Generic Virus Thread

villakram

34 minutes ago, Rodders said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51961624

Dickhead human beings. Should have some system of recording the cowards, listing their offences and then as soon as lockdown is over, throwing these words removed in jail, one week per incident of selfish cowardice. Now everyone HAS to get a shop in, just to ensure they have a enough to last through a shortfall. 

Pricks, the lot of them. Some communities need the army to go round and inspect garages and the hoarders get **** banned from supermarkets. 

What's the point in that article other than to strike more fear and panic into people?  Of course they're going to prioritise certain sausages over the **** chilli and melon ones or whatever you can get nowadays.  If everyone is sensible and yes, maybe eat little less or a little less adventurously we will get by.

I do fear there is still a perception in the public that this is only likely to affect people over 70 with underlying health conditions. I don't think it helps when things like the Tonight show on ITV focused on the coronavirus and older people and much of it was in a care home with people who made Prince Philip look like a teenager and who all had health problems. I can imagine my mom who is 75 sitting there watching that thinking that is who it will affect not me so I can certainly see much younger people thinking this whole thing is nothing to do with them.

Then you have the mixed messages from the government. Don't go to a pub/restaurant but they will still be open so those of you who fancy a pint and a meal fill your boots. 

This has the potential to very quickly get out of hand and run away from us. It needs a change in tone from the PM and for him to be much more forceful in what he is doing.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

Anyone see the British nurse who is in Bergamo in Italy on ITV news. Scary stuff. They no longer ventilate anyone over 70 and perhaps just as worrying is that he has never seen anyone who has been on a ventilator be weened off it in over two weeks. Those still alive all still need ventilation the longest one being 20 days.

It'll happen here, unless people just stay in. Boris needs to lock this down so hard - it's tough but it works. My daugher is still stuck in Vietnam - they've just stamped on it without a thought for civil liberty. I mean this approach too brutal for us, but zero deaths to date, lockdown works.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

My parents are in their 70s and I've already had to take them some stuff. They have a pre booked delivery next week but I doubt they would get another.

Sainsbury's said they will be prioritising delivery for over 70s. Trying to sort this for my parents and wonder if the Nectar card is how they'll guess someone's age.

8 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yes yes really yes. 

Selfish pillocks. 

The pillocks are the people who saw this happen in Wuhan, saw it get out of China, saw it balloon in N Italy, saw the frantic social media posts from Italian medics - in English - that this was a deadly virus and to prepare ourselves , but still acted like it was no big deal.

The government dropped the ball in terms of not acting soon enough, but too few people took responsibility for their own sh*t. This is the result. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Awol said:

The pillocks are the people who saw this happen in Wuhan, saw it get out of China, saw it balloon in N Italy, saw the frantic social media posts from Italian medics - in English - that this was a deadly virus and to prepare ourselves , but still acted like it was no big deal.

The government dropped the ball in terms of not acting soon enough, but too few people took responsibility for their own sh*t. This is the result. 

If people didn't take responsibility for their own shit and bought as normal with perhaps a pinch of extra there would still be plenty of everything for everyone as there always is.  It's a self fulfilling prophesy.  People go out and buy everything and everything has gone.  Then they say see I was right to buy everything because everything has now gone. 

• Like 2

Just now, sidcow said:

If people didn't take responsibility for their own shit and bought as normal with perhaps a pinch of extra there would still be plenty of everything for everyone as there always is.  It's a self fulfilling prophesy.  People go out and buy everything and everything has gone.  Then they say see I was right to buy everything because everything has now gone. 

Maybe those people panic buying now have realised they don’t fancy strolling round Sainsbury’s in 2-3 weeks time, when the infection rate is 10-20 times higher and the hospitals are collapsing? 

Once people wised up to what was happening and s*it themselves this was inevitable. 

• Thanks 1

Given that we have had the advantage of being behind other countries so could hopefully learn from what has happened/is happening there I can see there being quite a backlash if we end up having gotten this wrong and not introduced measures soon enough. Of course a contributory factor will also be that our health service didn't start with the same capacity in terms of ICU beds per capita as many other countries.

Edited by markavfc40

16 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

This has the potential to very quickly get out of hand and run away from us. It needs a change in tone from the PM and for him to be much more forceful in what he is doing.

It's too late Mark, Its began. London will be overrun by this time next week. 

My personal charts have us 10/12 days away from over 4 figure bracket fatalities. 

• Like 1

Just thinking about what the British nurse working in Bergamo in Italy said today that he has never seen a patient weened off a ventilator in over 2 weeks and that there are patients who have been on them 20 days. It is possible given we have 3269 confirmed cases, 144 deaths and it was reported yesterday that less than 100 had recovered that we have a lot of people already on ventilators and likely to stay on them for weeks given what we know from Italy. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Agree. There is no issue with supply. Its the selfish dickheads who have bought out and continue to buy out everything that continues to cause the shortages.

• Like 2

Anyone see the report from the hospital in Italy just on Sky news. It is really frightening. As many people that go in die as live. It will probably be on again at 1am. Certainly brings it home to you what we are facing.

15 minutes ago, Awol said:

Maybe those people panic buying now have realised they don’t fancy strolling round Sainsbury’s in 2-3 weeks time, when the infection rate is 10-20 times higher and the hospitals are collapsing? 

Once people wised up to what was happening and s*it themselves this was inevitable. 

I ain't going to argue with you longer. Enjoy your bog roll. 

20 minutes ago, Awol said:

I wouldn't be giving these people an inch of justification, but to be a bit hypocritical, I will be hoarding all my inches for my impending self isolation.

48 minutes ago, coda said:

Sainsbury's said they will be prioritising delivery for over 70s. Trying to sort this for my parents and wonder if the Nectar card is how they'll guess someone's age.

As long as you add some Werther's Originals to the basket you should get express delivery.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The panic buyers have become a convenient target for the usual Facebook grandstanders, but they are a side show.

The core problem is Boris's unwillingness to attack this problem head on. Crises like these call for an obsessive - someone like Margaret Thatcher or Gordon Brown, who for all their faults would have been working 20 hour days to sort this out. Boris is too much of a people pleaser. He looks visibly uneasy whenever Chris Whitty tries to inject some realism into a press conference.

• Like 4

I started feeling gastrointestinal discomfort about 36 hours ago, which is one of the common early symptoms, but typically accompanying respiratory issues, of which I don't have any (even though I've had 2 bouts with pneumonia in the past). So, I'm not going to worry right now.

Â