Generic Virus Thread

villakram

5 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

I heard it on the radio, a clip from Trumps conference. He said it had been approved and waffled on about it being a nice drug and it’s been around for a long time and available immediately. Seems like the FDA have rolled it back a bit though and it’s approved for trials?

Yes, I don't think anyone ought to go with what Trump said in the press conference.

There was a lot of talk about drugs and tests in trials. Trump's comments didn't often seem to convey the same message as his medical experts (or even Pence!).

7 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

I’m guessing the export ban is to stop it being sold abroad for massive profit,  leaving us short to treat people here? I honestly don’t know?

I struggle with this, though. If it's being produced by the people developing it in the UK then they're the only ones going to be exporting it.

Sure, if you want to say that you'd like production to satisfy home demand first before export then I get that (though it doesn't sit right as I'm sure there's possibilities to do things in parallel) but export bans sound iffy at best.

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

On a similar note, I've been looking at houses with the OH for the last few weeks. 

Over the past couple we've made a couple of offers on one house, and I think we're pretty close to having one accepted.

Should I be doing this in this climate? Is it better to wait for it all to settle down?

My main reservation is my house was sold months ago so I have the deposit sat in my bank. If things go really tits up and one or both of us are out of a job or on unpaid leave, that money could come in handy.

Again I realise in the grand scheme of things this is a minor issue. We're very lucky really. But I'm feeling very uneasy about pushing forward with a house purchase (or the beginnings of one)

Whilst it may be a minor issue in that it's not life or death, it's still important. These are circumstance in which a lot of people will find themselves and the potential repercussions are huge.

It's why the clarity about mortgage holidays (and lots of other things) needs to be there so that people don't have to worry about stuff like this - at least over and above making a decision based on the new reality.

If you or Tayls (as the two examples on VT) don't know how things are due to work then you're left to make a call without the full facts which isn't good at all.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I "liked" this and immediately felt terrible about it.

Thank you for the update though.

In 2-3 weeks we’ll look back at this as a ‘good’ day. 

• Like 1

Back to the Johnson 'turn the tide' stuff.

It seems to me that it is important to listen to the end of the pc, i.e. his answer to the last question.

It's been an hour or two, but it seemed like he was saying, in response to the question of what 'turning the tide' actually meant, that it was about being on the slope coming down from the peak. And he also stressed that this was if people were following the advice already put out, i.e. the advised against/strongly advised against social contact, &c.

Whilst it is, actually, a positive message (if it actually turns out to be right - don't forget no one can be predicting the future) - it is a positive message over time and with distinct caveats. I'm not sure many or enough people hear that.

So where are we in terms of finding a proper treatment for this, has there been a defined concoction of drugs that seems to work in treating some of the serious cases? 

Guessing we are still years off a proper vaccine also.... 

2 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Back to the Johnson 'turn the tide' stuff.

It seems to me that it is important to listen to the end of the pc, i.e. his answer to the last question.

It's been an hour or two, but it seemed like he was saying, in response to the question of what 'turning the tide' actually meant, that it was about being on the slope coming down from the peak. And he also stressed that this was if people were following the advice already put out, i.e. the advised against/strongly advised against social contact, &c.

Whilst it is, actually, a positive message (if it actually turns out to be right - don't forget no one can be predicting the future) - it is a positive message over time and with distinct caveats. I'm not sure many or enough people hear that.

Leaving aside the cases like @LakotaDakota who are being left out of the stats, the folks unlucky enough to be on that graph are hospital admissions in a bad way. It’s roughly doubling every 3 days and we’ve got at least two weeks of similar increases baked in before new measures have any effect. You can do the maths but we’re in for a rough ride, Johnson is (perhaps unsurprisingly) a bit squeamish about spelling it out in public. 

24450A1A-DDE2-47BF-9182-8FCCA9590596.png

• Like 3

1 minute ago, LakotaDakota said:

Think the supermarkets should really be looking at sorting out some one click hampers asap, £30-50 bundles including Pack of andrex, couple of packets of paracetamol, water, soup, beans,pasta/noodles, bag of veg, salad, toothpaste, biscuits etc. Just have warehouses crating up loads of the same stuff, fill the vans & just have them back & forth delivering all day/evening as they do now. Much quicker & efficient if people are just having the same thing. Obviously they could have a few different choices for veggies/vegans/intolerancies etc but it would probably make sense. Log on to website, click parcel 1 & the next day it is on your doorstep.

Would, or at least should stop some of the chaos going on in some of the shops

Aren't most supermarket deliveries done from store rather than warehouse?

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Wouldn't disagree with any of that but none of it changes the fact that the Tories absolutely decimated social care, something that even Jeremy Hunt now acknowledges has had dire consequences on the NHS.

Yeah I do agree with that tbf 

1 minute ago, Awol said:

Johnson is (perhaps unsurprisingly) a bit squeamish about spelling it out in public

I agree, Jon. And, though it may not seem like it, I'm not unsympathetic to that predicament.

My comments were just to clarify what I heard from the PC today.

54 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Aren't most supermarket deliveries done from store rather than warehouse?

honestly no idea, Something needs to be done though. Can't leave the house for 2 weeks. Looking at booking a delivery from morrisons, The first slot available is 10-11pm on Saturday April 4th.

Thankyou to people offering to help, We're ok at the moment & have people who can help with stuff so should hopefully be fine but when people are being told to stay indoors and you can't get an online delivery for over 2 weeks people are just going to go out and take their chances.

Edited by LakotaDakota

32 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Yes, I don't think anyone ought to go with what Trump said in the press conference.

There was a lot of talk about drugs and tests in trials. Trump's comments didn't often seem to convey the same message as his medical experts (or even Pence!).

I struggle with this, though. If it's being produced by the people developing it in the UK then they're the only ones going to be exporting it.

Sure, if you want to say that you'd like production to satisfy home demand first before export then I get that (though it doesn't sit right as I'm sure there's possibilities to do things in parallel) but export bans sound iffy at best.

Yeah, I don’t know why I didn’t  check the Trump thing first to be honest! 

I have zero knowledge on the drug thing or what general policy is, but Chloroquine was added to the list on 26/2 and Hydroxychloroquine on the 14/3

Lopinavir & Ritonavir were also added on 26/2, although I’ve read somewhere further trials on these have proven ineffective.

List of medicines that cannot be parallel exported from the UK

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/872567/medicines_that_cannot_be_parallel_exported_from_the_uk_13_march_2020.csv/preview

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

On a similar note, I've been looking at houses with the OH for the last few weeks. 

Over the past couple we've made a couple of offers on one house, and I think we're pretty close to having one accepted.

Should I be doing this in this climate? Is it better to wait for it all to settle down?

My main reservation is my house was sold months ago so I have the deposit sat in my bank. If things go really tits up and one or both of us are out of a job or on unpaid leave, that money could come in handy.

Again I realise in the grand scheme of things this is a minor issue. We're very lucky really. But I'm feeling very uneasy about pushing forward with a house purchase (or the beginnings of one)

I wouldn't mate if you can at least delay or more ideally pull out. The market could and probably will crash at any point really, you literally could be losing 10's of thousands pounds in a matter of hours/days/weeks depending on how fast things drop. A friend of mine has had to pull out this week upon the realisation of how serious this about to become, he was literally at contract stage this week and is gutted about it. He realised that losing the fees etc were so much a smaller hit than going through and being in negative equity from the off in the new place.

58 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

There are 643 new confirmed cases today with 144 deaths now in UK.

3269 known cases, So thats probably well over 10k now with the untested! 

2 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

honestly no idea, Something needs to be done though. Can't leave the house for 2 weeks. Looking at booking a delivery from morrisons, The first slot available is 10-11pm on Saturday April 4th

If your local mate I'm sure some of us can help you out and get something to you? PM me if you wish and il see what I can do mate 

2 minutes ago, leighavfc said:

If your local mate I'm sure some of us can help you out and get something to you? PM me if you wish and il see what I can do mate 

Thanks, We're ok at the moment & have people who can help with stuff but when people are being told to stay indoors and you can't get an online delivery for over 2 weeks people are just going to go out and take their chances. I had a quick look on amazon earlier. Their entire pantry selection consisted of 1 king sized pot noodle.

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, snowychap said:

My comments were just to clarify what I heard from the PC today.

I got, ‘if everyone does everything we ask, then hopefully, maybe, we’ll be over the worst of it by the end of June. If not..’ 

I don’t think the strategy has fundamentally changed. No vaccine realistically available this year and a deep fear of a second - worse - peak going into the winter. 

Still pushing for herd immunity before then. 

4 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

honestly no idea, Something needs to be done though. Can't leave the house for 2 weeks. Looking at booking a delivery from morrisons, The first slot available is 10-11pm on Saturday April 4th

Ouch.

So as to not lose your post in here, do you want to bung it in the pinned thread in case there's anyone nearby who can help?

Â