Generic Virus Thread

villakram

14 minutes ago, sne said:

Looks like the social distancing in the London tube is going well. Pictures from yesterday, apparently it's just as bad today.

coronavirus london underground newscoronavirus london news

Exactly the same situation as in Stockholm where they reduce the number of trains so people get even more packed together.

This **** pisses me off so much.

I'm not allowed out for a couple of walks, or to see my partner when we're both separately isolated and putting nobody else at risk. But this is ok.

I'm basically in solitary confinement for a minimum of 3 weeks, but this is going on outside? I already feel like a mug. 

Just now, Davkaus said:

I'm not allowed out for a couple of walks, or to see my partner when we're both separately isolated and putting nobody else at risk. But this is ok.

I'm basically in solitary confinement for a minimum of 3 weeks, but this is going on outside? I already feel like a mug. 

Go join them then if it irks you so much

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

Sweden and England are handling it the same way pretty much. They are suggesting to people what to do rather than being firm and demanding them to not do things.

Trusting that people will act sensibly which they of course wont.

I'm afraid it will backfire. I have friends going on skiing holidays right now ffs. Easter weekend is going to be a joke here.

Just now, sne said:

Sweden and England are handling it the same way pretty much. They are suggesting to people what to do rather than being firm and demanding them to not do things.

Trusting that people will act sensibly which they of course wont.

I'm afraid it will backfire. I have friends going on skiing holidays right now ffs. Easter weekend is going to be a joke here.

It’s because there’s a danger to forcing people to do anything but particularly to quarantine themselves, it can cause a major social backlash and whilst for some people avoiding the virus is of paramount importance - to others, it’s not.

There could be civil revolt if you implement a ‘V for Vendetta’ style administration which could seriously exacerbate the problems we’re already facing from the virus.

Whilst it may be a simple equation for some, it’s not for others.

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It’s because there’s a danger to forcing people to do anything but particularly to quarantine themselves, it can cause a major social backlash and whilst for some people avoiding the virus is of paramount importance - to others, it’s not.

There could be civil revolt if you implement a ‘V for Vendetta’ style administration which could seriously exacerbate the problems we’re already facing from the virus.

Whilst it may be a simple equation for some, it’s not for others.

I think it's more down to keeping the economy going at any cost, even lives. 

• Like 3

Want to name and shame your terrible employer (eg. @leemond2008), or alternatively praise them for their response?

You can do so here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fEedCEuymNYlzkHdcEhymNkBO451FgVx84k5Fwpv9P8/edit#gid=0

EDIT: Realise that makes it look like I'm calling leemond2008 a terrible employer, which is obviously not what I'm saying.

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, sne said:

I guess their side of the argument is that if there's a major recession more people will be affected than what is currently seen of this virus. While there's merit to it I think it's a very dystopian way to look at society. Denmark has decided to keep things closed until after Easter while there's so little done to minimise this across the border in Sweden. I guess when shit hits the fan in Sweden they'll ask both Norway and Denmark to assist them as they were so far ahead of the curve. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sne said:

Yep. And I still think they're determined to avoid a lockdown, or at least call it a lockdown.

They'll keep introducing these measures, people will disobey them, and then finally they'll properly lock the country down and be like "well you made us do it. We didn't WANT to have a lockdown"

If they'd stepped up and locked us down a week or 10 days ago things might be a lot better.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

I guess their side of the argument is that if there's a major recession more people will be affected than what is currently seen of this virus. While there's merit to it I think it's a very dystopian way to look at society. Denmark has decided to keep things closed until after Easter while there's so little done to minimise this across the border in Sweden. I guess when shit hits the fan in Sweden they'll ask both Norway and Denmark to assist them as they were so far ahead of the curve. 

Yes!

And I think in Sweden it's partly out of necessity as well because our once great healthcare system has been dismantled over the last 30 years or so and as it is now we can't keep up even if we wanted to.

Push the problem forward and hope it doesn't get quite as bad as in other places. Regions and hospitals are not even allowed to stock up on supply, it's bare minimum at all times to keep cost down. We are paying for that now and I really feel for the medical staff because they have a horrid time even on the best of days. A lot of them were about to be laid off before this started and as soon as it calms down they'll be unemployed because Sweden has 1 billion (slight exaggeration) administrators and people like that that has to be paid before the actual useful people get paid

I definitely think some comapnies are using this situation to treat their employees like shit.

Gf's company, American company with offices all over the world.

Didn't allow home office until they absolutely had to, now they froze all employee appraisal uplifts due to uncertainty.

But they make masks, they'll be fine. Uncertainty is a justification for companies to not pay their employees, **** the employees.

And to make it worse, her contract is up now. She is doing the job above right now, she was promised the next job position, but not whilst the appraisal period is happening. So they've cancelled the appraisals for everyone, but she won't get new position. The reason? Uncertainty.

clearings in the woods

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, snowychap said:

I think that, at the end of this, everyone ought to consider just how other people have behaved.

Those employers who have treated employees like shit should be ditched as soon as possible by those employees and businesses which haven't stepped up to the mark should be ditched by their customers.

At the same time, those that obviously have (and there are many examples, a few of which I've posted in this thread but there are going to be plenty more out there) ought to be rewarded for showing the social spirit which they have.

Just been told that we will all be ready to work from home within the next few days.

Funny that is ain't it.

Again I actually want to get set up from home it just shows there ulterior motive in keeping us in the office for as long as possible.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sne said:

Yes!

And I think in Sweden it's partly out of necessity as well because our once great healthcare system has been dismantled over the last 30 years or so and as it is now we can't keep up even if we wanted to.

Push the problem forward and hope it doesn't get quite as bad as in other places. Regions and hospitals are not even allowed to stock up on supply, it's bare minimum at all times to keep cost down. We are paying for that now and I really feel for the medical staff because they have a horrid time even on the best of days. A lot of them were about to be laid off before this started and as soon as it calms down they'll be unemployed because Sweden has 1 billion (slight exaggeration) administrators and people like that that has to be paid before the actual useful people get paid

There's plenty of countries in Europe that'll gladly take your well educated doctors and nurses - but it's sad that it's come to that.

Last time I went to Norway I noticed just how many Swedes work in their health care sector - a sad state of affairs for Sweden really.

• Like 1

I wander how representative this total nitwit is? 

edit - the nitwit is the caller, not the radio presenter pictured btw, just to avoid accidental slander

Edited by Rodders

7 minutes ago, Rodders said:

The impression I get is a lot of older people feel like this. if we get it we get it.

My mom was a bit like that although I think she's realised now how serious it is.

Totally irresponsible behaviour.

13 minutes ago, Rodders said:

edit - the nitwit is the caller, not the radio presenter pictured btw, just to avoid accidental slander

Probably the first to demand to see a GP and a hospital bed too...

mindless and selfish...

Â