Generic Virus Thread

villakram

6 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Is it just me or are these not the same thing?

Well, I suppose one could argue that French passengers could be passengers with French nationality arriving from anywhere and passengers from France are those of any nationality who are coming from France (so anyone coming through the Channel Tunnel)..

I guess we'll get 'clarity' later. :)

1 minute ago, snowychap said:

Well, I suppose one could argue that French passengers could be passengers with French nationality arriving from anywhere and passengers from France are those of any nationality who are coming from France (so anyone coming through the Channel Tunnel)..

I guess we'll get 'clarity' later. :)

Exactly, I know its just the beebs words though. I couldn't imagine poorly worded government statements or anything. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

Boris took himself into a quiet room for best part of a week to get this right, and still made a right mess of it.

I imagine he was more concerned with the rousing, rallying cry parts of it rather than the details. They're not important.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I imagine he was more concerned with the rousing, rallying cry parts of it rather than the details. They're not important.

I didn’t expect all the details, I did expect it to be coherent. By next weekend expect polling to show  they’ve just lost the benefit of the doubt with millions of people...

...then Hancock will go under the bus. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Awol said:

I didn’t expect all the details, I did expect it to be coherent. By next weekend expect polling to show  they’ve just lost the benefit of the doubt with millions of people...

...then Hancock will go under the bus. 

Yep like I said earlier, I wasn't expecting Boris to detail everything. That would be ridiculous.

But I would expect clarity on  the major points.

The PM should be easing confusion, not causing it.

• Like 1

Judging by Twitter this morning, the response from Tories (both MPs and supporters) seems to be "use your common sense" and "He said Wednesday", even though he quite clearly did not.

23 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

To play devils advocate. Someone into your house to do some work over welcoming in a relative. You are likely to be closer for a longer period of time with a relative therefore increasing the chance of infection. 
I will be getting a plasterer in this week and I am more comfortable with that than my daughter and grandson coming over. 

We have an elderly relative that’s been self isolating and my wife has been doing the weekly shop for her.

But it’s not possible to do the distancing thing and leave a bag of shopping on the doorstep. Arthritic hands mean that the shopping couldn’t be picked up. So my wife goes in to the house and puts the shopping away, breaks open multipacks and strips of any excess packaging, takes the seal off the top of milk etc..

By the letter of the guidance, she should not then hang around for a further 20 minutes of chat. But she does. Sat on the stairs, once a week.

For most people, there are some sensible ways around the problems with relatives, hygene, mental health.

For others, all they hear is BBQ and Beer. 

I’ll be seeing my mum long before I go and sit in an office or get the double glazing guy around.

• Like 2

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Judging by Twitter this morning, the response from Tories (both MPs and supporters) seems to be "use your common sense" and "He said Wednesday", even though he quite clearly did not.

This is the new world we live in. Just deny and lie and cover your arse until people move on to the next thing. 

Trump has proven to every word removed politician in the world that this is effective  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

it's a bit conspiracy-y but there's truth there.

Changing the colour, and making the message ambiguous can't be for nothing.

I don't know about the colour stuff, but I think we've all known once the info started getting leaked last week what this really was.

Get everyone outside and back to work whilst being very careful not to actually tell people to do that so you can't get blamed for any consequences.

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

They should start with using their common sense, we appear to be rudderless and heading towards a iceberg of huge proportions. We cant even test nhs workers let alone the general public and ppe is not available for the general population .

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't know about the colour stuff, but I think we've all known once the info started getting leaked last week what this really was.

Get everyone outside and back to work whilst being very careful not to actually tell people to do that so you can't get blamed for any consequences.

I agree. 

Coronavirus: Use common sense to see loved ones outdoors – Dominic Raab

BBC

Use "common sense" followed by "its a shame people haven't followed the rules when it goes sour.

They should say do a "bit" of mingling but not too much. You can see family, "now and then" and parties and gatherings are ok as long as there's not "too many" people present

Edited by Genie

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

I agree. 

BBC

Use "common sense" followed by "its a shame people haven't followed the rules when it goes sour

This is a good point, and connects to something I'm very frustrated by, which is that I expect that any increase in infections is going to be put at the door of 'irresponsible members of the public' (in parks, or visiting family) rather than where it is more likely to come from, which is workplaces that have been suddenly reopened, without enough thought given to how to ventilate them successfully to reduce the risk of infection.

Many of the businesses that the government want reopened are in manufacturing and construction, which are two sectors with already voluminous health and safety requirements, to which is going to be added concerns about effective social distancing. But companies appear not to have been given much time at all to work out how to protect their workforces from infection at the same time as maintaining eg fire safety standards. I really don't see why this couldn't have been announced in the middle of last week to give companies at least a week to work on this.

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

This is the new world we live in. Just deny and lie and cover your arse until people move on to the next thing. 

Trump has proven to every word removed politician in the world that this is effective  

I'm beginning to think that mechanisms of administration need altered to offset the current fashion of bullshit governance.

Hancock, unable to avoid the spotlight, lies through his teeth.

Bet he wishes he could disappear after gaffes and misdemeanors, like that piece of shit Rees-Mogg.

Â