Generic Virus Thread

villakram

Anyone else think that today's presser seems like they are just trying to calm everyone down, seems like they are putting the onus on defeating this entirely on people staying at home.

Seems like it is certainly being played down in comparison to the pressers of the last few days.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

Anyone else think that today's presser seems like they are just trying to calm everyone down, seems like they are putting the onus on defeating this entirely on people staying at home.

Seems like it is certainly being played down in comparison to the pressers of the last few days.

I’d say it felt more optimistic than previous ones , could be playing it down as you say 

3 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

The only thing that concerns me more than basically being stuck in the house with nowhere to go for 3 months is knowing that the 3 month period is almost certainly a very optimistic figure picked to try to minimise panic.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

They won’t share it, but I’d love to see where we were against NHS capacity. 

I'm told there are literally 0 empty hospital beds in QMC and City Hospital (NUH). I can't imagine we're much of an outlier. 

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I'm told there are literally 0 empty hospital beds in QMC and City Hospital (NUH). I can't imagine we're much of an outlier. 

If there were no beds then they’d have to initiate lockdown. 

*personally* I’ve been really quite impressed with the tone and clarity of the communications so far since they started these briefings. In particular then experts, but also Boris and the Chancellor I felt spoke very (unexpectedly) well - and to be clear I was very anti them before this kicked off.

Today was a poor showing I felt. He just regret that random 12 week comment, and it felt much more obviously ‘on the hoof’ and David Brent-like. Hopefully they get their act together again from now on.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, brommy said:

Stopped at Asda Oldbury on way home from work at 5:50 this morning. 15 minute queue to get in the store. Got a few things that were unavailable yesterday but still no pasta and rice, whilst the single ‘cage’ of meat and poultry was being taken before the hard working Asda woman could put it on the shelves. Many items limited to between 1 and 3 per customer (correctly so in my opinion). 15 minute wait at the checkout - felt weird at 6:50 in the morning.

Good news: shoppers were generally patient and calm.

Not good news: ‘social distancing’ was non-existent.

On a good note (I think), during my regular nightly M5 & M6 commute from Worcestershire to Greater Manchester, I noted that whilst the number of cars looked about 50% fewer, the number of lorries appeared about 25% greater. Hopefully this is a good sign that the distribution supply chain has stepped up to help meet the ridiculous demand of this current stockpiling phase. Hopefully the stockpiling will ease once people’s fridges, freezers and cupboards are full.

Morrisons in Aldridge was quiet at 11am today. Plenty of milk, meat, painkillers, etc. Only thing missing was bum paper. 

I think everyone thinks they need to get there early to get stuff when the reality is deliveries happen all day. 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

If there were no beds then they’d have to initiate lockdown. 

I have no independent source, it's come from someone at the trust who I work with, I took them at their word, but can't confirm anything myself.

Just now, Djemba_Villan said:

*personally* I’ve been really quite impressed with the tone and clarity of the communications so far since they started these briefings. In particular then experts, but also Boris and the Chancellor I felt spoke very (unexpectedly) well - and to be clear I was very anti them before this kicked off.

Today was a poor showing I felt. He just regret that random 12 week comment, and it felt much more obviously ‘on the hoof’ and David Brent-like. Hopefully they get their act together again from now on.

I agree on that I have been impressed with the content and tone of the communication as well as the economic response. There will always be people who can pick holes in whatever anyone says but I don’t think he has done much wrong.

I guess he was under pressure to give some scope about the social distancing measures. They have growing amounts of data, and model various scenarios going forwards. There will be an element of fact behind the 12 week estimate, but it’s far from fact.

• Like 3

Its all a numbers game. The number of ventilators and the ability to use them need to match the rate of people who need them to recover.

Our figures dont help as only people who need ventilators are being tested and these will be old and the ill. The percentage of these that die despite being on a ventilator looks to be around 4% .

Real data will only be available when we can start testing the general population and then we can work out how many we will need to treat with ventilators as a percentage of the overall population. 

My guess is we are well short of ventilators and to avoid having patients die for lack of basic equipment (ventilators) we need the virus to spread very slowly . Is this going to happen and how long will it take is the next question and can we afford to be in lockdown while we trickle patients through an underfunded health service?  No

The price of  ventilators has suddenly gone from seeming to be  very expensive to a very cheap option. Having more of them would have  allowed the virus to be released quickly and the lockdown period being shorter saving the economy billions.

29 minutes ago, Genie said:

There will always be people who can pick holes in whatever anyone says but I don’t think he has done much wrong.

And there will always be people just willing to ignore huge holes that actually really, really matter.

That's not to say that there have not been things done that have not been appropriate, or things said and announced in the press conferences that have also not been good or appropriate but rather to say that there absolutely have been things said in and parts of the press conferences that have been appalling.

Questioning and criticising some things does not translate to criticism of everything. Writing off that criticism, however, does largely translate to acceptance of everything.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I think someone on the bbc earlier said that there was still 10% of the beds in the nhs available. Doesn’t sound right to me but I was on a work call at the time so I might have misheard it. 

We have about 6000 ventilators, supposedly. This is why the government basically begged any and all manufacturers to put capacity towards producing components for making more ASAP. 

Capacity generally is the problem. The disease overwhelms medical systems if efforts aren't made to quell it. It's a significant part of the reason the Italians are struggling. It's hit them hard and kept spiralling from there.

Â