Generic Virus Thread

villakram

20 minutes ago, snowychap said:

It's no surprise he continues to act the buffoon when it was enough to get him the job. He's never shown a great deal of competence in his other roles, why start now?

One of the biggest crises in decades and we have BoJo the clown at the helm. He makes me long for the relatively heady days of Dave and Gideon.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Kingman said:

WTF!.. From **** Monday Mr Hancock? 

NHS will tell 1.4 million Britons to self-isolate from Monday

Over a million Brits will be told to self-isolate against coronavirus on Monday. Matt Hancock says NHS will contact vulnerable people and tell them what to do.

Speaking today, Health Secretary Matt Hancock revealed that Brits classed as vulnerable will be contacted by the NHS and told what specific actions they need to take to protect themselves from the killer virus. 

Daily Mail 

My other half is neutropenic. If she catches this, she'll be in ICU, and lucky to ever come out. She works in a hospital and has been told if she doesn't go in, it'll be considered unauthorised sickness, and they're currently trying to get her to do more clinical shifts on the front lines, putting her at even greater risk. It's **** disgusting. 

I've got enough savings for her to tell them to **** off and refuse to go  in,  and she can find another job, but they're going all in on the heroism angle and shaming clinicians in to working themselves in to the grave.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Kingman said:

It's unbelievable that pubs and restaurants have not been told to close and still taking bookings for Mother's Day! 

This is not a movie, this is not just happening to other people, we are now 10/12 days from being an Italy. 

Plenty of things to kill you in life but PLEASE, DO NOT DIE OF IGNORANCE!!!

Stay safe everyone!

Those scientists etc advising the government obviously weigh this up but your average 10 year old would see it as logical that given the virus is now in to the high tens if not hundreds of thousands that allowing pubs/clubs/restaurants to stay open over the weekend, including mothers day on Sunday, is only go to make this spread quicker. Just a few hundred more people needlessly getting it now would make it more likely the NHS will be overwhelmed much sooner.

• Like 1

Don't know how other folks are doing around the country but in my area people started shutting down and going nowhere near pubs and cafes etc early this week - we took the kids out of school before being told to as well (we are fortunate we could) cannot believe some of those pictures of London tubes full of people - I know some have no choice to get to work but London does feel slightly as though it's in denial, going to be horrible there soon.

5 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I've been out shopping 5 or 6 times this week to try and get toilet roll and can't get any. Must have been to about 7 different shops in total including m&s. It's so dumb.

Grab a stack of Metros.

Or Rizla if you have the skill.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I've been out shopping 5 or 6 times this week to try and get toilet roll and can't get any. Must have been to about 7 different shops in total including m&s. It's so dumb.

You can get a bidet attachments of all sorts dependent on budget all available on Amazon.  I really don't get the loo roll stockpiling, there are loads of ways to clean your butt that don't involve handfuls of wadded paper.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Silly as it seams try your local estate shops, 

I have managed to get everything from my local corner shop, even toilet roll, hand wash, eggs, paracetamol etc that are empty in the supermarkets. 

Life tip, If No toilet roll just buy kitchen roll then cut it in half! 

2 for 1 Aye it!.. 

• Like 1

Also the local Asian/halal markets all seem to be stocked.  People have been avoiding Asian stores since the start of this crisis, they are stocked full of lovely fresh and tasty foods, bags of rice so big you could feed a family of 4 for a month on one maybe two bags.  The people running these stores are no more or less likely to have been exposed to the virus than your average Tesco employee.  To be frank they are probably less exposed simply because they deal with less people.  I've hardly had to change my shopping habits at all, I shop at my leisure along stocked shelves in empty aisles as people stay away.

Edited by Straggler
spelling
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Does anyone in the UK have a bidet? I have only seen them abroad. 

You don't have to have a separate thing you can get a little attachment that goes on your loo.  They are becoming more popular here and if you have ever been to Japan you will know why they are catching on.

Getting a bit worried. 

I'm a teacher and my wife works in the NHS. We have 4 year old twins and because they aren't in pre school fulltime it looks like we will have to continue relying on grandparents. Which is shit because both our parents are getting on and we wanted to remove them from that pressure. 

I was hoping the school closure would mean school numbers would be down so that I could be in some days and work from home others. With the government's definition of key worker and only one parent needing to be one it looks like our school will still have large numbers in next week meaning lots of staff needed. 

Worried I'm more inclined to get in and my parents will also suffer to help with our children. 

3 minutes ago, Straggler said:

They are becoming more popular here and if you have ever been to Japan you will know why they are catching on.

we did a lads trip in Spain a few years back and our hotel room toilet indeed had the nozzle that squirted water  into the mahogany slide

only negative was everyone else in our group kept wanting to come to our room  to do  their business

Never used a bidet, but surely you end up with VERY wet arse, and water running down the backs of your legs - so you have to dry with a towel. And if tbe spray has left even the tiniest bit of shite behind... ewww. 

• Like 2

Guessing us city dwellers are finding it easier to source groceries than elsewhere? One supermarket often serves a lot of territory around market towns.

The clusters of small shops around here seem largely unaffected. Maybe because they're using a diverse selection of cash and carries?

Photo1494.jpg.ccb3060b168e66f5e1f272ca8f5e4c0a.jpg

49 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

My other half is neutropenic. If she catches this, she'll be in ICU, and lucky to ever come out. She works in a hospital and has been told if she doesn't go in, it'll be considered unauthorised sickness, and they're currently trying to get her to do more clinical shifts on the front lines, putting her at even greater risk. It's **** disgusting. 

I've got enough savings for her to tell them to **** off and refuse to go  in,  and she can find another job, but they're going all in on the heroism angle and shaming clinicians in to working themselves in to the grave.

Illegal mate, Record it all and document it as its unlawful if she is on the vulnerable list, Will be constructive dismissal and help you build a solid case for compensation when it blows over. 

All employers have a duty of care to protect staff from the risks and exposures of the workplace by implementing control measures that are seen as reasonably as practical. 

HSE

The HSE has published guidance for employers on protecting home workers – read it here.

Government Advice 

BEIS has updated their guidance for employers, employees and businesses during the pandemic: Click here 

CAS Webinars for Employers

Employers can join a free ACAS webinar ‘Coronavirus – an advisory webinar for employers’. The webinar provides practical advice for employers to help manage the impact of coronavirus in the workplace. It includes:-

• steps that can help reduce the spread of the virus
  • effective ways of communicating with employees
  • self-isolating, time off, sickness certification and sick pay
  • altering working hours, shift patterns and working arrangements
  • remote working and the use of technology 

Businesses can find out more and register here

Â