Generic Virus Thread

villakram

23 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I replied, "Why is it a job that requires me to be in the office?". No answer.

Are you tired of posting the truth on forum's....I thought so.

You should try Embellishit .org 

I replied in a casual but assertive manner, "Why is it a job that requires me to be in the office?". Not answered quite quick enough so I kicked him in the bolox and set his ruksak on fire with his sandwiches still in it.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

A friend of mine who works on data models and is employed by the gov data analysis team sent the following:

---–------------------

It's all completely pointless to be honest mate. 

The questions that will never be answered but we need to model are:

How many people have died with the virus? 

And 

How many have died because of the virus?

The data provided by the NHS is just quick observations and the coroner. They are too busy to even bother. There's guys who've contracted the Virus in hospital but died of natural causes and the opposite. 

Until there's mass antibody tests, ie how many people have had the virus and been fine, we will never be able to even estimate.  Everything I'm doing is completely pointless from a pandemic modelling perspective.

We are now modelling potential NHS requirements and ensure they have it. If a single person dies from lack of resources the political landscape (conservative) changes forever. To them, how many die is irrelavant. Its how many people die from a lack of resources. 

This is exactly the point I have been making for a few pages. 

Are we making decisions based on actual scientific data?

Obviously - by definition - I don't know if I've got any undiagnosed medical conditions, but I'd be surprised. For an over 65, all my indicators are good. Fitness, weight, BMI, blood pressure, heart rate, all excellent. No allergies beyond mild hayfever a couple of weeks a year, no diabetes, no history of heart disease in the immediate family. If it was just me, I'd say bring it on, I'd rather go through the suffering and get it over with. But I worry about the missus - she has rheumatoid arthritis, and takes immumosuppressant drugs, plus has had cancer, and close family with a history of heart disease. Every time I come back from the shops, I'm scared I'm bringing her a death sentence. :(

• Sad 2

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Obviously - by definition - I don't know if I've got any undiagnosed medical conditions, but I'd be surprised. For an over 65, all my indicators are good. Fitness, weight, BMI, blood pressure, heart rate, all excellent. No allergies beyond mild hayfever a couple of weeks a year, no diabetes, no history of heart disease in the immediate family. If it was just me, I'd say bring it on, I'd rather go through the suffering and get it over with. But I worry about the missus - she has rheumatoid arthritis, and takes immumosuppressant drugs, plus has had cancer, and close family with a history of heart disease. Every time I come back from the shops, I'm scared I'm bringing her a death sentence. :(

Unfortunately until there is a vaccine you will need to take every precaution. 

Here is advice from a Spanish health authority that might be useful to you?

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

This is exactly the point I have been making for a few pages. 

Are we making decisions based on actual scientific data?

If a patient is not being judged by whether they died because of the virus, or died but happened to have the virus. Then no, we aren't making decisions on scientific data because the data doesn't exist. 

Also we have no idea how many people have the virus but are unnafected. The data is pointless. 

1_JCR_WOL_310320_LlynfiSurgeryLetterDNR_

A GP surgery sent people with "significant life-limiting illnesses" a letter saying they would "like to complete a DNACPR (do not attempt CPR) form" for them. 

Llynfi Surgery, in Llynfi Road, Maesteg, sent the letter to patients with serious health conditions such as incurable cancer, motor neurone disease, and untreatable heart and lung conditions, on March 27.

Wales Online

Spectator approved no doubt.

Holy shit.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

yeah this is bothering me too.

SOmeone saying "oh but that victim DID have a health condition, he just didn't know about it" brings me no comfort. If it's killing people who have an underlying health condition so mild that you haven't even noticed it, then that could easily be me or my loved ones.

Worth noting on this that 75% of Italian victims appear to have had hypertension, something that affects more than a quarter of the UK adult population.

27 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

There should be loads of people sorting this out by whatever means and cost necessary to do it better than anyone else (As a rough goal),  not just for now but for future pandemics.  It's pure gold in the fight against it and the quicker supercomputers can have a bit of quality data the better.

We won't know this information for the UK in all likelihood. Death certificates in the UK list multiple causes of death - I remember my grandfather's had four or five - and coroners are too overwhelmed to be performing detailed autopsies or whatever. I guess the best bet for this type of information is small countries with widespread testing and advanced healthcare systems that have largely managed to contain the infection (Iceland seems a promising bet to me).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

If a patient is not being judged by whether they died because of the virus, or died but happened to have the virus. Then no, we aren't making decisions on scientific data because the data doesn't exist. 

Also we have no idea how many people have the virus but are unnafected. The data is pointless. 

This is the problem I have. There are so many people on social media and in the regular media posting things out of fear but there does not seem to be a lot of critical thinking being done.

If those making decisions over our lives are operating under a climate of fear instead of clinical science there is a good chance poor decisions are being made at many levels which may cost lives. 

17 minutes ago, Chindie said:

1_JCR_WOL_310320_LlynfiSurgeryLetterDNR_

Wales Online

Spectator approved no doubt.

Holy shit.

I know for a fact this is starting take place in the hospitals. 

Nurses are being told not to resuscitate patients with covid-19 who suffer cardiac arrest. 

This is going to become war like triage soon. I still think some people don't understand the seriousness of this pandemic. 

Bad day so far. Death death death

Covid?

Probably
Not taking everyone to hospital as with our lot theres no point ☹️
A grim few weeks to come

Community nursing today.

5 hours ago, Davkaus said:

My smell is slowly returning, but it's wrong. My coffee kind of smells of cheese. :(

Still no taste.

This. Coffee tasted like mouldy bread to me for about 5 days after the headaches left.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Did we **** up? Should this lockdown have come much earlier? 

Whilst you might be right about doing more earlier, there is a 2-3 week lag until effectiveness is known. Judging by how many beds the government are creating it is expected. Hopefully we’re peaking this week, and then the benefit of the actions start to show in the numbers.

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Did we **** up? Should this lockdown have come much earlier? 

I'm not sure how the UK did it exactly, the working from home softer lockdown should definitely have come sooner than I think it did, I'd been working from home for 2 weeks I think before the hard lockdown here (my wife was about 4 days) 

Schools had shut 3/4 weeks before the lockdown 

Officially furloughed starting tomorrow. 
HR told me they’re expecting the furlough to last until at least 30th April

Trying to look on the bright side. There will be a job waiting when I come back and I have a month of being paid to do nothing. 

Â