Generic Virus Thread

villakram

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The argument that most people dying must have had an undiagnosed condition has a fatal flaw. If there are so many undiagnosed conditions about, what makes you think that YOU haven't got one? 

That is true for the flu though and even for people with underlying conditions the vast majority shrug it off after a couple of weeks. Hence the need to look at ‘excess mortality’ to get an understanding. Unfortunately it’s difficult to know in advance, only really once we look back can we know for sure.

The indications from countries who have undertaken significant testing like Korea seem to indicate a mortality rate in line with the flu. They have found that there are many people who get it but show almost no symptoms (bringing the mortality rate significantly down). Even for elderly people who get it, the majority will survive, it’s not like it is a death sentence if you get it at 90, you are still most likely to shrug it off according to the data.

The main problem seems to be how contagious it is, not so much how deadly it is. Its rate of contagion means so many people show up at hospitals at the same time needing help to get through it and our hospitals are not designed for that.

Without a vaccine social distancing is the only effective measure we have. 

48 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

noticed in my inbox that some gigs from April that were cancelled are being rescheduled for September dates...

wonder if they are guessing or the promoters / events know something we don’t ? 

2 events I'm headed to have been put back 1 year. 

21 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The argument that most people dying must have had an undiagnosed condition has a fatal flaw. If there are so many undiagnosed conditions about, what makes you think that YOU haven't got one? 

yeah this is bothering me too.

SOmeone saying "oh but that victim DID have a health condition, he just didn't know about it" brings me no comfort. If it's killing people who have an underlying health condition so mild that you haven't even noticed it, then that could easily be me or my loved ones.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

noticed in my inbox that some gigs from April that were cancelled are being rescheduled for September dates...

wonder if they are guessing or the promoters / events know something we don’t ? 

I suspect that September is the earliest realistic guess of a date and they need to give some sort of date to limit the number of people bailing and getting their money back.

You’ve reserved a slot and giving a slight incentive not to start giving too much money back.

Get the punters to September, if it then needs moving to January, that’s an easier sell than telling people now to hold their ticket for best part of a year.

Is my guess.

• Like 1

The only way out is testing, and surveillance. There is an app in its early stages based on the one they used in South Korea, but it's pointless tracking people's movements, unless the testing capacity is in place. This government have made errors already, but failing to get the testing ramped up is a problem in the here and now - I think they're screwing this up royally. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Shuttering the economy for 12 months will also result in deaths. There will be additional deaths from alcoholism, drug use, depression due to job losses. Additional deaths from domestic violence. Additional deaths from things like malnutrition. It is very important to get a proper understanding of whether the deaths from the virus are greater than these deaths, in order to justify the measures.

This is not correct.

What is necessary in these cases is to put in additional policies to mitigate the circumstances which may (not will) lead to those other things happening.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The deaths in Germany has jumped dramatically

Over 700 now, was below 150 a week ago

They have been tracking pretty constantly at just over 1% deaths from those tested positive and that is continuing (currently 775 deaths from 71808 tested positive or a death rate of 1.07%). 

Edited by LondonLax

8 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

How is it that covid19 has reached every corner of the globe now, yet Beijing and Shanghai are open for business?

Most of East Asia has avoided having to implement a lockdown outside of the initial Chinese response. Korea, Singapore, Japan have all avoided needing to lock down their populations. That could well change of course but they have a lot of experience with this sort of thing from their dealings with SARS in the early 2000s.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Turkmenistan have taken the North Korean approach. All mention of coronavirus is banned and you can be arrested for wearing a face mask

That isn’t true in NK , there is an official directive to wear masks  and there were even pictures released via media outlets of the main committee gathering whilst wearing them , as well as shops being disinfected , smuggled footage from one of the border towns shows  propaganda vans also belting out messages to wear a mask  

they claim not to have had any deaths in NK , ( which is almost certainly false )but they do appear to be taking it seriously , I posted back in Feb  that they had cancelled the founding  day military parade , the first time this has ever happened .

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

yeah this is bothering me too.

SOmeone saying "oh but that victim DID have a health condition, he just didn't know about it" brings me no comfort. If it's killing people who have an underlying health condition so mild that you haven't even noticed it, then that could easily be me or my loved ones.

For me it's not about that. I get it could be me or my family with underlying health conditions. It's more slight comfort that it isn't turning into a disease that kills perfectly fit and healthy people so easily.  I find that worrying. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

It's more slight comfort that it isn't turning into a disease that kills perfectly fit and healthy people so easily

The young ones are a sad surprise as it was not advertised to be like this (only the really old or with health problems,  on the other hand it is a tiny percentage and there are outliers to these things I assume that no one can explain.  I think everyone just needs to be careful no matter how old.  

2 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Absolute revolution needed In the fall out from this. Not some shit enquiry followed by a statement saying lessons have already been learnt and measures are now in place blah blah blah. Proper change, from what countries we do business with, to what industry counts as essential, to why we commute and how we want health and social care provided.

On this one point, just before our office semi-closed and most of us were being set up to work from home, I said "This should have been done ages ago, I could have been working from home for years" and a colleague scoffed "This isn't a job that requires you to work from home".

I replied, "Why is it a job that requires me to be in the office?". No answer.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

The young ones are a sad surprise as it was not advertised to be like this (only the really old or with health problems,  on the other hand it is a tiny percentage and there are outliers to these things I assume that no one can explain.  I think everyone just needs to be careful no matter how old.  

Every year children also die of the flu unfortunately, so that in of itself is not yet remarkable. 

You have to expect there will be cases of children dying of this virus also unfortunately. Medical authorities will be watching for the numbers of children getting into serious difficulties in order to decide the appropriate response in that age group.
For reference these are the rates in the US for the children who die of regular seasonal flu: 

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/highrisk/children.htm

• While relatively rare, some children die from flu each year. Since 2004-2005, flu-related deaths in children reported to CDC during regular flu seasons have ranged from 37 to 187 deaths. Even though the reported number of deaths during the 2017-2018 flu season was 187, CDC’s mathematical models that account for the underreporting of flu-related deaths in children estimate the actual number was closer to 600. Information about pediatric deaths since the 2004-2005 flu season is available in the interactive pediatric death web application.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

On this one point, just before our office semi-closed and most of us were being set up to work from home, I said "This should have been done ages ago, I could have been working from home for years" and a colleague scoffed "This isn't a job that requires you to work from home".

I replied, "Why is it a job that requires me to be in the office?". No answer.

When businesses realise how much bunce they can save in hiring out smaller office spaces in expensive city centres, they may think differently once this is over.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

How many people have died with the virus? 

And 

How many have died because of the virus?

There should be loads of people sorting this out by whatever means and cost necessary to do it better than anyone else (As a rough goal),  not just for now but for future pandemics.  It's pure gold in the fight against it and the quicker supercomputers can have a bit of quality data the better.

• Like 1

Â