Generic Virus Thread

villakram

2 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Yep. And with caution and calm we'll ride this disease off too, and just like normal influenza it'll sadly affect people who are already weakened. If we can buy enough time for our health services to help these people by being mindful with our habits it should not become the world ending event that some people seem to think it'll be.

its not a Flu though... its a different type of virus that presents with flu-like symptoms... 

Its much worse than a flu

Its going to kill a lot more people in a short space of times than compared with a flu

Governments all over the world are not treating it like a flu

Hospitals are struggling to cope with the amount of sick people who have Covid19 than compared with the flu. 

Its not a Flu!! 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

We'll ride it out. But I don't know why your comparing death tolls from a whole season of flu, with what is quite clearly the very start of this pandemic.

It's not world ending. but it's certainly worse than the normal flu in the current state of things and people dismissing it as nothing to worry about are frankly as much a part of the problem as the people overreacting.

Where am I dismissing it? I'm saying we need to be mindful and smart about it. I'm saying we need to buy enough time for the vaccinations to be given to the weakest. That isn't dismissing it. I'm in self isolation myself due to travel, it's not like I'm going around coughing on people.

If we didn't have vaccinations for other strains of flu our governments would treat it just the same. What isn't helping is hamstering, telling people off for not panicking and going against reason to whip up panic.

Edited by magnkarl

13 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Page 50.

Influenza kills people. It has killed a lot of people and will keep killing a lot of people. over 22000 over 65's died of influenza in 2017 in the UK. As of now corona isn't on par with the agressive flu seasons of 16-18.

That isn't what he was asking.

He asked where you were getting this from:

25 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

by all accounts is less hard on the body than a normal flu.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

A graph of the FTSE100 over the last ten years. Dropped to 2011 levels (so far). Trump is going to be grumpy when the same happens in the US...

image.thumb.jpeg.6a4fa0347acde3dd54ba91e7878e203a.jpeg

Any investments in mind? I’m looking at ftse100 company’s that will no doubt recover. Just don’t want to move too early. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

7 minutes ago, Tayls said:

its not a Flu though... its a different type of virus that presents with flu-like symptoms... 

Its much worse than a flu

Its going to kill a lot more people in a short space of times than compared with a flu

Governments all over the world are not treating it like a flu

Hospitals are struggling to cope with the amount of sick people who have Covid19 than compared with the flu. 

Its not a Flu!! 

This times 100.

Flu has a mortality rate of 0.2%, this is more like 4%. If it gets into an old peoples home you are talking what 80-90%?

I do think the current strategy from the government is probably the right one, you cant lock people up for 6 months, what you can do is slow it down and treat the most vulnerable so as not to overwhelm the hospitals. 

9 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Where am I dismissing it? I'm saying we need to be mindful and smart about it. I'm saying we need to buy enough time for the vaccinations to be given to the weakest. That isn't dismissing it. I'm in self isolation myself due to travel, it's not like I'm going around coughing on people.

If we didn't have vaccinations for other strains of flu our governments would treat it just the same. What isn't helping is hamstering, telling people off for not panicking and going against reason to whip up panic.

Yeah but we do have a vaccination for other strains of flu.

Nobody is telling people off for not panicking. They're telling people off for the implication that there's nothing to worry about and this is just like the normal flu.

That results in people not changing their behaviour and not taking the advice they're given seriously. It's dangerous.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, snowychap said:

That isn't what he was asking.

He asked where you were getting this from:

Well, reports from many different countries say that in 80% of cases the symptoms are mild to moderate. 

I.e. NPR.org or WHO's own pages.

In 80% of known cases, COVID-19 causes mild to moderate illness, according to a report of a joint World Health Organization-China mission of 25 infectious disease experts held in China late last month.

The reports from more developed countries like Norway or Denmark has the number as high as 95%. 

1 minute ago, magnkarl said:

Well, reports from many different countries say that in 80% of cases the symptoms are mild to moderate. 

The reports from more developed countries like Norway or Denmark has the number as high as 95%. 

"mild to moderate" includes anything from a cough right up to pneumonia. That report specifically says

80% of laboratory confirmed patients have had mild to moderate disease, which includes
non-pneumonia and pneumonia cases

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

That doesn't support your claim of 'by all accounts is less hard on the body than a normal flu'.

Just now, Stevo985 said:

"mild to moderate" includes anything from a cough right up to pneumonia. That report specifically says

Yes, and how many % of the population do you think have pneumonia yearly due to colds\flu etc? Let's compare apples to apples. If you have a compromised immune system both corona and a common cold can be extremely dangerous. Banging the drum for panic really isn't going help people who are scared or change their behaviour for the better.

Just now, magnkarl said:

Yes, and how many % of the population do you think have pneumonia yearly due to colds\flu etc? Let's compare apples to apples. If you have a compromised immune system both corona and a common cold can be extremely dangerous. Banging the drum for panic really isn't going help people who are scared or change their behaviour for the better.

Who is banging the drum for panic? Your claim was Covid-19 was less hard on the body than normal flu, and you also suggested it's less deadly than normal flu.

Nothing seems to support either of those claims. 

Again, I'm not suggesting people panic. But I certainly am suggesting people treat it more seriously than the normal flu. And people who don't heed that advice and don't change their behaviour are a problem. Again, just to be crystal clear, I am not saying those who don't PANIC are a problem. I'm saying people who don't treat this seriously are a problem.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Surprised and disappointed to see people are still not washing theirs hands after going to the toilet in the pub the other day. 

My willy hasn't got Corona mate.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, magnkarl said:

Let's compare apples to apples.

The only apples to apples comparison you were doing by claiming that 'by all accounts is less hard on the body than a normal flu' was saying that 'by all accounts Pink Ladies are nicer than Braeburns'.

Â