Generic Virus Thread

villakram

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Genuine thought/question and probably already covered but could the severity in spread in Italy and Spain be because they all kiss each other on the face when they greet one another? 

Has to have been a contributing factor surely?? 

You might have a point, kissing strangers certainly wouldn’t have helped matters. A contributing factor, probably but not solely down to that. 

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Genuine thought/question and probably already covered but could the severity in spread in Italy and Spain be because they all kiss each other on the face when they greet one another? 

Well it certainly won't help. Same with a lot of religious ceremonies I guess. Lot's of hand kissing hugging and large groups of people who may listen to other advice than the ones coming from scientists.

As for why certain people are having more severe effects from it apparently smoking is huge.

2 confirmed cases from one of my companies sites, sat in the site cabins all day in a 20 man team... No way that stops at 2

English and Portuguese too, both gone home 

Site shut under force majeure, wages, plant hire, scaffolding etc maybe 10.000€ a day in costs at a lazy guess

39 minutes ago, Awol said:

Worth reading this thread from an NHS doctor, on exactly these points.

This is why the Government needs to be firmer. It is crazy that pubs/restaurants etc are still open. It sends out mixed messages. France, Spain, Italy won't have wanted to have done what they have done and go into lockdown and I understand Johnson obviously doesn't want to either but what choice do you have when so many people aren't listening to the advice.

• Like 2

I keep thinking about this 'isolation and WFH for everyone except essential workers' thing. 

Everybody knows who this is, right? 

Doctors and nurses

Supermarket staff

Military, police and emergency services

So, is that all it takes to keep society functioning? 

How about: 

Dock workers (we still import stuff, right?)

PSV and lorry drivers (the latter, inevitably, are moving around the country - possible spreaders) 

Sanitation workers - binmen, water supply and sewage processing plant staff 

Power supply and maintenance staff 

Broadcasters (public information) 

Farmers and farm labourers, abbatoir staff 

Electricians, plumbers, builders 

Pilots, groundcrew, air traffic control (tourism may have stopped, but freight, etc.) 

Zookeepers (although I guess they could kill all the animals, eventually)

Vetinarians 

Highways maintenance 

Teachers and childcare for the children of health workers

Hospital administration and clerical staff 

...etc., etc. 

This is just the tip of the iceberg. The people who can work from home are a minority, and they are the very lucky ones - they get to stay at home and still draw a salary. Everybody else is either still out there working and risking their lives, or suddenly without a job or means of support. Yes, so-called 'total' lockdown is required, but what percentage of the population constitutes 'total'? 

Unless The Machine Stops ... 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Not sure they do that that much in Spain.

They definitely do it in Italy. I work with Italians and have been to their office in Turin a few times and they do it every day.

But can't say I've noticed it when I've been to Spain. Could be wrong of course

Just now, mjmooney said:

The people who can work from home are a minority, and they are the very lucky ones - they get to stay at home and still draw a salary.

100000% I didn't realise how lucky I am tbh. IT is a fortunate sector, more than I realised.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sne said:

Well it certainly won't help. Same with a lot of religious ceremonies I guess. Lot's of hand kissing hugging and large groups of people who may listen to other advice than the ones coming from scientists.

As for why certain people are having more severe effects from it apparently smoking is huge.

It's common for the entire family to live under 1 roof, particularly in the poorer working class areas. As in grandparents living with parents and kids.

As it appears exposure density affects the severity of symptoms, some poor nan and grandad could have 4/5 asymptomatic relatives passing the virus onto them. 

Add to that, many Northern Italian leather and textile industries were sold to Chinese firms who imported cheap labour from Wuhan. It appears that thousands returned to Italy after the Chinese new year celebrations.

They have no chance. 

39 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Probably as much of a factor as an ill person getting the round in at the pub.

Edited by Mic09
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

100000% I didn't realise how lucky I am tbh. IT is a fortunate sector, more than I realised.

Same.

I've moaned about our WFH arrangements in this thread, but I'm hugely lucky to work for a company where it's even a possibility.

Our Senior Director came yesterday and gave everyone a little speech and it was actually quite inspiring. Told us how lucky we were to have the opportunity to get through this with jobs for a good company and work from home to be safe. But that us doing our jobs as well as possible from home was essential to this as it keeps the company going. 

I mean it was a thinly veiled "don't sit on your arses and do **** all when you're at home" speech. But she has a point.

Gotta wonder is the above average number of young people in the US getting bad symptoms compared to other countries is down to the widespread smoking of weed?

It's probably better for your lungs than smoking regular tobacco but it's still not great for your lungs. And it seems like everyone over there is doing it all the time. Might be a lazy stereotype from me.

But if ever there was an incentive to stop smoking then now you have it.

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I mean it was a thinly veiled "don't sit on your arses and do **** all when you're at home" speech. But she has a point.

But this annoys me. We're all adults. Why does where you work change the work you do, if all of your work is on a PC?

My team all work from home 2/3 times a week anyway, so for us, this wasn't much of a change. We just sent monitors and docking stations home via taxi for those who don't have them. But we use SCRUM as our methodology meaning my team are expected to self-manage their work anyway :D 

29 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Not sure they do that that much in Spain.

They definitely do it in Italy. I work with Italians and have been to their office in Turin a few times and they do it every day.

But can't say I've noticed it when I've been to Spain. Could be wrong of course

Quite a few Romanian's in my office, they always start the day by shaking everybody's hand, every day without fail. You're lucky to get a grunted "morning" out of a fellow Brit.

Someone mentioned earlier that supermarkets should be creating hampers of basics - bloody good idea that. Biggest issue at the moment is changing people's behaviour, so used to getting what they want - we need a system of ordering things. 

19 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Same.

I've moaned about our WFH arrangements in this thread, but I'm hugely lucky to work for a company where it's even a possibility.

Our Senior Director came yesterday and gave everyone a little speech and it was actually quite inspiring. Told us how lucky we were to have the opportunity to get through this with jobs for a good company and work from home to be safe. But that us doing our jobs as well as possible from home was essential to this as it keeps the company going. 

I suspect that JLR will make some big decisions soon. We've been reminded a few times recently that in 2008/9 the business had to make some drastic decisions to protect its future. Factories were doing 3 or 4 day weeks and office staff did extra hours for a slight cut in pay. No complaints from me, I'll do what I can and if I am still in a job at the end of this then I'll consider myself extremely lucky.

16 minutes ago, sne said:

Gotta wonder is the above average number of young people in the US getting bad symptoms compared to other countries is down to the widespread smoking of weed?

It's probably better for your lungs than smoking regular tobacco but it's still not great for your lungs. And it seems like everyone over there is doing it all the time. Might be a lazy stereotype from me.

But if ever there was an incentive to stop smoking then now you have it.

Good question, now I'm not sure of the smoking rates in Germany/Denmark/Norway compared to France, but I presume there's more people in France and Italy who smoke? Maybe that's a contributor to the fact that these places are managing so well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I think this is exactly what the people we're buying from are thinking. They have had the house up for ages and never dropped the price. According to the estate agents they've rejected loads of offers. 

Hadn't even thought about our couple of low offers. Rejected them straight away.

Now they're suddenly looking like they're going to take an offer 20k below asking. I feel like they're thinking what you are, we better take that offer because we might not get close to it for a long time after all of this 

Yeah sounds like how i am thinking to be honest. The missus is saying she wont give it away for low and her brother owns half as well and he is a utter prick so i think they should accept at 635k but i dont think they will agree to this.

I have a feeling house prices are really going to plummet after this and they will be lucky to even get 625k by end of year. If it was in the process of being sold now me and the missus would be a in a good position.

The tining couldnt have come at worst time in that sense for me being selfish reasons!

In your case id withdraw for now if you dont need somewhere desperately as prices will drop significantly in the coming months

Â