Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 minute ago, limpid said:

What ratio of health workers have been tested compared to general population? The numbers are meaningless without knowing that. I'm actually surprised it's as low as 10% considering working conditions.

You'll have visit their sire to find out, my Italian is not great.

Their stats are on here:

Sorveglianza Integrata COVID-19 in Italia

https://www.epicentro.iss.it/coronavirus//bollettino/Infografica_7aprile ITA.pdf

14 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I can’t believe how much one tweet over people buying non essential items has got so much media attention. Also how they now have to back track.  Another example of how the  police demand zero respect or authority in my opinion. 

You seem to be the only person who has a problem with the police not automatically getting respect.

When people do stupid, inappropriate, or unjustified things, they should be called out on it, regardless of their job.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, sne said:

You'll have visit their sire to find out, my Italian is not great.

Their stats are on here:

https://www.epicentro.iss.it/coronavirus//bollettino/Infografica_7aprile ITA.pdf

There is nothing there about the number or strategy of testing. Health workers will be tested at a higher rate than the general population.

7 minutes ago, limpid said:

There is nothing there about the number or strategy of testing. Health workers will be tested at a higher rate than the general population.

Then i guess the information you seek is not available.

Edit: Fwiw Italy has tested about 853.000 people according to the stats on worldometers.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I can’t believe how much one tweet over people buying non essential items has got so much media attention. Also how they now have to back track.  Another example of how the  police demand zero respect or authority in my opinion. 

It’s yet another example of them trying to over reach their powers. As already said by half a dozen posters, some police are little shits that will seize on any opportunity to be more powerful in a hundred petty ridiculous ways.

They were called out on what the law was. The actual law. They’ve sensibly back tracked to a position where they accept they cannot make up the law themselves depending on whether they feel like flexing today.

The alternative, is that any thick thug that fancies a fight and bullying someone can join ‘the force’. Like the good old days.

Stick to the law. Have a system where the law is known and enforced. Fairly and equally and without slacking and without time off for good behaviour.

You earn respect. You don’t get it by closing the biscuit aisle.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, snowychap said:

The police were wrong. They needed to backtrack because they were wrong.

You would have 'respect' for people who, when it is pointed out that they were wrong, simply ploughed on regardless?

My point is the fact they have to resort to posting stupid tweets shows what a joke they are.  This is how much power they have.

Tweeting sarcastic posts about peoples social distancing and then having to quickly backtrack about it is as far as they can go before the media are all over them and people are complaining. 

17 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

You seem to be the only person who has a problem with the police not automatically getting respect.

When people do stupid, inappropriate, or unjustified things, they should be called out on it, regardless of their job.

You mean the only person on this thread?

You’re all very like minded. Surely someone with a difference of opinion is a good thing whether you all agree with it or not? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

My point is the fact they have to resort to posting stupid tweets shows what a joke they are.  This is how much power they have.

They have powers to enforce the law. They can fine and arrest people for not following the law. They're only powerless to do anything other than post tedious nonsense on Twitter before backpedaling when it comes to imaginary offences they're attempting to enforce which have no legal backing.

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

They have powers to enforce the law. They can fine and arrest people for not following the law. They're only powerless to do anything other than post tedious nonsense on Twitter before backpedaling when it comes to imaginary offences they're attempting to enforce which have no legal backing.

Didn’t they get massively criticised for doing this?

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Didn’t they get massively criticised for doing this?

Not as far as I'm aware, but I may have missed it!

I'm one of the biggest critics on here of the behaviour over the last few weeks, but that's entirely around them overreaching. when it comes to arresting and fining people breaking the law, that's their job and if there's any criticism over that, it's a bit silly - in that case people should be criticising Parliament if they disagree with the law, not the police who are only enforcing it. 

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You mean the only person on this thread?

You’re all very like minded. Surely someone with a difference of opinion is a good thing whether you all agree with it or not? 

Agreed. IMHO you’re getting a hard time from posters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Enda said:

Agreed. IMHO you’re getting a hard time from posters.

Used to it mate. I like to give my opinions on off topic now and then because I don’t know many people who are as well informed as the people on this site (along with them being Villa fans!) I’m trying to keep it respectful because believe it or not I do really like everybody on here :)

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Love how you didn’t reply to my last post but were quick to jump on to this one. 

Couldn't be arsed because you appear to be continuing in the same vein of countering points with questions , that imply that what someone has said isn't true, yet offering no actual evidence. Then claiming it's a question. That isn't how debate works

Take your assertion that the police got massively criticised for enforcing the law on lockdown. I can't find any evidence of this, nor do I remember any. What they have been criticised for heavily, is making up non-existant laws and threatening to enforce them and in some cases actually doing so.

12 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm one of the biggest critics on here of the behaviour over the last few weeks, but that's entirely around them overreaching. when it comes to arresting and fining people breaking the law, that's their job and if there's any criticism over that, it's a bit silly - in that case people should be criticising Parliament if they disagree with the law, not the police who are only enforcing it. 

To be fair the criticism was probably just as much about the inconsistency as much as the laws. 

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

Couldn't be arsed because you appear to be continuing in the same vein of countering points with questions , that imply that what someone has said isn't true, yet offering no actual evidence. Then claiming it's a question. That isn't how debate works

Take your assertion that the police got massively criticised for enforcing the law on lockdown. I can't find any evidence of this, nor do I remember any. What they have been criticised for heavily, is making up non-existant laws and threatening to enforce them and in some cases actually doing so.

ok I take back the police criticism thing.  But that aside I didn’t see anything wrong in asking for an example of where extra funding to education, courts and prisons had helped relax the police force? 

24 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

If a person gets caught breaching the social distancing laws they will not always admit to it and happily take a fine. They are more likely to come out with an excuse and also have a complaint about it. This leads to the media jumping on it which makes the police seem like they are going above and beyond their powers. The knock on effect of that is police become more relaxed because they under scrutiny. Hence people continue to get away with not adhering to the laws.

All of the above is my opinion.

Â