Generic Virus Thread

villakram

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This was my issue with the message last night.

"Don't go to work unless it's absolutely necessary"

Well who decides that?

Absolutely necessary for the employee? For their department? For the company? 

Does the company decide? The police? The government?

What's an "absolutely necessary" job?

I've woken up this morning and the road outside my flat sounds quieter than usual, but still pretty busy. I wouldn't say it's essential workers only commuting.

I took it has if you cant work from home, like you and @snowychap have said its a mixed message at best

• Like 1

1 minute ago, leighavfc said:

I took it has if you cant work from home, like you and @snowychap have said its a mixed message at best

I took it as if you can't work from home AND your job is absolutely essential. For example my other half works for a supermarket. Her job has been deemed "essential" because she's a buyer and helps get food on the shelves.

But my company have deemed it as absolutely necessary to have our company running smoothly.

You've interpreted it as absolutely necessary because you can't do it from home.

LIke you say, it's very mixed

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, leighavfc said:

Again I agree I'm just giving you my situation

Yep, I don't think we're wildly apart on this, it's just that we've taken things from what we've seen and heard and come to slightly different (but not unreasonable - on either part) conclusions.

• Like 1

I do finance for a biotech startup and our lab has been closed from today until further notice.  

The labs are essential to the work but I guess the work is not essential, I mean pah, they’re only trying to cure cancer.

I predict another spike in panic buying today (after it had started to settle down a bit, at least round here). Probably why the roads are still busy this morning. 

"Shop as infrequently as possible" --> "Buy as much as possible". I'm going to leave it another couple of days until the crowds have thinned out and the shelves have been restocked. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I took it as if you can't work from home AND your job is absolutely essential. For example my other half works for a supermarket. Her job has been deemed "essential" because she's a buyer and helps get food on the shelves.

But my company have deemed it as absolutely necessary to have our company running smoothly.

You've interpreted it as absolutely necessary because you can't do it from home.

LIke you say, it's very mixed

I've got a feeling this just stage 1 of lockdown as in go to work if you need too. And then it will be only go if your in certain jobs.. again who knows though 🤷🏻‍♂️

over the last two week I noticed how little we actually need to shop.

Before, I used to visit tesco every 2-3 days and top up on stuff that you don't necessarily need.

Now we barely go out and we have everything - as a nation, we are really wasteful when it comes to shopping. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I predict another spike in panic buying today (after it had started to settle down a bit, at least round here). Probably why the roads are still busy this morning. 

"Shop as infrequently as possible" --> "Buy as much as possible". I'm going to leave it another couple of days until the crowds have thinned out and the shelves have been restocked. 

Yeah all the crazies will be back out today

Shame really because most the shops by me are basically back to normal stock levels, and now they are all are going to be decimated again

9 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Yep, I don't think we're wildly apart on this, it's just that we've taken things from what we've seen and heard and come to slightly different (but not unreasonable - on either part) conclusions.

Yeah sorry if I've come across on edge mate, genuinely didn't mean it like that! Ive had the word removed of a sister in law and her fella to deal with this morning 🤬🤬

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mic09 said:

over the last two week I noticed how little we actually need to shop.

Before, I used to visit tesco every 2-3 days and top up on stuff that you don't necessarily need.

Now we barely go out and we have everything - as a nation, we are really wasteful when it comes to shopping. 

I agree except for the last bit. I don't think this is something that applies just to this country, I'd say it's just the product of decades of consumerism.

9 hours ago, Awol said:

Twitter rammed with people writing in something like English about how they’ll still be going out with their mates. 

Police in London are going to have a great time with these scrotes over the next few weeks. 

In the end it will just be natural selection. Most of them will eventually get ill and a few will die. 

1 minute ago, leighavfc said:

Yeah sorry if I've come across on edge mate, genuinely didn't mean it like that! Ive had the word removed of a sister in law and her fella to deal with this morning 🤬🤬

No probs and the same from me (without the associated family issues!).

4 minutes ago, snowychap said:

No probs and the same from me (without the associated family issues!).

You have been reasonable throughout mate 👍🏼it's good to have debate and ask questions like you said in the Tory thread, we are all in this together !

Interview with an Italian immunologist about what's happening there, how to go forwards and on how the Atalanta-Valencia game is a very likely reason why Bergamo is they way it is.

Really interesting and also shows why getting football started anytime soon is utterly ridiculous.

Google Translate ftw

Coronavirus, the immunologist: Atalanta-Valencia match zero

Francesco Le Foche speaks, in the trenches against the epidemic: «Anomaly Bergamo: maybe he also pays for that race with the doors open»

An example? From Valencia explicit references come to the San Siro game of February 19, the Atalanta-Valencia Champions League match.

«One of these episodes, among the most striking, could have been just that. The peak in terms of collective euphoria of a football season unique in the history of the club ».
"It fits. A month has passed since that game. Times are relevant. The aggregation of thousands of people, two centimeters from each other, even more associated in the understandable manifestations of euphoria, screams, hugs, may have favored viral replication ».

What do you mean by "favorite"?
«I mean an expulsion of very high quantities of viral particles at great speed from the upper airways, mouth and nose. We are talking about the collective emphasis of a historic game, with many goals. The afflatus of a passionate supporter like few others. I must imagine that almost everyone went to that game, probably including asymptomatic and feverish. "

If empathic aggregations are a fundamental contagion factor, are we faced with a collective illusion of the football institutions, when do they imagine to start again by June?
«China docet. It takes certainties. Which means a true stabilization before starting again. It is very probable that the virus circulates in a reduced way between now and autumn. After that there may be a resumption of viral activity. We are obviously reasoning by hypothesis ».

https://www.corrieredellosport.it/news/calcio/2020/03/19-68010146/coronavirus_limmunologo_atalanta-valencia_partita_zero/

It's long read but really interesting

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I agree except for the last bit. I don't think this is something that applies just to this country, I'd say it's just the product of decades of consumerism.

Well, older generations are definitely better for it. They often make their own jams, pickles, often have potatoes or carrots in their gardens. I know some older people who could easily stay at home for 6 months and they would have plenty of food with very little waste. 

It's the younger generation that's most wasteful - and you are correct, its a phenomenon wide spread across the western world. 

Looks like the social distancing in the London tube is going well. Pictures from yesterday, apparently it's just as bad today.

coronavirus london underground newscoronavirus london news

Exactly the same situation as in Stockholm where they reduce the number of trains so people get even more packed together.

Edited by sne

Â