Generic Virus Thread

villakram

That fat buffoon is now bricking it because his next door neighbour is probably letting him know the vault is empty and we need to get more money in.

That's the reason he wants to send the youngest kids back to school first. You know, the ones who are too young to look after themselves. The ones that don't really understand what's going on. The ones who will find it harder to sit still and maintain social distancing because they're an excitable bunch who like to hug and play tig and tag and chase each other around playgrounds. The ones keeping parents at home instead of at work boosting the economy.

Meanwhile, sat at home are the older kids, the ones who can understand what's going on. The ones who can look after themselves. The ones who will socially distance themselves and remember to wash regularly and hand-sanitise. The ones that have come to the time of exams and want to take them so they can plan their futures whether that be in further education or the job market. 

Germany sent their older kids back first and met with anger from them. The little ones won't have that power of speech to defend themselves. 

Since when did that big sack of shit qualify to make my 6 year old son a Guinea pig in his experiment? 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

That fat buffoon is now bricking it because his next door neighbour is probably letting him know the vault is empty and we need to get more money in.

That's the reason he wants to send the youngest kids back to school first. You know, the ones who are too young to look after themselves. The ones that don't really understand what's going on. The ones who will find it harder to sit still and maintain social distancing because they're an excitable bunch who like to hug and play tig and tag and chase each other around playgrounds. The ones keeping parents at home instead of at work boosting the economy.

Meanwhile, sat at home are the older kids, the ones who can understand what's going on. The ones who can look after themselves. The ones who will socially distance themselves and remember to wash regularly and hand-sanitise. The ones that have come to the time of exams and want to take them so they can plan their futures whether that be in further education or the job market. 

Germany sent their older kids back first and met with anger from them. The little ones won't have that power of speech to defend themselves. 

Since when did that big sack of shit qualify to make my 6 year old son a Guinea pig in his experiment? 

I’m not defending Johnson, far from it. But as a guess I’d imagine that it’s the younger kids going back to school first as they are harder to look after. With them at school more people could go to work. 

As for the last paragraph, they have to go back to school sometime

36 minutes ago, bickster said:

He must have fallen asleep early, even a Johnson said people should continue to work from home... 

Not really and especially not for those who cannot work from home who should be encouraged to go to work.

His words were:

We said that you should work from home if you can, and only go to work if you must. We now need to stress that anyone who can’t work from home, for instance those in construction or manufacturing, should be actively encouraged to go to work.

Beeb:

French passengers will be exempt from quarantine measures that will come into force in the UK amid the pandemic.

Boris Johnson said on Sunday the measures would be imposed on people arriving in the UK, to prevent Covid-19 being brought in from overseas.

Mr Johnson said he was "serving notice" that quarantine measures were coming.

Following his speech, No 10 confirmed a reciprocal deal with the government in Paris meant restrictions would not apply to passengers from France.

...more

2 minutes ago, Straggler said:

So I can spend all day with my manager, but can't see friends and family. Yep makes sense.

So many people must feel like this right now. 

I wonder if this virus really leads to a major political change in this country. Will more and more people really start to feel that their health and family life doesn't mean shit as long as they continue to work and make others wealthy. 

This really should be the end of the Tory party for decades to come. Its become clear that human lives mean very little to this party. 

49 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Beeb:

Too many of the great and the good need access to their summer homes in France, I can’t think of any other logical explanation. 

That briefing last night was absolute cake and arse. Given the time they’ve had to prepare for this the lack of clarity is unforgivable. 

UK is still running 16,000 new infections per day and the R rate in some places is still 0.9. Scientists are saying we now that down to 4,000 per day to give us any chance of controlling community spread by track and trace.  

Germany started easing off restrictions what, 7-10 days ago? The R there is already up to 1.1. From a lower base than us. We don’t have the head room yet to ease up on the current measures at all without tipping back into exponential growth in very short order. 

I think we’re now reaching the crunch point in that the Treasury can’t afford to keep bank-rolling the workforce and businesses will start to fail on mass if they can’t begin trading soon. 

On the flip-side, as soon as people start going back to work the virus will take off again. 

The lockdown has bought some time but hasn’t solved the central problem: either the country will grow broke (with all the implications for services across the board) or we accept a much higher number of deaths. 

Looks to me like we’re leaning towards the latter. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

So much confusion. I said to my other half last night. It's 8pm on a Sunday night and if one of us wasn't able to work from home we'd be sat there not knowing if we should be in the office tomorrow morning.

We're lucky that even if we were in that situation we have bosses who we could call immediately. But a lot of people don't have that. There must be so many people this morning going to work who don't need to or sat at home worries that they should be at work but aren't.

I didn't expect Boris to set out details for absolutely everything last night. But I also didn't expect him to be so vague on that extremely important part

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rodders said:

I do like how they set out a 5 stage Alert system - of their own construction and on day one of revealing it, decided they were in between two of them :crylaugh:

It’s worse, basically they said they don’t know which stage we’re currently in. Apart from it’s not 5 or 1.

parents fretting about kids going back to school in June really shouldn’t worry. There’s no way the R rate is going to come down. 

Edited by Genie

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

French passengers will be exempt from quarantine

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

restrictions would not apply to passengers from France.

Is it just me or are these not the same thing?

I think that yesterday we clearly had the government trying to push us towards the topic that has come up on here a few times.

Yes, people are still dying, but largely not the productive ones, so we need to take it on the chin and get back to earning money.

They’ve clearly decided we can run at something like the current number of deaths, maybe just a little higher.

I’d expected that, I think we all knew it was coming. I hadn’t expected it quite so soon, or delivered in such a confused manner. A truly serious straight talking delivery to camera of an existential crisis for our economy would have been far more honest.

Mind blowing that they had days of prep and it was pre recorded. Sadly, they are just not up to the job.

• Like 1

To play devils advocate. Someone into your house to do some work over welcoming in a relative. You are likely to be closer for a longer period of time with a relative therefore increasing the chance of infection. 
I will be getting a plasterer in this week and I am more comfortable with that than my daughter and grandson coming over. 

Â