Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Just now, Genie said:

I agree the rules are messy, but what I think they are trying to avoid is huge family gatherings in public parks (but going about it the wrong way). 

I think you're right, when you have family and friends together there's going to be a temptation to ignore the distancing rules.

It just seems absolutely mad that you can go to the park and sit down, have a picnic, and the 2 metre rule is apparently fine, just so long as you don't know the people you're near. 

People won't follow rules that appear arbitrary and unjustifiable.

6 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

I think this too

Some think they can do no right, others think they can do no wrong. The vast majority (imo) aren’t interested in partisan bickering but want reassurance there’s a clear plan being competently executed.

That’s not the case right now. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Rodders said:

https://www.politico.eu/newsletter/london-playbook/politico-london-playbook-unlocking-down-you-lead-i-furlough-daves-chicken-run/

One of many analyses of the speech floating about n the web.Useful stuff in it, this did catch the eye a bit. There are some mitigating circumstances, but along with all the missing all of the Cobra meetings including to sort out his divorce ffs, the guy really is a bit useless. 

The questions from the public is an interesting ruse. It's their attempt at looking like they're taking questions, while selecting specific, pre-recorded, easy questions that they can answer. That is no substitute for allowing live questions from the media.

This government and prime minister attempt to avoid scrutiny at every opportunity. Cowardice is not a good look in a leader. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Rodders said:

https://www.politico.eu/newsletter/london-playbook/politico-london-playbook-unlocking-down-you-lead-i-furlough-daves-chicken-run/

One of many analyses of the speech floating about n the web.Useful stuff in it, this did catch the eye a bit. There are some mitigating circumstances, but along with all the missing all of the Cobra meetings including to sort out his divorce ffs, the guy really is a bit useless. 

It's been obvious for a long time, even before he was PM, that either Johnson himself, or the people advising him, are terrified of scrutiny. This just confirms it

I had it in my head that Johnson specifically referred to "tomorrow" when talking about going back to work. Having looked at the transcript it doesn't appear that he did.

He did say "now" though and I think the implication was clear that it was immediate. He certainly didn't say from Wednesday.

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I had it in my head that Johnson specifically referred to "tomorrow" when talking about going back to work. Having looked at the transcript it doesn't appear that he did.

He did say "now" though and I think the implication was clear that it was immediate. He certainly didn't say from Wednesday.

That's the whole point of the speech, gives the impression of immediacy without technically saying it. Disingenuous pricks.

• Like 1

Just now, Genie said:

I’m sure he said Wednesday because my wife and I discussed why it would be Wednesday (I assumed it was going to take a couple of days to make changes to the law). 

He didn't. He said Wednesday when talking about exercise and meeting people in parks.

He said "We are now encouraging people to go back to work..." when talking about work. He didn't specify a day

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

companies appear not to have been given much time at all to work out how to protect their workforces from infection at the same time as maintaining eg fire safety standards

This isn't true for some companies. I know the one I work for has been consulting with the Gov't for weeks about requirements for working. Now it's almost certainly an exception, but it has a detailed comprehensive range of precautions, measures, regimes for cleaning, shift working and office spacing and arrangements. Also agreed and consulted with the Unions.

So from this I take it that there are areas of expertise or advice on what and how to order things for offices, manufacturing and repair lines, servicing facilities, test labs...etc.

So what you'd hope and expect is that this information be made available to ALL companies - Gov't and some co.s drew it up and the Gov't should share it openly. And then, as you say, those given the info need time to implement that regime. Our place is massive and has a lot of resources and a head start because it's classified under Key Workers and has had to keep going all through this, and obviously many businesses are in a completely different situation. My comment is that the knowledge and so on is there and has been used on how to protect workforces etc. it's already worked out, and needs sharing. Co.s should not have to work it out, at most it should require tailoring to particular settings.

The difficulty will come with actually setting up things like enhanced cleaning routines, marking safe distances, setting shift pattern, setting up physical barriers and sinage, and paying for all that.

Edited by blandy
typo
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He didn't. He said Wednesday when talking about exercise and meeting people in parks.

He said "We are now encouraging people to go back to work..." when talking about work. He didn't specify a day

Actually true, and has been said many times, it just wasn't clear. He talked about getting back to work then a few seconds later things changing from Wednesday.

Transcript from GOV website

And the first step is a change of emphasis that we hope that people will act on this week.

We said that you should work from home if you can, and only go to work if you must.

We now need to stress that anyone who can’t work from home, for instance those in construction or manufacturing, should be actively encouraged to go to work.

And we want it to be safe for you to get to work. So you should avoid public transport if at all possible – because we must and will maintain social distancing, and capacity will therefore be limited.

So work from home if you can, but you should go to work if you can’t work from home.

And to ensure you are safe at work we have been working to establish new guidance for employers to make workplaces COVID-secure.

And when you do go to work, if possible do so by car or even better by walking or bicycle. But just as with workplaces, public transport operators will also be following COVID-secure standards.

And from this Wednesday, we want to encourage people to take more and even unlimited amounts of outdoor exercise.

You can sit in the sun in your local park, you can drive to other destinations, you can even play sports but only with members of your own household.

I took it to mean Wednesday all things will change (as I thought they'd have 2 days to sort out the admin) but far from clear

17 minutes ago, blandy said:

This isn't true for some companies. I know the one I work for has been consulting with the Gov't for weeks about requirements for working. Now it's almost certainly an exception, but it has a detailed comprehensive range of precautions, measures, regimes for cleaning, shift working and office spacing and arrangements. Also agreed and consulted with the Unions.

So from this I take it that there are areas of expertise or advice on what and how to order things for offices, manufacturing and repair lines, servicing facilities, test labs...etc.

So what you'd hope and expect is that this information be made available to ALL companies - Gov't and some co.s drew it up and the Gov't should share it openly. And then, as you say, those given the info need time to implement that regime. Our place is massive and has a lot of resources and a head start because it's classified under Key Workers and has had to keep going all through this, and obviously many businesses are in a completely different situation. My comment is that the knowledge and so on is there and has been used on how to protect workforces etc. it's already worked out, and needs sharing. Co.s should not have to work it out, at most it should require tailoring to particular settings.

The difficulty will come with actually setting up things like enhanced cleaning routines, marking safe distances, setting shift pattern, setting up physical barriers and sinage, and paying for all that.

Thanks, yes, that's the point I was trying to make (not worded very well perhaps). As I said, this is (mostly) not impossible to achieve from a technical standpoint, but for many companies it will take time and money to implement. I understand some companies that are more strategically important and/or just larger may well have been guided on parts of this process already.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

So many people must feel like this right now. 

I wonder if this virus really leads to a major political change in this country. Will more and more people really start to feel that their health and family life doesn't mean shit as long as they continue to work and make others wealthy. 

This really should be the end of the Tory party for decades to come. Its become clear that human lives mean very little to this party. 

I fear most people can't think much past their own wallets. Look at the ex malaysian pm complicit in the 1MDB scandal. Still hugely popular with many of the poorest in their society because of the money in their pockets before elections, despite an over $10billion fraud that will keep the whole country in debt, and those poor people poor as hell, for years to come. We are so easily bought off or distracted. 

40 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I fear most people can't think much past their own wallets. Look at the ex malaysian pm complicit in the 1MDB scandal. Still hugely popular with many of the poorest in their society because of the money in their pockets before elections, despite an over $10billion fraud that will keep the whole country in debt, and those poor people poor as hell, for years to come. We are so easily bought off or distracted.

Did you watch the episode of 'Dirty Money' on Netflix about that scandal? An absolutely wild situation, and a terrible crime.

Â