Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Wow (info from the Grauniad again):

Unemployment claims:

2,000: Unemployment claims California sees in a typical day

40,000: Unemployment claims California saw a week ago Monday

140,000: Unemployment claims the state saw yesterday (meaning it may take additional time to issue payments).

Just had a call from a mate who’s rushed to get the ‘last’ flight from Toronto back to UK overnight.

He reckons UK is shutting down all incoming commercial flights as of end of play tomorrow.

Don’t know if it’s true, but he’s just broken off a 3 month holiday over there and gone straight to the airport without even getting all his gear! 

From Spain, video is pretty grim

Coronavirus patients spotted lying on floor at overrun Madrid hospital

Chilling scenes have emerged from hospitals in Madrid, Spain, that have been overrun by coronavirus patients — showing some sprawled out over the floor.

The Severo Ochoa de Leganes Hospital has been particularly hard hit by the onslaught and collapsed under the pressure on Thursday, according to local media outlet Larazon.

One elderly patient with symptoms of the illness decided to leave the packed emergency room and head over to a bank to withdraw money so he could find room in a private facility, the news site reported.

Several patients have spent as many as three days sitting in the ER waiting room to await beds that only become available when those admitted either die or recover and are sent home.

There were more than 9,700 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the capital city as of the last tally.

On Sunday, Spain recorded close to 400 new fatalities, bringing the total to 1,720, suggesting that the national lockdown was failing to be effective.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/23/coronavirus-patients-spotted-lying-on-floor-at-overrun-madrid-hospital/

Madrid1Madrid4Madrid3Madrid2

Indeed, there’s actually a St. Corona! And her remains are in Northern Italy (the site of the first Covid 19 lockdown in EU). What’s more ironic is that St. Corona is considered as one of the patron saints of pandemics. She was martyred together with Saint Victor, a Roman soldier. Their relics are held in a basilica in Anzu, Northern Italy, right in the middle of the Coronavirus pandemic. 

Catholic Pilgrimage

On 22/03/2020 at 19:11, chrisp65 said:

Stand down! Stand down! Crisis over.

A County Commissioner in a Florida County has the cure. The virus breaks down in heat, it gets in to you via your nasal passage.

So blow a hair dryer up your nose.

Maybe this guy is actually a genius ;)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-8143727/High-temperatures-humidity-significantly-slow-spread-coronavirus.html

As the weather grew warmer and more humid in 100 Chinese cities researchers at Beihang University and Tsinghua University found that the transmission rate of COVID-19 fell.

'High temperature and high relative humidity significantly reduce the transmission of COVID-1, the study authors wrote.

So just to recap: In response to a global pandemic, Boris asked the people to stay home but they didn't, so Boris asked them again in his mean voice which he's sure will work now and also told the shops to close, but the shops didn't close because they didn't want to. Meanwhile, Boris said he'd help people by paying their wages while they couldn't work, but didn't mention that was only if they were more than 6'5" tall and could whistle the theme tune to Eastenders while rubbing their tummy and standing on one leg. No one knew how to give business that money and none of the police knew how to deal with people outside or with shops that stayed open. 

What could possibly go wrong?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

I would love to see action taken against them, its not like they couldn't afford it and they prioritize making a few quid over their staff.

Last year people were literally passing out in the office in the middle of the summer when the aircon was broke for 8 weeks, temperature in the office hit 39° nearly everyday, they got these great big air con units which made the whole office damp and all they did was come round once a day with an icelol.

I actually got sent home the one day because I was struggling to breathe (suffering from thunderfever on that day as well) and the cheeky **** made me take it as sick leave.

They’ve not prepared anyone for it? I’m in the same industry. Whilst we haven’t been the quickest to get things sorted. I now have 100% of my claims team working from home as of today. As a new tl, it’s been a very stressful time for me, as I’ve been given the task of helping people set up their IT (which I’m no expert at). Yesterday everyone on the government vulnerable list didn’t come in, whether they had full access or not. 
I’m expecting a few problems today getting on, but it’s still better than going in. 
The problem you have is that part of the key workers was “financial services” now I read that as banks, etc something that will keep the country running; but my company, so I’m no doubt yours will be similar, are treating themselves as key and are trying to get the letter from govt re children can go to school 

18 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

They’ve not prepared anyone for it? I’m in the same industry. Whilst we haven’t been the quickest to get things sorted. I now have 100% of my claims team working from home as of today. As a new tl, it’s been a very stressful time for me, as I’ve been given the task of helping people set up their IT (which I’m no expert at). Yesterday everyone on the government vulnerable list didn’t come in, whether they had full access or not. 
I’m expecting a few problems today getting on, but it’s still better than going in. 
The problem you have is that part of the key workers was “financial services” now I read that as banks, etc something that will keep the country running; but my company, so I’m no doubt yours will be similar, are treating themselves as key and are trying to get the letter from govt re children can go to school 

We have been told that it could take anywhere up to 6 weeks before they arrange for us to stay at home 😬

Those who are vulnerable are at home already but not working.

A massive amount of others are isolating as well which leaves just a few people in the office who are now at the very back of the queue 

My work has emailed telling me not to attend. Im so glad they saw sense. , If i could go in on my own to help i would , just not with a hundred or so others .

This virus is changing our lives, its not a temporary change either and this will start to settle in with people over the next few weeks.

I just hope that there is no civil disorder, im getting a real feeling of deep underlying tension surrounding food, medicine and service supplies.  Im also beginning to feel relegious 😇 . Stay safe everyone 

Edited by tinker
  • Like 1

You would not believe some people honestly..... 

So I've mentioned my sister in law at least twice in here and her attitude towards all of this. You would think by now most, if not all people would have some kind of realisation and understanding of this situation wouldnt you?

Step forward moron numero uno..... she phoned Sunday evening saying that she hadn't be able to taste food for a few days. This is one of the new symptoms... she said to my partner and I what shall I do?... i immediately said well stay in your room for 7 days at least basically (shes 28 and lives at home with mom and dad still). WHAT she says??? I cant do that!!! I said well why the hell not? Your mom just about survived stage 4 lymphoma last year, you have to at all costs stay out the way of her. Well what about food and stuff, I said that's fine but you need to make sure your moms outside or something whilst you do it.. massive humph.. bearing in mind she had been Sutton Park all day and was then driving round pubs and restaurants to find one open for food 🤬

Well what about seeing my boyfriend she says? Well your going to have to sack that off for now too. Weve only been together 2 months, I want to be able to see him. At this point I couldn't hide my anger, I said are you f*****g stupid or something? People are dying out there and all you care about is you and your new play thing, who btw wont last 5 minutes judging on your previous relationships....

Fast forward to Monday evening whilst partner is phone to her mom... Wheres my sister ? Oh shes at her fella's house..Right shouldnt she be in the house self isolating? Mother in law says I've tried telling her but it just turns into a row, you know what shes like! Shes WFH from tomorrow, and they are planning to both stay here for the duration to work etc...

Honestly I'm gonna blow my f*****g lid at the pair of them shortly. Absolute morons! We are talking about a 30 year old bloke and 28 year old woman here.... 

• Sad 3

37 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

We have been told that it could take anywhere up to 6 weeks before they arrange for us to stay at home 😬

Those who are vulnerable are at home already but not working.

A massive amount of others are isolating as well which leaves just a few people in the office who are now at the very back of the queue 

That’s shambolic. Even if you have to use your own equipment (which we’ve had to do in the main) it’s still better than nothing. 
My Technician seems to think the the govt will put a stay on all injury claims going to court, so that judges time can be used for more pressing criminal/family matters. If that is the case then you’d think work will decrease massively for us

I would like to know everyone’s thoughts on my situation. I am a stone mason and I have 1 days work left to complete the current project that I am working on . I could do with going in today to finish it to get paid . I would be working on my own on a house where the occupants are not there at the moment . No one else is working there also . I’m self employed so I could really do with the money  . That’s me done them until Boris gives the all clear . Thoughts ?

There were around 137,000 claims for UC over the weekend, absolutely unprecedented. Our office is still doing the 'day job' which seems mad, and a waste of time at the moment. We're pretty desperate to move over to something which will actually make a difference. 

5 minutes ago, rendelc said:

I would like to know everyone’s thoughts on my situation. I am a stone mason and I have 1 days work left to complete the current project that I am working on . I could do with going in today to finish it to get paid . I would be working on my own on a house where the occupants are not there at the moment . No one else is working there also . I’m self employed so I could really do with the money  . That’s me done them until Boris gives the all clear . Thoughts ?

I would dont see much of a problem there mate really, owners are not there, one day of work to be done. If mo symptoms I dont see any problem tbh! Get it done and get yourself home mate 👍🏼

Edited by leighavfc

24 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

That’s shambolic. Even if you have to use your own equipment (which we’ve had to do in the main) it’s still better than nothing. 
My Technician seems to think the the govt will put a stay on all injury claims going to court, so that judges time can be used for more pressing criminal/family matters. If that is the case then you’d think work will decrease massively for us

Had an email to say our last day in the office will be tomorrow, the email was sent half hour after the regional manager messaged everyone to say that their position hasn't changed.

Now this is the best on them, they said 6 weeks to get us set up, let's see how long it takes them now, I'm gunna say it'll be ready by the end of the week.

Just can't trust them.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, rendelc said:

Michael Gove has just stated on GMB to Piers Morgan that construction workers working on homes where nobody is present can continue to do that.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rendelc said:

Get it bloody done and sheepish, I'd sack ya for asking

• Confused 1

Â