want a change then the tories will be voted out at the next election (which I think they will be as Starmer seems ok)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I've seriously considered leaving. The only thing that has stopped me is the guilt of leaving behind family members in care homes etc (although I might not have to worry about that much longer). I also don't think I'd ever bother coming back if I left.

Maybe it's just my experience, but I have seen some shocking stuff over the last 5 years that I'd never run into before including, but not limited to:

• an enormous increase in homelessness and food bank usage.
  • a group of skinheads chasing an Asian man through the streets of London shouting they're going to kill him. In the **** City (shiny tall bit) of all places.
  • countless people being shouted at to 'go home' in public.
  • a clumsy, yet peaceful political leader being cast as the 2nd coming of Hitler while we laugh off the anti-semitism, homophobia, racism and misogyny of our current PM and his cronies.
  • the fact our version of 'taking back control' from unelected bureaucrats is shaping up to be the most damaging economic exit possible...led by an unelected bureaucrat with complete disdain for anyone and anything else.
  • constant gaslighting by ministers. At least politicians had the decency to try and avoid a question in the past.
  • the fact this sort of shite still seems to be escalating.
  • Edit - I missed a big one for me; a trend towards anti-intellectualism.

Perhaps I was just too young before to realise what was going on, but to me it certainly feels like things have changed. 

The UK isn't perfect by any means but it is still the envy of most of the world IMO. Thats why a lot of people from Europe and all over the world strive to be here and enjoy the opportunities this country brings for people. 

What you've described is horrible and i'm sorry you feel this way but you can't be naive enough to think other countries don't have their own problems as well? Anyway, probably drifting off topic!

We are having a particularly shit time at the minute but the good times will return in the future, they always do. :) 

• Like 1

Â