Generic Virus Thread

villakram

22 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The effect of lockdowns will take several days to show up in the data; I wouldn't read much into how it is working yet. It would be very surprising if lockdowns didn't make some substantial difference.

Worked in China and South Korea

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, bickster said:

Utter Bellend

EDIT: He's also now decided that it was an unwise tweet because it could be misinterpretted (He see's that now)

Just came to read this, is he actually parading the fact that 35 UK citizens have died and 1400 are ill?

Are we supposed to congratulate him?

25 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Our death rates are soon going to start to look terrible though.

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

From the thread @wilko154 posted:

So, someone who is extremely likely to have coronavirus, but not tested, because we've decided not to bother most of the time any more, yet there's Tory MP's doing victory laps on Twitter about the rate of infection:

I don't even know what the strategy is ...

Wash your hands and sing happy birthday

...and don't go on a cruise if you're over 70 

.......if that works we will be the luckiest nation on earth !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

I think the bellend realised the numbers were against him

He probably couldn't help being a dick. His surname is Roberts and his parents called him Robert. He had no chance. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/03/2020 at 10:09, wazzap24 said:

@Risso

how you getting on with the home-brew hand gel? 

I’ve made some today using isopropanol and pure Aloe Gel, but I’m not sure it’s worked properly

The Aloe Gel hasn’t really mixed in very well and now it looks like bits of spunk floating about in the alcohol!! 

I mean it probably still does the job, but not sure if I’m doing something wrong!? 

Similar here, it doesn't mix brilliantly, but give it a really good shake and it's not too bad.  It's definitely runnier than the properly made sanitiser gel, but as long as the alcohol content is high enough, it'll do the job.  It seems to evaporate on my hands in the same way as the commercial stuff.

• Like 3

Bit more detailed info on the fatalities in Italy so far. *spoilers* if you’re under 30 you’ll be fine, under 50 a very good chance of being fine - where fine = alive post-infection. For older folks, not so much. 

• Thanks 2

Singapore Says U.K. Is Not Trying to Contain the Coronavirus

The U.K. and Switzerland are effectively not trying to combat the coronavirus and cases there are likely to surge in the coming weeks, a Singapore minister said.

“One concern we have with cases such as U.K. and Switzerland isn’t just about the numbers. It is that these countries have abandoned any measure to contain or restrain the virus,” Minister for National Development Lawrence Wong said at a press briefing Sunday as the island republic imposed a two-week self-isolation for arrivals from the two countries. “If there’s no attempt to contain, we estimate the number of cases in these countries to rise significantly in the coming days and weeks.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-15/u-k-not-trying-to-contain-coronavirus-singapore-minister-says 

• Sad 2

Donald Trump 'offers to pay German company creating experimental coronavirus vaccine to move to the US

and make it exclusively only for the United States

German officials are trying to stop the Trump administration from luring German biopharmeceutical company CureVac to the US to get its experimental coronavirus vaccines exclusively for Americans.

An unidentified German government source told the paper Trump is trying to secure the scientists' work exclusively, and would do anything to get a vaccine for the United States - 'but only for the United States.' 

Daily Mail 

3 minutes ago, leighavfc said:

92% closed cases survive. Currently 8% have died worldwide

I’m not sure the fatality rates are accurate as it’s widely regarded that there are far more people with the virus than are showing in the data. Obviously any deaths are bad news, but I suspect the fatality percentage is actually lower.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kingman said:

French cases doubled over the last 72 hours to about 4,500 on Saturday. There have been 91 deaths, and 300 coronavirus patients are in critical condition — half of them under 60 years of age.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/15/world/coronavirus-live.html 

You'd assume, or perhaps wishful thinking, that most of those 300 under 60 had underlying health issues. It puts paid to the lets just isolate those over 70. Surely we know enough from what is happening around the world and here and based on that from the top there should already have been an instruction that those with certain health issues should be in isolation now and defiantly if over 70 with health issues.

37 minutes ago, Risso said:

Similar here, it doesn't mix brilliantly, but give it a really good shake and it's not too bad.  It's definitely runnier than the properly made sanitiser gel, but as long as the alcohol content is high enough, it'll do the job.  It seems to evaporate on my hands in the same way as the commercial stuff.

I’ve got two lots of rubbing alcohol - 70% and 90% - I use the alcohol first, let that dry, and then use aloe vera (one doctor said moisturising is important because high content alcohol is extremely harsh on the skin and you could end up with bad eczema). The reason behind the use of one and then the other is you might not get the concentration right when mixing the two thus making the formula ineffective. 

Probably easier to maintain the required alcohol content with 90% stuff but harder with the lower 70% concentration. 

• Like 1

Is it really something to worry about, the common Flu seems more worrying in numbers.

Between December 9 and December 15 there were:

• An estimated 9,646 GP appointments in England for influenza-like symptoms (calculated using attendance rates and population data) 
  • 586 patients hospitalised by flu in England
  •  174 patients admitted to intensive care with flu, bringing the total in 2019 to 2,092
  • Eight deaths in which flu was a contributing factor, bringing the total since September 30 to 23 
  • 155 new outbreaks of lung-borne illnesses suspected to be flu. 86 of these were in care homes, 56 in schools, seven in hospitals and six 'other' 

4 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Is it really something to worry about, the common Flu seems more worrying in numbers.

Between December 9 and December 15 there were:

• An estimated 9,646 GP appointments in England for influenza-like symptoms (calculated using attendance rates and population data) 
  • 586 patients hospitalised by flu in England
  •  174 patients admitted to intensive care with flu, bringing the total in 2019 to 2,092
  • Eight deaths in which flu was a contributing factor, bringing the total since September 30 to 23 
  • 155 new outbreaks of lung-borne illnesses suspected to be flu. 86 of these were in care homes, 56 in schools, seven in hospitals and six 'other' 

You're obviously shit at numbers

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

You'd assume, or perhaps wishful thinking, that most of those 300 under 60 had underlying health issues. It puts paid to the lets just isolate those over 70. Surely we know enough from what is happening around the world and here and based on that from the top there should already have been an instruction that those with certain health issues should be in isolation now and defiantly if over 70 with health issues.

Absolutely, I'm Baffled as to why they have not mentioned to quarantine the vulnerable with underlying issues. 

People need to Police there own safety and manage the risks accordingly because waiting for the government will end in tears mate 

Edited by Kingman
  • Like 1

Â