Generic Virus Thread

villakram

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I know this sounds **** up but I hope he did have some underlying issues that just hadn't come out yet. 

Because if not, that absolutely terrifies me. 

Horrific story and my heart goes out to that family. 

I completely see where your coming from mate and i agree, yes it does sound f****d up but it will be more f****d if the virus has killed someone so young all by itself.

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, leighavfc said:

I completely see where your coming from mate and i agree, yes it does sound f****d up but it will be more f****d if the virus has killed someone so young all by itself.

It does seem a really random virus. It's supposed to be a killer of the elderly but there's been stories of really old folks getting over it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Anyone else got no faith in Jenny Harries? She seems to give very clear, reassuring answers to difficult questions, which later turn out to be bollocks.

I want to trust her as an expert, but I feel like she’s fallen into the trap of saying things that will get a pat on the back from her political colleagues in the post-press conference debrief. A bit too plausible, a bit too reassuring, where perhaps “I don’t know” or “we don’t have the same resources as Germany” are the more accurate answers.

I don't know. I get what you're saying but I wonder whether a lot of the 'expert' stuff is being given on the basis that they're doing their best to try and distance themselves from the politicial influence whilst not disagreeing with those politicians in charge.

I think I compare Harries to Birx. Fauci to Whitty. Listen to them all but listen to Fauci & Whitty most.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

It does seem a really random virus. It's supposed to be a killer of the elderly but there's been stories of really old folks getting over it. 

The statistics are still showing the ‘average’ death is an 82 year old male with other health issues.

There are and always will be outliers, the media picks up on them as they want the ‘interest’ and novelty.

367 deaths today, the only one we’ve heard of is this poor boy. The reason, he’s different from the norm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I know this sounds **** up but I hope he did have some underlying issues that just hadn't come out yet. 

Because if not, that absolutely terrifies me. 

Horrific story and my heart goes out to that family. 

complete guesswork but i imagine many of these young ones dying would have been the usual "19 year old footballer has heart attack" "completely healthy 24 year old dies of unknown hole in heart" type stories you see a few times a year.

It does seem primarily to be clearing out people who would have likely died this year/soon anyway, guess the death rates come the end of the year will be interesting to see if this has just wiped out the majority in a few months that would have usually been much more spread out. No offence to anyone who has died/lost family/friends etc but there have been an awful lot of photos of shall we say "quite round" people in the papers that are apparently perfectly healthy/no underlying health condions.

Edited by LakotaDakota

7 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Really? Really?

Blimey.

150,000+ people die every single day that is well over 100 people every single minute, The vast majority of them (2/3) will be age related.

40,000 mostly old people dying as a result of this over 3 months is about the same amount of people that that will have died of "old age" by the time you wake up in the morning after going to bed tonight

Edited by LakotaDakota

18 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

The statistics are still showing the ‘average’ death is an 82 year old male with other health issues.

There are and always will be outliers, the media picks up on them as they want the ‘interest’ and novelty.

367 deaths today, the only one we’ve heard of is this poor boy. The reason, he’s different from the norm.

Exactly right.

Each to their own, but my advice is ignore anything that makes headlines like that.

We could easily see between 400 and 7/800 deaths a day for a month or so, there will be bound to be all sorts in there.

46 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

I hope you don’t mind but I will kind of correct what you’ve said there, just in case there’s anyone reading who is unduly alarmed by it....

...The best evidence at present is that it may kill around 15% of those aged over 80 who catch it. 

So even for people aged over 80, between 8/10 and  9/10 who get it ‘will’ recover.

For those between 70 and 80 the figures suggest 92/100 who get it will recover, and 

For those in their 60’s it’s expected 97/100 will recover.

So really, it is NOT a “killer of the elderly” in as much as they are more at risk.

Anyone with an elderly relative who gets the virus can still be reasonably confident of recovery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

150,000+ people die every single day that is well over 100 people every single minute, The vast majority of them (2/3) will be age related.

40,000 mostly old people dying as a result of this over 3 months is about the same amount of people that that will have died of "old age" by the time you wake up in the morning after going to bed tonight

Whilst there is some legitimacy to your post I’d suggest perhaps saying it was “ clearing out” ( in the earlier post) people is an unfortunate turn of phrase if you don’t mind me saying...just trying to be helpful 🙂

Edited by terrytini

15 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

21 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Really? Really?

Blimey.

I mean - really?

Here's a hint: what are you actually saying? And, again, what are you actually saying?

22 minutes ago, sne said:

Easy to have a Darwinist approach to it until it effects someone close to you I guess.

Your right and odds are it will affect us all, from the stats today. Nearly 7 more days of more or less exponential growth until we start to see the affects of the lock down. 

38 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

This post doesn't - at all - prove the prior argument that 'It does seem primarily to be clearing out people who would have likely died this year/soon anyway', though.

1 hour ago, Villarocker said:

Maybe it's related to the initial dose of infection or its mutating from patient to patient. Best way to stop this is if we all stop mixing, if we did it should stop within 2 to 3 weeks. 

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

This post doesn't - at all - prove the prior argument that 'It does seem primarily to be clearing out people who would have likely died this year/soon anyway', though.

I didn't say it did but when nearly 50% of the deaths are over 85 years old and that the average age in a country like Italy that is swamped is 82 I would say that there is a pretty good chance that a good portion of the 20-30000 or so 80+ year olds would have died anyway given that 100000 old people die every single day and this has been going on for 2+ months. 6/7 million people have died of old age since the beginning of feb. Corona accounts for about 0.5% of that and of that 0.5% I would suggest that half of them may have died anyway

Edited by LakotaDakota

I try to only post fact based stuff, and I try to keep a balance between positivity and reality ( which is certainly not very positive).

In doing so a Page or 2 ago I pointed out that even for the over 80’s the evidence is that 8-9/10 will recover.

However, having read a few things about the relatively low number of deaths I can’t help but point a couple of things out....

.........by the time this is”over” tens of thousands of people in this Country will have died a bitter and painful death after a bitter and painful illness. Probably hundreds of thousands more will have suffered greatly - anyone who has had genuine ‘flu knows it is a vile and awful illness, and can last weeks. This will be far worse for many. For many who “only” get ill with this virus there will be significant pain and suffering......and it won’t just be old or infirm people. They might have more chance of dying but they don’t have more chance of getting sick.

And along with those illnesses will be the fear of infecting the people you care about. There will be the doubt and uncertainty as to how long, and how bad, it will get for you. There will be feelings of powerlessness, and helplessness.

And all over the country care workers, doctors, nurses, and many others, are living in daily fear about these things happening to them.

I know it’s a forum, and everyone doesn’t feel the same way. I always try to respect the views of others.

But please could people stop and think about some of what I’ve said here - and about the fact that we have people reading the site who are experiencing what I’ve described, before Posting about similarities with ‘flu, low overall death rates, and the rest ?

3 hours ago, tinker said:

Maybe it's related to the initial dose of infection or its mutating from patient to patient. Best way to stop this is if we all stop mixing, if we did it should stop within 2 to 3 weeks. 

It’s not stopping in two or three weeks !!!!

• Like 1

Â