Generic Virus Thread

villakram

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

That bastion of middle class wankerdom Mumsnet I think kicked that one off

tbf to VT regulars who use mumsnet  , I've got friends in Oz and the panic seemed to be going around there a good few weeks back , i think it just spread by natural de-selection of social media  , mumsnet probably just followed many other social media type outlets in spreading it

Anecdotal time , back in December I had to visit supermarkets and buy up around 1000 packets of various brands of porridge , i wasn't wiping stores out but when you start filling a trolley with 30 packets of porirdge , you get a few things happen  .... 1) is people laugh at you and say " you must really like porridge"  , 2) people would say " are you stocking up for Brexit " and 3 , people would head to the porridge counter and buy a load of packets for themselves  , almost as if to say what does he know that I don't    ... this isn't limited to porridge i have to do a similar project on other food goods and they pretty much follow the same 3 patterns 

just seems to be human nature I guess

From O'Hare airport in Chicago. Something like 4-5h queues apparently.

Seriously, anyone who doesn't absolutely have to travel should avoid it surely. Can't be many worse places to be than an airport atm.

a15d6a388b264415b2d00e234167223e_md.jpgbe13b67b7cab45fdb92cf6e1b77c41d3_md.jpg

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

Just now, sne said:

From O'Hare airport in Chicago.

Seriously, anyone who doesn't absolutely have to travel should avoid it surely. Can't be many worse places to be than an airport atm.

a15d6a388b264415b2d00e234167223e_md.jpgbe13b67b7cab45fdb92cf6e1b77c41d3_md.jpg

no mass gatherings , except at airports  , that should help in not spreading the virus 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Every time I look at the news, things have ramped up considerably. I probably have enough food for a couple of weeks, but I'm starting to wonder if it's enough.

I just popped to McDonald’s, just so we can preserve what we have in cupboards/freezer a bit longer :lol: 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

tbf to VT regulars who use mumsnet  , I've got friends in Oz and the panic seemed to be going around there a good few weeks back , i think it just spread by natural de-selection of social media  , mumsnet probably just followed many other social media type outlets in spreading it

Anecdotal time , back in December I had to visit supermarkets and buy up around 1000 packets of various brands of porridge , i wasn't wiping stores out but when you start filling a trolley with 30 packets of porirdge , you get a few things happen  .... 1) is people laugh at you and say " you must really like porridge"  , 2) people would say " are you stocking up for Brexit " and 3 , people would head to the porridge counter and buy a load of packets for themselves  , almost as if to say what does he know that I don't    ... this isn't limited to porridge i have to do a similar project on other food goods and they pretty much follow the same 3 patterns 

I used to help one of mates dads out at the weekend when he would sell pet food/supplies on local markets (as I got older I realised he was probably stealing it from his day job as a lorry driver). Anyway, like you said we’d be there for hours with no customers, then a couple of people stop and have a look, couple more wonder what they are looking at and stop too. All of a sudden you’ve got a rush of people grabbing bags of birds seed and dog bones all because of this bizarre human nature FOMO. 

The thing is, with the increasingly likely prospect of enforced isolation for many - the "nutters" buying up all our loo roll and pasta might just be right. They're still nutters and the behaviours we've seen in our supermarkets are appalling - but right now, having enough food and loo roll to last you a few weeks "just in case" isn't the dumbest thing you can do - it might be quite the opposite.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

The thing is, with the increasingly likely prospect of enforced isolation for many - the "nutters" buying up all our loo roll and pasta might just be right. They're still nutters and the behaviours we've seen in our supermarkets are appalling - but right now, having enough food and loo roll to last you a few weeks "just in case" isn't the dumbest thing you can do - it might be quite the opposite.

I still don't get it. You can still pop to your local an get almost everything you will need. Actually using your locals now is probably the best thing to do, help them out in this time of need.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

When Wuhan containment failed we sat down and worked out what we’d need for a family of four to manage 6-8 weeks indoors, as a reasonable worst case timeframe if supply chains broke down and/or infection rates were going through the roof & we didn’t fancy the supermarket trip.

Got it all in slow time over a couple of weeks, but if it’s not needed it just means lower shopping bills for 6 months as we run it all down again - except for the UHT milk which can go down the sink...

No idea why that’s considered idiotic, it’s just prudent risk management for a high impact, low-medium probability event. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Yep, and for some time now (way before this all kicked off) I began warming to Thanos’ logic to be honest, perhaps that’s why I’m less sympathetic to this situation than others, I dislike the human race, bottom line, and if something comes along to eradicate a portion of it well I guess I just don’t care that much, sorry if that offends some of your senses.

Anyway, I’ll duck out of this thread as I’m obviously in a minority of one and some of you guys have done a fine job in turning this thread into something more akin to a pre-apocalypse support group on Facebook.

I’m not sure why you’re surprised that being happy with large numbers of the population being killed puts you in the minority. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

I’m not sure why you’re surprised that being happy with large numbers of the population being killed puts you in the minority. 

Cabinet Post awaits when the dust settles :trollface:

36 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

29 minutes ago, Genie said:

I used to help one of mates dads out at the weekend when he would sell pet food/supplies on local markets (as I got older I realised he was probably stealing it from his day job as a lorry driver). Anyway, like you said we’d be there for hours with no customers, then a couple of people stop and have a look, couple more wonder what they are looking at and stop too. All of a sudden you’ve got a rush of people grabbing bags of birds seed and dog bones all because of this bizarre human nature FOMO. 

There really is something in it.

Isn’t it a fairly well known technique of traders to employ buyers or interested people to nudge the first sales along.

Pretty much the same thing with the first bridge I ever sold.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, sne said:

Pretty sobering press conference on Swedish telly just now.

The prime minister and a bunch of responsible people pretty much admitted to Sweden having run out of medical supplies and since a bunch of countries has enforced export embargo's on these things we are up shits creek.

They also informed that senior citizens should not leave their apartments even to go shopping and should find other means of getting food delivered.

Shouldn't really come as a surprise to anyone living in Sweden just how bad things actually are but I didn't think they would admit it this early on.

Our strategy to handle this is pretty much hope for the best and yeah, that's it.

I don't know what to say after reading this. This is possibly what is to come from our leaders for all of us. I am seriously worried that we are not being told just how bad this is, and I am one of those who thinks it is very bad. You take care mate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, markavfc40 said:

I don't know what to say after reading this. This is possibly what is to come from our leaders for all of us. I am seriously worried that we are not being told just how bad this is, and I am one of those who thinks it is very bad. You take care mate.

Thanks!

Sure I'll be fine but I'm honestly worried about my parents.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Thanks!

Sure I'll be fine but I'm honestly worried about my parents.

Yes same here. My mom is 75 (dad died 18 years ago) and brother who has kidney issues.  I don't have a clue obviously but you sense this will wipe out millions if we don't get a grip on it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Â