Generic Virus Thread

villakram

1 minute ago, snowychap said:

Ouch.

So as to not lose your post in here, do you want to bung it in the pinned thread in case there's anyone nearby who can help?

honestly we're ok, Have friends,family,neighbours all able to help at the moment and we're reasonably stocked up for now anyway. Just highlighting the situation in general. If i want a proper shop delivered to my house from the supermarket that i can walk to in 3 minutes the earliest they can do is nearly 18 days away

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Awol said:

I got, ‘if everyone does everything we ask, then hopefully, maybe, we’ll be over the worst of it by the end of June. If not..’ 

I don’t think the strategy has fundamentally changed. No vaccine realistically available this year and a deep fear of a second - worse - peak going into the winter. 

Still pushing for herd immunity before then.

Yep, that's pretty much what I heard, too.

Eek.

16 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Think the supermarkets should really be looking at sorting out some one click hampers asap, £30-50 bundles including Pack of andrex, couple of packets of paracetamol, water, soup, beans,pasta/noodles, bag of veg, salad, toothpaste, biscuits etc. Just have warehouses crating up loads of the same stuff, fill the vans & just have them back & forth delivering all day/evening as they do now. Much quicker & efficient if people are just having the same thing. Obviously they could have a few different choices for veggies/vegans/intolerancies etc but it would probably make sense. Log on to website, click parcel 1 & the next day it is on your doorstep.

Would, or at least should stop some of the chaos going on in some of the shops

Said this myself last week, its bonkers they haven't with all the panic buying going on. You would think Amazon or somebody would have come up with this already!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

This is precisely the problem we're looking at solving. You shop online using click and collect etc, then book a cab to bring it to you.

We know the problem exists and the supermarkets don't have the resources to do all the delivery slots required as they only have enough staff and vehicles. You just pay the taxi fare from the supermarket to your house. Most drivers accept contacless payments or just push the cash through the letterbox when he arrives. it's not hard to disinfect the chip and pin machine straight away

We look like we've got a couple of Supermarkets on board already from diferent chains, they just need to go higher up to get approval, once thats in place we can code the additions to the website in under a week. Once that starts, other's in chains will also get on board.

This will be massive, great thinking 👍🏼 Good luck hope they get you on board. Will help loads of people out.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

honestly no idea, Something needs to be done though. Can't leave the house for 2 weeks. Looking at booking a delivery from morrisons, The first slot available is 10-11pm on Saturday April 4th

Where are you based. Genuine offer if I can help and you are relatively close. 

It seems to me like Chris Whitty (the technocrat) is really pushing for a more negative, realistic tone to the press conferences, and Boris (the populist) is keen to be optimistic.

I'd be more inclined to go with the technocrat. People won't forgive Boris if he misleads them into taking life-changing / fatal risks.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

honestly we're ok, Have friends,family,neighbours all able to help at the moment and we're reasonably stocked up for now anyway. Just highlighting the situation in general. If i want a proper shop delivered to my house from the supermarket that i can walk to in 3 minutes the earliest they can do is nearly 18 days away

Most supermarkets are offering preferential deliveries to those, tested positive, self  isolating or key workers, there might be a code you have to put into the system when you check out.  Might be worth a check online to see how it works 

Anyone see the British nurse who is in Bergamo in Italy on ITV news. Scary stuff. They no longer ventilate anyone over 70 and perhaps just as worrying is that he has never seen anyone who has been on a ventilator be weened off it in over two weeks. Those still alive all still need ventilation the longest one being 20 days.

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Anyone see the British nurse who is in Bergamo in Italy on ITV news. Scary stuff. They no longer ventilate anyone over 70 and perhaps just as worrying is that he has never seen anyone who has been on a ventilator be weened off it in over two weeks. Those still alive all still need ventilation the longest one being 20 days.

What is rage-inducing is that there were doctors in Bergamo two weeks ago, painstakingly detailing what was going on for the benefit of the outside world. A lot of it was translated into English.

Not enough people paid attention. They warned about all of the things that have since transpired here:

• non-compliance with social distancing measures
  • complacency among policymakers / media which fuels complacency among population
  • misinterpretation of "slow" growth rates which are in fact consistent with ultra-fast spread
  • overload of available medical resources
  • large numbers of young patients in intensive care
  • very long occupation of ICUs / ventilators

I'm glad I went into "lockdown" with my family early last week after reading a particularly harrowing account of the situation in Lombardy. But solving this problem will require clear, strictly enforced rules, not half-arsed suggestions that the dumb, ignorant and selfish can freely ignore.

• Like 2

Supermarkets and their supply chains are beginning to buckle under the strain of customer behaviour in the face of coronavirus.

Several chains are "drastically cutting" the product ranges in store.

They also said they were telling their manufacturers to ignore making some products to focus on those for which there is greatest demand.

Meanwhile, competition laws are being relaxed so shops can discuss stock levels and pool staff and resources.

"We currently sell 60 types of sausages - we are moving to a fraction of that," said one supermarket.

Another said: "We need to make food manufacture as efficient as possible - it makes no sense to pause to change packet sizes or change from one type of pasta to another.

"We have 20 different sizes and styles of pasta, we are moving that to six."

Morrisons have reduced their bakery lines from 17 to seven.

While executives insisted there was no shortage of food, they were struggling to restock shelves fast enough. Meanwhile, online delivery services are running at "maximum capacity".

Meanwhile, the government has announced competition laws will be temporarily relaxed to allow supermarkets to pool resources and data.

This means they can share distribution depots and delivery vans and discuss stock levels. They will also be able to pool staff to meet demand.

Rules around drivers' hours have also been loosened to help shops can deliver more food to stores, while the 5p plastic bag charge is being waived for online orders to speed up deliveries.

However, there were warnings that the next potential weak link in the chain is at food manufacturers themselves. If production gets hit by staff absences that will mark the beginning of a new and potentially serious supply chain problem.

"We are not there yet but that is the next big worry."

Supermarkets also said they were having to use additional security staff in store to ensure customer behaviour did not get out of hand.

"Most people are sensible but some aren't."

They said that there had been no discussions as yet with the government about a police presence in store but it was a "subject that was being discussed internally

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51961624

Dickhead human beings. Should have some system of recording the cowards, listing their offences and then as soon as lockdown is over, throwing these words removed in jail, one week per incident of selfish cowardice. Now everyone HAS to get a shop in, just to ensure they have a enough to last through a shortfall. 

Pricks, the lot of them. Some communities need the army to go round and inspect garages and the hoarders get **** banned from supermarkets. 

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 2

It is mothers day on Sunday and you'd imagine whilst the pubs/restaurants won't be as busy as they usually would on mothers day if they are allowed to still open then many could well be pretty busy still. Add to that it is also obviously always much busier on a weekend in pubs etc anyone think there is a chance tomorrow they will be instructed to close.

Spoke to my 90 year old grandma today (over the phone) and she told me this whole thing reminded her of the outbreak of WWII. She was only a child of course, but she said she clearly remembers everybody stockpiling food and supplies, often to ludicrous degrees.

Plus ça change...

I wonder if the government will have to step in and implement temporary price controls for certain categories of essential good (e.g. paracetemol). The problem with food is that nowadays people eat such varied diets, it would be a nightmare to decide what counts as "essential". And no doubt businesses are struggling with increased supply costs, and will want to reflect that somehow in their prices. It's tough to strike the right balance.

18 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Dickhead human beings. Should have some system of recording the cowards, listing their offences and then as soon as lockdown is over, throwing these words removed in jail, one week per incident of selfish cowardice. Now everyone HAS to get a shop in, just to ensure they have a enough to last through a shortfall. 

Pricks, the lot of them. Some communities need the army to go round and inspect garages and the hoarders get **** banned from supermarkets. 

No, no, no. Really, no.

• Like 3

Being reported Lewish and Grenwich Hospital in London is having to turn coronavirus patients away as it can't cope. Apparently London is already on the brink of being overwhelmed. Then you also have it being reported plenty of people in London are still going about as if nothing has changed. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Sad 1

We've done absolutely no panic buying.  Been to every supermarket in our area which is all the majors every day since Saturday and not seen in one of them any toilet roll, hand soap or paracetamol. 

Can't get any home delivery from the service I use, Morissons which is double annoying because that is literally the only place I can buy my favorite beer from.  That's actually what I really need to buy! 

I said to Mrs Sidcow earlier, the irony is if you had to self isolate now, the only way that you would be able to get through would be if you DID panic buy and stock up.  How are old couple with no relatives or friendly neighbours supposed to get by? My parents are in their 70s and I've already had to take them some stuff. They have a pre booked delivery next week but I doubt they would get another.

Toilet roll better arrive in the next few days or it's time to look for dock leaves in the garden!

Here's a bad/sad news story:

'Don't take any chances, just look at me': Fit-and-healthy gym-goer, 39, struggles to breathe
Edited out "...you need your phucking lungs!"

• Sad 2

Â