Generic Virus Thread

villakram

30 minutes ago, Brumerican said:

Scoop the corn into some cling film. I'll give you 25g of Sudocreme for it.

Swap you for a lettuce? Can use the leaves as a bog roll substitute, but am telling you, it’s the tip of the Iceberg.

43 minutes ago, leighavfc said:

I agree mostly but tbh mate the NHS as a whole as bled money unnecessarily for absolute years. My missus and several family members have some absolute shocking tales of money literally been poured down the drain by total mismanagement from within. Far too many levels of management on massive wages who do the square root of F all for it either. Throwing money at it all the time is not necessarily always the answer to it, it needs to be managed correctly too.

Wouldn't disagree with any of that but none of it changes the fact that the Tories absolutely decimated social care, something that even Jeremy Hunt now acknowledges has had dire consequences on the NHS.

Just now, chrisp65 said:

This is basically you working from home here isn’t it?

We’re not your average gullible punters here matey.

I did say to a colleague that I might pitch my findings to McVities and see if they would be impressed and hire  us for future work ... but my in conclusion line  that “ people would rather eat bog roll than your dark chocolate biscuits” might need a rewrite 

• Like 1

Oh gawd, Hat Mancock will be doing his best Comical Ali impression on QT tonight

Could someone inform the emergency services that there may be a car crash in the vicinity at that time

Still no going to watch it though

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Ah, hold fire, that's just a preliminary apparently. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

• alert 66 new cases and 33 new deaths in the United Kingdom, of which 29 in England. Waiting for reports on new cases today. Official figures on the number of confirmed cases in England will be published later this afternoon, according to DHS [source] [source]
  •  

There are 643 new confirmed cases today with 144 deaths now in UK.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tayls said:

NB: purely selfish post...

supposed to be completing on a house purchase either tomorrow or early next week. Kinda don’t want to now! Dreading what’s gonna happen a bit further down the line, especially if one or both of my wife or I lose our jobs. 

Weve already ‘completed’ on our house sale, we exchange next week. Living with the in-laws currently. 

**** knows what I want to do right now. 

I don't think it's 'selfish' (in the pejorative way we'd usually use the term) to consider how events are going to affect you.

On a practical point, will the mortgage holiday stuff as put forward apply to you? I'd have thought so but one couldn't say for sure. I've had a little look around and I can't find the detail on this just the articles with the announcement.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tayls said:

supposed to be completing on a house purchase either tomorrow or early next week. Kinda don’t want to now! Dreading what’s gonna happen a bit further down the line, especially if one or both of my wife or I lose our jobs. 

Weve already ‘completed’ on our house sale, we exchange next week. Living with the in-laws currently. 

I know what I would do. Not complete, stay with in laws and hoard money. Sucks in the short term ay it.

• Like 2

Netflix to slow Europe transmissions to avoid broadband overload

Netflix has agreed to slow down the speed at which it delivers shows to subscribers to reduce its traffic across Europe by 25% – a measure that may affect picture quality for some viewers – in a deal with the EU to ensure that broadband networks perform adequately as millions of people confined to their homes go online.

Netflix chief executive Reed Hastings agreed to slow the bit rate at which it delivers programming, which determines the size and quality of video and audio files, across Europe and the UK for 30 days. Netflix has 51 million users across Europe, including 11 million in the UK.

...more

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

The only thing that concerns me more than basically being stuck in the house with nowhere to go for 3 months is knowing that the 3 month period is almost certainly a very optimistic figure picked to try to minimise panic.

Plenty of time in which to finish the Premier League season though!

• Like 1

On a similar note, I've been looking at houses with the OH for the last few weeks. 

Over the past couple we've made a couple of offers on one house, and I think we're pretty close to having one accepted.

Should I be doing this in this climate? Is it better to wait for it all to settle down?

My main reservation is my house was sold months ago so I have the deposit sat in my bank. If things go really tits up and one or both of us are out of a job or on unpaid leave, that money could come in handy.

Again I realise in the grand scheme of things this is a minor issue. We're very lucky really. But I'm feeling very uneasy about pushing forward with a house purchase (or the beginnings of one)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Have they? It didn't sound like that during their daily update but perhaps I heard it wrong.

Edit:

Why? It's a global issue.

I heard it on the radio, a clip from Trumps conference. He said it had been approved and waffled on about it being a nice drug and it’s been around for a long time and available immediately. Seems like the FDA have rolled it back a bit though and it’s approved for trials?

I’m guessing the export ban is to stop it being sold abroad for massive profit,  leaving us short to treat people here? I honestly don’t know?

Edited by wazzap24
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Get a new kitchen. The sellers definitely blew their noses in that sink.

I suggest everybody else does the same  if they TRULY love their families.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I know what I would do. Not complete, stay with in laws and hoard money. Sucks in the short term ay it.

2-3 months time the banks will be paying you to have a mortgage. New base rate is 0.1%

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

On a similar note, I've been looking at houses with the OH for the last few weeks. 

Over the past couple we've made a couple of offers on one house, and I think we're pretty close to having one accepted.

Should I be doing this in this climate? Is it better to wait for it all to settle down?

My main reservation is my house was sold months ago so I have the deposit sat in my bank. If things go really tits up and one or both of us are out of a job or on unpaid leave, that money could come in handy.

Again I realise in the grand scheme of things this is a minor issue. We're very lucky really. But I'm feeling very uneasy about pushing forward with a house purchase (or the beginnings of one)

Unless it was a fantastic deal I’d hold off. There will be some incredible mortgage deals in the next few months I think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It’s very unsettling to say the least. We did quite well out of our sale (which was one of the main reasons we decided to go through with it in the first place), so we have been able to put down a decent deposit and keep some back for ‘stuff’. However, to reach a point where we have to spend that money because we are not working, worries the hell out of me...

its just impossible to know what’s gonna happen. Massive gamble. 

Also don’t forget, can take months for a purchase to even get to the complete stage... so you can have your offer accepted and go with it for a bit... if you then need to pull out due to unforeseen  circumstances, then you can with little (to zero) financial loss... sucks for the vendor, but, that’s the game...

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, bickster said:

Oh gawd, Hat Mancock will be doing his best Comical Ali impression on QT tonight

Could someone inform the emergency services that there may be a car crash in the vicinity at that time

Still no going to watch it though

Watching it for you. We’ve been buying the first antibody test kits today, they’ve been approved in the last 2 days. They work like a pregnancy test but using a drop of blood instead of lady pee. 

CMO has been saying for days this would be a game changer for modelling the spread and seeing how many people have already had it asymptomatically. 

Â